What is the Dream TV?

Are you new to 6502, NES, or even programming in general? Post any of your questions here. Remember - the only dumb question is the question that remains unasked.

Moderator: Moderators

lvl3

What is the Dream TV?

Post by lvl3 »

Hi :)
A little bit about myself. I love classic games :) My absolute favorite system is Super Nintendo (which I have just over 400 games) and my runners up are NES and N64 (which I have the ultra HDMI mod for and love) though I do have 22 consoles (doubles of the best) so I jump around alot.

My question is, what is the absolute best 4:3 tv ever made? I currently have two 67 inch Samsung 1080p 120hz in my living room, and for modern day systems, and my ultra HDMI N64, those are great, but I hate streched games, and I feel something is lost in translation when hooking up an 80s/90s console to a 1080p tv. So, I've decided to sell my 80 inch quatron in my man cave, and turn it into an 80~inch 4:3 (id be willing to go up to 20 inches down if need be for the best tv... But ideally it would be around 80.)

Also, to nip it in the bud right now, I'm not looking for a projector. I've never been a fan of them. They never seem as sharp and someone walking in front of them really takes me out of the game (far more so than a normal tv)
Sumez

Re: What is the Dream TV?

Post by Sumez »

You want a professional broadcast monitor with RGB inputs.
I'd say either go for a Sony PVM or BVM (easy to find, but expensive, and don't expect to go above 20"), or a NEC XM37 or similar (difficult to find as far as I can tell, and I don't know a lot about this range).

PVM is usually the go-to choice. But if you want a cheaper consumer brand, any later Sony model branded with a "Trinitron" tube is certain to be top notch. For a good mix of cheap, easy availability, good quality, and a better looking design, the whole B&O "MX" series is a safe way to go. I regularly see these up for graps for free, from people just looking to get rid of their huge old CRTs. I'd stay clear of consumer TVs if you aren't in Europe, though, as American TVs don't usually have scart plugs or native RGB support.

You're right to stay clear of projectors btw. It's almost impossible to find a good one with no lag.
lvl3

Post by lvl3 »

I'm down with a european TV... I guess I should be asking what the best big screen TV is, like the best model of big screen crt before widescreen wiped them out. I 60/65 inch models on trade pages for $50-free just because people want the space, but I don't just want big, I want the best big there is lol, and my budget is closer to $1000, though I'd pay more if there is a big model worth it.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

I would love a Commodore 64 monitor, myself, but that's mostly a nostalgia thing (though I do think they are pretty ruggedly made).

For quality I don't think you can beat a good PVM, if you've got the money for one.