Retrobright an old SNES?

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

GradualGames

Retrobright an old SNES?

Post by GradualGames »

Anyone tried retrobrighting their old yellowed consoles? My SNES is pretty yellow. This video seems to produce good results.
tokumaru

Re: Retrobright an old SNES?

Post by tokumaru »

I've never used actual retrobright, but hydrogen peroxide alone and sunlight has worked wonders for me. I can't remember if I used it on a SNES, but I distinctly remember buying an incredibly yellowed SNES controller because it was cheap (significantly cheaper than one that wasn't yellowed, but was all scratched up), and making it look like new.
mikejmoffitt

Post by mikejmoffitt »

There are good results, but it will often slowly revert to some extent (4-5 months) and the plastics may become brittle, so do it while acknowledging some risk.
GradualGames

Post by GradualGames »

mikejmoffitt wrote:There are good results, but it will often slowly revert to some extent (4-5 months) and the plastics may become brittle, so do it while acknowledging some risk.
I've read the precise opposite elsewhere that the chemical process actually strengthens the plastic. I thought the brittleness was from the *original* yellowing and might not be affected by this process.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

I actually like the yellowed SNES look, myself.
GradualGames

Post by GradualGames »

rainwarrior wrote:I actually like the yellowed SNES look, myself.
Gives it some distinguished character, eh? :lol:
nesrocks

Post by nesrocks »

This just in:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZYbchvSUDY

TLDW: it seems that a plastic bag, an ozone generator and the sun is the best solution.
https://twitter.com/bitinkstudios <- Follow me on twitter! Thanks!
https://www.patreon.com/bitinkstudios <- Support me on Patreon!
GradualGames

Post by GradualGames »

Hmm now I'm finding links that seem to corroborate that it does permanently change the chemical structure of the plastic.

http://www.vcfed.org/forum/archive/inde ... 30057.html

Now I'm wondering if an expert console modder could simply paint over the yellowed plastic with precisely the same color gray as an original console :lol:
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

nesrocks wrote:TLDW: it seems that a plastic bag, an ozone generator and the sun is the best solution.
What do you mean? The ozone technique didn't make the key as white as the hydrogen peroxide + sunlight did, which was what he ended up using on the computer case in the end.

I'm pretty sure that the stuff I use is the same thing as the cream he showed in the video. It worked great the few times I've used it, but apparently it can fail sometimes, as seen in the video.

EDIT: Here are the results:
retrobright.jpg
Ozone + sunlight is still quite yellow.
Last edited by tokumaru on Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thefox

Post by thefox »

tokumaru wrote:
nesrocks wrote:TLDW: it seems that a plastic bag, an ozone generator and the sun is the best solution.
What do you mean? The ozone technique didn't make the key as white as the hydrogen peroxide + sunlight did, which was what he ended up using on the computer case in the end.
He said it probably would have restored it completely with more time. He didn't have a large enough zip bag to use it on large items like the case.
Download STREEMERZ for NES from fauxgame.com! — Some other stuff I've done: fo.aspekt.fi
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

thefox wrote:He said it probably would have restored it completely with more time.
Then I guess someone has to test it before claiming it's the best solution based on his hunch. From the testing that was done, it's clearly not the best solution.
Pokun

Post by Pokun »

GradualGames wrote:Hmm now I'm finding links that seem to corroborate that it does permanently change the chemical structure of the plastic.

http://www.vcfed.org/forum/archive/inde ... 30057.html

Now I'm wondering if an expert console modder could simply paint over the yellowed plastic with precisely the same color gray as an original console :lol:
Sounds like retrobright and such solutions are only good to make old machines look new again, but bad for preservation.

At least their spirits may be preserved in decap photos, circuit diagrams and ROM dumps, and may be revived in FPGAs and such in the future.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

One strange thing about the SNES is how the top and bottom parts of the case often yellow differently.
GradualGames

Post by GradualGames »

Yeah it sounds like it doesn't even last. I don't see the point. Hence why I'm now considering getting a paint job that just makes it look 99% like the original shade of gray. Only thing is the super nintendo logo would probably get covered up by the paint, unless I were to make some sort of highly precise stencil around it perhaps, haha.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

My experiences with painting plastic weren't the greatest. Even if you can match the color, painting it uniformly and making sure no dust or hair comes near the thing while the paint is wet is pretty hard.