A question about "#>" and "#<" in 6502

Discuss technical or other issues relating to programming the Nintendo Entertainment System, Famicom, or compatible systems. See the NESdev wiki for more information.

Moderator: Moderators

yesyesyall

A question about "#>" and "#<" in 6502

Post by yesyesyall »

On the APU basics page of the NESDev wiki, there is some code that "plays a 400 Hz square wave (50% duty) at maximum volume: "

Code: Select all

jsr init_apu

lda #<279
sta $4002

lda #>279
sta $4003

lda #%10111111
sta $4000
I know that #% is how you get the literal value for a binary number, and #$ is how you do that for hexadecimal numbers, but I have seen decimal literals represented as e.g. "lda #255". So, my question is, what are the "#>" and "#<" doing here? What are these operators?

Maybe it is an assembler-specific thing, so I am using ca65 if that matters.
lidnariq

Re: A question about "#>" and "#<" in 6502

Post by lidnariq »

http://cc65.github.io/doc/ca65.html#ss5.5

> and < are special unary operators that take some 8-bit subset of their argument

In this example, #<279 is equivalent to #(279 & 255), and is equal to #$17

(This behavior is assembler specific, and most-but-not-all 6502 assemblers use this syntax)
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

# modifies an instruction to take a literal value rather than fetch a value from an address. The characters that follow it don't change this.

% means the number that follows is binary. It doesn't matter if it's supposed to be a literal value or an address, that's determined by the # not the %.

$ is the same just for hexadecimal.

< means to use only the low byte (bits 0-7) of the number, it does not matter if that number was prefixed with % or #. (It is the same as number & 255.)

> means to use only the high byte (bits 8-15) of the number. (It is the same as number >> 8.)

<$1234 = $34
>$1234 = $12
symbol = $1234
<symbol = $34
>symbol = $12
# modifies the instruction.
%,$ modifies how a number is written.
<,> selects the low or high byte of a 16-bit value.
These three things are all independent. You could use all three of them on the same operand, if you wanted. # only works with instructions (and not in a table of bytes, for example).

This is the ca65 meaning, at least. In NESASM < and > only work as instruction modifiers, which is maybe a little strange.
Quietust

Post by Quietust »

Be warned that "<" and ">" are not standard notation, and some assemblers may have completely different ways of specifying this. Of note, early versions of the CopyNES BIOS contained a rather severe bug (a few broken instructions in the "MicroBug" feature) as a result of trying to use this syntax in an assembler that didn't support it.
Quietust, QMT Productions
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
yesyesyall

Post by yesyesyall »

Thanks so much, everyone. It makes sense now.

Good point about the presence of the binary operator not necessarily indicating a literal value, rainwarrior. I haven't considered the possibility of using a binary number for an address, so that's food for thought. Clears things up!
Pokun

Post by Pokun »

Then of course you probably wouldn't normally type an address in binary or decimal. Binary is useful when you see the number as flags or something like that, and wants it to be clear in your source code what flags you set and clear. Hexadecimal is useful for addresses, but I guess many people use it for about everything. Decimal is only useful when you want a number to be more human readable, like the value in a loop counter.

Personally I mostly use hexadecimal for about everything, including loop counters, (although the $ is annoying to type on Swedish keyboards as it requires the AltGr key) except certain flags that I use binary for. I only use decimal for assembly time math like this:

lda array+7        ;element 7 (which is the eighth element) in the array
  lda #NUMBER*2      ;double the number
  lda #NUMBER/2      ;half of the number
  ;etc
FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

Post by FrankenGraphics »

It's also convenient to type #0 to clear some register, especially if you have $ hidden behind AltGr
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

I only use binary (mostly for bit masks) and hex, never decimal. My main reason for avoiding decimal numbers is because they can easily be confused with hex numbers (even though I have them colored differently using syntax highlighting), and this has caused me some annoying bugs in the past. Better avoid this sort of confusion and always use the base that often makes more sense. Binary is easy to spot, so there's no problem in using that.

As for using binary for addresses, it may not make much sense for CPU addresses, but breaking up PPU addresses into bit fields is a very useful thing to do when manipulating the various tables that exist over there (pattern, name and attribute), so I sometimes do find myself loading partial PPU addresses in binary form.
thefox

Post by thefox »

It always surprises me how adamant some people are using hex for absolutely everything. Frankly, I get quite annoyed when reading code where hex has been used where decimal would have made much more sense (and vice versa). I'm talking about cases like adding 100 to a score counter, but using $64 in the code.

Personally, I try to use the base which makes the code easiest to understand. I can't say that I've run into decimal vs. hex bugs like tokumaru.
Download STREEMERZ for NES from fauxgame.com! — Some other stuff I've done: fo.aspekt.fi
Pokun

Post by Pokun »

At first I also thought it was very annoying to use hexadecimal for everything when the assembler allowed other bases. But I was taught that it was a convention so I'd thought I better get used to it.
It's still annoying to type that stupid $ character (AltGr+4) all the time, but I've gotten quicker at it, and I think using $64 instead of 100 have given me a better feel for hexadecimal values (I look them up in the Windows calculator just in case though, haha). I usually keep comments that explains things in decimal if necessary.

Another reason I stick mostly to hexadecimal is simply because Notepad++ refuses to highlight certain combinations of characters. Especially the # plus a number (#$ or #% plus a number works for some reason).
Dwedit

Post by Dwedit »

You can file an issue on the bug tracker for that kind of thing. Scintilla is open source, and so is Notepad++.
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

Notepad++ highlights everything properly for me. I even use different colors for different bases.
Pokun

Post by Pokun »

How do you set up the numbers in your highlighting file Tokumaru? I put $ % #$ #% in "Prefix 2" and A B C D E F a b c d e f in "Extras 1", any other combination seems to break hexadecimal highlighting. All other number fields are empty.

And how do you make it do different bases with different highlighting? I guess you don't use the Number style for numbers?
Dwedit wrote:You can file an issue on the bug tracker for that kind of thing. Scintilla is open source, and so is Notepad++.
I don't know what a bug tracker is though. I will have to do some research first.