It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:26 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:26 pm 

lidnariq wrote:
Mac might have been SCSI? I don't know how early they grew the external SCSI port.

Our entry level scanner only supported serial and (bi-directional) parallel ports. Note that they didn't release two separate products for the two platforms, but actually included the software for both in one package, and it's obviously costly to have a (relatively) cheap device supporting three different methods of connection, so there was no SCSI and MAC users would connect it via a parallel port. SCSI was so uncommon on PCs at that time anyway.

I'm not sure but I think the more expensive models might support both parallel and SCSI ports (but not serial), so that PC users could use parallel (the card was included anyway) and MAC users could choose from either (though SCSI was probably preferred).

Even more ironic was that, our PC actually had SCSI in it for some reasons.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:43 pm 

The earliest of Macs—apparently the Mac Plus was the first with SCSI—used the same DB25 connector as the PC for the parallel port.

The pinout is substantially different—DB25 SCSI vs Centronics—but they're both 8-bit parallel buses with a 9 control signals. It's conceivable that it was practical to implement support for both pinouts... maybe.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:04 pm 

Then it's possible that the so-called bi-directional parallel port was just (MAC) SCSI, and thus the bundled card in high end models was a ISA SCSI card, but they never called it that.

As SCSI was uncommon for PCs anyway, I think they opted not to support both pinouts. Then then could charge PC users who bought the cheap model(like us) for another propriety card.

Note that as EPSON was a Japanese company, and that the MACs were much more popular than PCs (local systems such as PC88/PC98 dominated their market before MACs became popular, and PCs were not popular until WIN95 was released.) It is quite possible that they didn't care much for PC users (or read: intentionally screwed over PC users to make MACs superior).