NES to USB Keyboard interface?

Discuss hardware-related topics, such as development cartridges, CopyNES, PowerPak, EPROMs, or whatever.

Moderator: Moderators

lidnariq

Re: NES to USB Keyboard interface?

Post by lidnariq »

rainwarrior wrote:Ah, so Krzysiobal's cartridge triggers an IRQ each time a byte is finished buffering.
A little less clever, I think? The keyboard's data line itself can pull /IRQ low ... and extra hardware appears to keep it low until the keyboard has clocked something in 9 times (i.e. ignoring the parity bit). So /IRQ appears to be asserted for the entire transmission. At 11 bits and 30-50µs per bit, each keyboard transmission will take 330-550µs, or roughly 600-1000 CPU cycles. The hardware assist does deserialize the bits—reads from (mask $F001) $5001 and $5000 return the most recent 4 bits clocked in or the 4 bits before that, respectively.
More minimally, the buffer could be done in software? If we just trigger an IRQ on each falling edge of the clock and let the CPU read the data line directly.
Yeah? Might be able to just connect Kbd Clock to /IRQ ... I don't think the lack of acknowledgement will be a major flaw?

NMI, other IRQs, and OAMDMA will interfere with keyboard receipt, but that's basically guaranteed of any solution that doesn't buffer the entire stream.
Requires the expansion port or cartridge access for the IRQ, but maybe not as bad as polling the clock, and relatively few parts?
Really depends on whether you consider that an acceptable cost, of course.

I'll note that in the NES expansion port, 11 of the 15 signals of the Famicom expansion port (including /IRQ; notably NOT including OUT0,1,or 2) are on the same side as the Audio In pin. Seems like it would be practical to extend INL's audio mixing board.
krzysiobal

Post by krzysiobal »

So /IRQ appears to be asserted for the entire transmission
Not true, it is only low after all other bytes have been clocked and latched in buffer.
infiniteneslives

Post by infiniteneslives »

lidnariq wrote:I'll note that in the NES expansion port, 11 of the 15 signals of the Famicom expansion port (including /IRQ; notably NOT including OUT0,1,or 2) are on the same side as the Audio In pin. Seems like it would be practical to extend INL's audio mixing board.
Part of the issue is that it's also challenging to use my method to mate with two pins which are directly next to each other. It may be possible to make it work by staggering even and odd pins at different heights so neighboring pins don't short out with each other where the contact solders to the board. It wouldn't be too hard to expand my method to having a board on each side of the EXP port connector if one were already going try and mate with all 11 or more pins. I just saw that as beyond the scope when designing the board.

My method could probably work with all 48 pins, I'm just not sure it's the best solution when mating with more than a few pins. It's still not compatible with toploaders or clones. As more an more high end clones become popular in the market the EXP port starts to become less appealing.
If you're gonna play the Game Boy, you gotta learn to play it right. -Kenny Rogers
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

So ... КД522 would pull /IRQ low whenever KBD DATA is low ... but that actually gets in a fight with the КР1533ТМ2 which isn't open-collector...

A read from $5002 reset all 8 bits of the shift register to 0 and the 74'74's output to high... I've got to be confusing myself. The inverter should mean that /IRQ is only driven low by the 74'74 9 clocks after the first time KbdClock falls while KbdData is high ... i.e. not including the start bit?
infiniteneslives wrote:Part of the issue is that it's also challenging to use my method to mate with two pins which are directly next to each other. It may be possible to make it work by staggering even and odd pins at different heights so neighboring pins don't short out with each other where the contact solders to the board. It wouldn't be too hard to expand my method to having a board on each side of the EXP port connector if one were already going try and mate with all 11 or more pins.
I was more thinking of just grabbing +5V, ground, and two random signals on that same side. I don't think there's any point in bothering getting 11 of the 15 famicom expansion port pins and not making the full connector.
krzysiobal

Post by krzysiobal »

So ... КД522 would pull /IRQ low whenever KBD DATA is low
This diode is not soldered (what the russian text below says)
A read from $5002 reset all 8 bits of the shift register to 0 and the 74'74's output to high... I've got to be confusing myself. The inverter should mean that /IRQ is only driven low by the 74'74 9 clocks after the first time KbdClock falls while KbdData is high ... i.e. not including the start bit?
This cartridge is compatible only with XT keyboards, which consist of 9 bit transfers (start+8 bits, without parity and stop bit), data valid on falling edge of clock.
On XT keyboards start is high and this is what is clocked into 74'74 input after 9 clocks.

More info at 5.4 from:
http://ilkerf.tripod.com/c64tower/F_Keyboard_FAQ.html

I did myself AT->XT converter (based on attiny 13) which makes it compatible with almost any PS/2 or DIN5 AT keyboard.

Now according to yours thread - Atmega8 + VUSB should be enough to communicate with USB mouse/keyboard as USB host and translate it to more NES friendly protocol.
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

krzysiobal wrote:This cartridge is compatible only with XT keyboards, which consist of 9 bit transfers (start+8 bits, without parity and stop bit), data valid on falling edge of clock.
On XT keyboards start is high and this is what is clocked into 74'74 input after 9 clocks.
Ah-hah. And most pertinently, the idle voltage is low and the start bit is high. So 9 clocks later, the high start bit has been inverted and latched and is now pulling /IRQ low. Got it.
Now according to yours thread - Atmega8 + VUSB should be enough to communicate with USB mouse/keyboard as USB host and translate it to more NES friendly protocol.
V-USB is a device-only firmware, not able to be a host.

Honestly, it feels like it "should" be possible to bit-bang a minimal host implementation that can only talk to a keyboard, but... or even to use a micro with actual USB PHY hardware to do the same ... but there's no evidence that anyone has done so.
infiniteneslives

Post by infiniteneslives »

lidnariq wrote:Honestly, it feels like it "should" be possible to bit-bang a minimal host implementation that can only talk to a keyboard, but... or even to use a micro with actual USB PHY hardware to do the same ... but there's no evidence that anyone has done so.
I think bit-banging is your only option unless the mcu USB phy specifically supports hosting/OTG. Many mcus with USB phy only support device operations I would assume. In my experience with a STM32 mcu which has USB, but lacks OTG, the abstraction that the hardware provides doesn't give you enough control to act as a host.
If you're gonna play the Game Boy, you gotta learn to play it right. -Kenny Rogers
krzysiobal

Post by krzysiobal »

Why just not spend 0.33$ instead of reinventing wheel?
https://pl.aliexpress.com/item/MOSUNX-F ... 18151.html

Implementing simple USB Host for HID devices on AVR sounds like cool topic for project for holidays =)
tepples

Post by tepples »

But what would you use a keyboard for, other than a BASIC interpreter? I ask because the PS/2 to controller port adapter implementation by tpw_rules got hung up on making a demonstration app that was a player for Z-machine (Infocom interactive fiction) story files.
krzysiobal

Post by krzysiobal »

There are lot of russian cartridges for famiclones with built-in keyboard (even with possibility to connect LPT printer) that uses keyboard for:
* word processor,
* game menu navigation,

There are also some funny Windows remakes (mouse cursor is controller via joypad), but it contains MS-DOS with possiblity for keyb typing :D
Attachments
Windows 2000 (Ch)[!].png
Windows 2000 (Ch)[!].png (35.62 KiB) Viewed 9640 times
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

krzysiobal wrote:Why just not spend 0.33$ instead of reinventing wheel? [MOSUNX Futural USB Female to PS/2 Male Adapter]
That's one of those passive converters that relies on the microcontroller inside the keyboard/mouse still being able to speak PS/2.

I mean, I do still think it's a surprisingly large number of the available USB keyboards and mice ... but a passive converter won't help if the user tries to use a USB keyboard that can't.

From a semantic point of view, it does help set expectations.
krzysiobal

Post by krzysiobal »

Lol, true, I measured two adapters I have (one for PS2 keyboard, one for PS2 mice) and there is direct connection between:
PS/2 data -> USB D-
PS/2 clock -> USB D+

I have same adapter for PS/2->DB9 and I remember that it worked ONLY with the mouse it was shipped with so not dual PS/2 / DB9 mouse exists. What about PS2 / USB i dont know because all USB keyboards I've tested worked without problems.

BTW. Whats the cheapest way to make USB hub? :D

For STM4 there exist USB Host library (STM 4 Discovery board contains USB host socket)
https://stm32f4-discovery.net/2014/08/l ... x-devices/

I think this chip is all you need:
https://www.maximintegrated.com/en/prod ... 3421E.html
SPI can be bit-bangled using expansion port OUT0-OUT3 pins.

But somebody DID software USB Host in Atmega32:
http://people.ece.cornell.edu/land/cour ... odelisting
emerson

Post by emerson »

I managed to get a ps/2 keyboard interface working via PIC microcontroller, although I still have a few kinks to work out. The biggest issue I'm having is response time. I'm currently holding the keyboard clock line low so all keystrokes are buffered (in the keyboard) until the NES is not reading from the PIC. Then a single keystroke is sent from the keyboard to the PIC and the equivalent family basic key is determined via look-up tables. The PIC then waits for an NES write to the exp_out lines, sends the keystroke to the NES, and the process repeats. With this method, 12 keystrokes takes roughly 6 seconds to fully process.

I think continuously reading, calculating, then buffering keystrokes in the PIC might be faster, but the overall speed will still be bottlenecked by the NES. What are your thoughts? Can anyone think of a way to make this faster?
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

My best guess is that you're detecting the wrong state from whatever software (Family Basic?) you're testing against as "idle", and the amount of time that the keyboard is allowed to talk is a tiny fraction of real time.

If it were my project, I'd throw a logic analyzer at it.
emerson

Post by emerson »

As it turns out my counter that enabled keyboard communication was timing out too early. Increasing this counter fixed the response time issue. Good call lidnariq!

I'll publish my schematic and the PIC code after some more fine tuning.