More NSF Requests

Discuss NSF files, FamiTracker, MML tools, or anything else related to NES music.

Moderator: Moderators

NewRisingSun

Re: More NSF Requests

Post by NewRisingSun »

It seems that apart from the beep that plays when a text character appears, there are no sound effects whatsoever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XKJzEwl7zs

At least I did not hear any in that final battle, where I would expect a healthy dose of whoosh and swoosh sounds. How odd.

I did notice though that song 15 sounds different than in my rip, and worst of all, the ending music is missing. Time to update the rip, I guess. (Didn't have YouTube videos in 2006 of that game to check against... :))
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

Karmic wrote:unfortunately he does not abandon NSF Live purely due to some of the features it offers
What are its desirable features, by the way? (I try to keep my ear open for improvements I might eventually incorporate into NSFPlay...)
NewRisingSun

Post by NewRisingSun »

You can see live which memory addresses have been used and which ones haven't.
Karmic

Post by Karmic »

rainwarrior wrote:
Karmic wrote:unfortunately he does not abandon NSF Live purely due to some of the features it offers
What are its desirable features, by the way? (I try to keep my ear open for improvements I might eventually incorporate into NSFPlay...)
He told me these:
- The memory viewer.
- Interface looking like SIDPlay. (...not expecting you to do that :p)
- DPCM sample ripper
- WAV output
- Waveform visualizer
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

Ah, thanks for the ideas. I'd considered a DPCM ripper sometimes, but never got around to it. Looking at the memory viewer I see that it's actually like a "code data log" viewer, which I can see why is very useful for ripping. NSFPlay only has a hex memory viewer, not so useful.
NewRisingSun

Post by NewRisingSun »

I have added the Ending song, corrected the Healing song, and improved the song order a little in my Yuushi no Monshou NSF. As I mentioned before, there do not seem to be any sound effects apart from a triangle channel beep when text appears.

No, it still does not play in NSFLive because the $6000-$7FFF address range is native to the original music code, but does in Nintendulator, NEStopia, FCEUX, NSFPlug and Notsofatso. I had to add two writes to $5FF6 and $5FF7 to get it working in Nintendulator, even though I am writing exactly the same as the initial bank register values in the NSF header. FCEUX will not do the seam at $7FFF->$8000 correctly if I disable bankswitching by setting the NSF header's initial bank values to 00 altogether, so.

Edit: updated, see below.
Last edited by NewRisingSun on Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
MrNorbert1994

Post by MrNorbert1994 »

Karmic wrote:
It's kind of insulting to have a rip called "broken" just because it doesn't work in an inaccurate player.
Well... I have to agree with this part! : P

NSFLive has a LOT of problems - like totally crap VRC7 and NAMCO163 emulation just to say a few.
I tried to reach about "jsr" about this, but he never replied me about it's supposed "updated" version of this player.

It is such a good player to be honest. : P

Also about the rips: I maintain more than 3500 NSF files in that archive, so it is not easy to track down and mark them which are really broken and not...
Not to mention when did STUPID (I can't emphasis this enough...) things like:
Took a supposed "broken" FDS game and imported into Famitracker then extracted as NSF...

I'm not doing that crap anymore that's for sure. : P
MrNorbert1994

Post by MrNorbert1994 »

Reripped this one.
Some songs were in different banks and so with SFXs...
Attachments
Choujin Sentai Jetman (SFX).nsf
(41.46 KiB) Downloaded 141 times
NewRisingSun

Post by NewRisingSun »

Second update to my Yuushi no Monshou NSF. I have moved all code and data from $6000 to $8000. Now it plays in NSF Live v0.95. Note that NSF Live 0.95 will not play the FDS sound channel if the main volume in Settings->Mixer is below 23%. Odd.

I have also created an NSFe file with track names and durations.
Attachments
Deep Dungeon 2 - Yuushi no Monshou.nsf
(8.36 KiB) Downloaded 132 times
Deep Dungeon 2 - Yuushi no Monshou.nsfe
(8.77 KiB) Downloaded 132 times
ap9

Post by ap9 »

rainwarrior wrote:What are the other NSFe players? I only know of NotSoFatso.
Mednafen and Mesen support NSFe. (Both have their share of limitations and bugs, of course.)
MrNorbert1994

Post by MrNorbert1994 »

Another SFX rerip.
Attachments
Stick Hunter - Exciting Ice Hockey (SFX).nsf
(24.01 KiB) Downloaded 126 times
Sour

Post by Sour »

ap9 wrote:Mednafen and Mesen support NSFe. (Both have their share of limitations and bugs, of course.)
If you're aware of bugs/limitations in Mesen's NSFe support, please do tell - I'm more than happy to fix them.
NewRisingSun

Post by NewRisingSun »

I have updated my 11-year old Green Beret/Rush'n Attack NSF: Moved all code/data from $6000 to $8000 for increased NSF player compatibility --- this was particularly desirable since the game does not even use the FDS sound channel, yet the Famicom Disk System version has tracks not present in the cartridge versions. Sound effects had already been included in the previous version of the NSF. Due to the way the disk system version stores its music data, further size optimization is not feasible.

Also improved the song order, and produced an NSFe file with correct track names, durations, and a playlist without sound effects and without the intro-less tracks.
Attachments
Green Beret, Rush'n Attack.nsf
(63.49 KiB) Downloaded 132 times
Green Beret, Rush'n Attack.nsfe
(64.33 KiB) Downloaded 124 times
MrNorbert1994

Post by MrNorbert1994 »

Modified + chopped the code here and there, arranged the tunes.
Attachments
Esper Boukentai (SFX).nsf
(13.81 KiB) Downloaded 126 times
MrNorbert1994

Post by MrNorbert1994 »

Added SFXs to this one. The original rip didn't consider to have a proper lookuptable. : P
Attachments
Ultraman Club 3 - Mata Mata Shiyutsugeki!! Ultra Kyoudai (SFX).nsf
(16.19 KiB) Downloaded 125 times