Keep logged on (cookies) with Youtube but not Google

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

Bregalad

Keep logged on (cookies) with Youtube but not Google

Post by Bregalad »

I'd like to stay automatically logged on on Youtube in order to be able to have the automatic suggetions of video I'd be interested to (a real time killer...) and to see channels I've subscribed to.

However the problem is that they use the "Google +" account for that. Then Google also monitors all my google search I do and I do not want them to be linked to my account. I try to use duck duck go or bing whenever possible, but let's admit it, the results of searches are shitty 60% of the time while Google more often gets what I want. Which means when I want to search the web without Google tracking me I need to:
  • Attempt to search with Duck Duck Go or Bing
  • See and at least half of the time "shit, this search engine doesn't understand what I mean"
  • Open a privacy browsing window
  • Google search in the privacy window and get the result I want without being logged in
This tends to be tedious. But if I log out, then my Youtube is extremely shitty and generic and only show recent hits by celebrities or whathever, completely useless.

Is there a better way to handle the problem or should I continue like this ?
rainwarrior

Re: Keep logged on (cookies) with Youtube but not Google

Post by rainwarrior »

I use Chrome's feature to have multiple user profiles for some stuff like this. i.e. I have one profile each for various twitter accounts, etc. It's just a click in the top right to open a new window with a different profile.

In your case I'd create a profile YouTube/Google that's always logged into that and just open that when I want to use it.

Different than an "incognito" window because the profiles will stay logged into stuff and continue their session.
Fisher

Post by Fisher »

I use different browsers for different tasks.
Altough not very resource efficient, it works fine.
Garth

Post by Garth »

I've always been pleased with duckduckgo's search results. I don't have a YouTube or Google account at all, so I don't log in; but as long as I don't close the browser, YouTube gives the relevant suggestions along the right edge, according to the things I watched on YouTube since the last time I opened the browser. I mostly watch computer history, aviation, and WWII stuff.
http://WilsonMinesCo.com/ lots of 6502 resources
Bregalad

Post by Bregalad »

rainwarrior wrote:I use Chrome
So you are spied on by Google even when not using Google search nor using Youtube. Great !
I've always been pleased with duckduckgo's search results.
Good for you then. But my personal experience is otherwise...
YouTube gives the relevant suggestions along the right edge, according to the things I watched on YouTube since the last time I opened the browser.
So in order to have the correct suggestions made, you need to never close your browser ? Sounds like a major problems with memory leaks - I've experienced people who leaves a browser open and leaves the computer there for a week and then the computer is almost nonfunctional or very laggy as the memory is more than full.
I use different browsers for different tasks.
I guess it can do the trick... although it's not very different than using privacy windows for google search if I have to open a 2nd browser that don't log me in Google. Basically it's the same thing.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

Bregalad wrote:
rainwarrior wrote:I use Chrome
So you are spied on by Google even when not using Google search nor using Youtube. Great !
I'm not sure what assumptions you're making about what Chrome does, exactly, but Firefox has a very similar "user profiles" feature, so anything I said could apply to that instead. (Its UI for it is slightly more out of the way than Chrome's.)

Or there's Chromium too, of course. I have no idea what browser is acceptable to you in this respect.
Bregalad wrote:I guess it can do the trick... although it's not very different than using privacy windows for google search if I have to open a 2nd browser that don't log me in Google. Basically it's the same thing.
The thing I was suggesting is better than that, you get two (or more) windows with separate "users" and they each have normal persistence of states like login etc.