Documenting open bus behavior on the wiki

Discuss technical or other issues relating to programming the Nintendo Entertainment System, Famicom, or compatible systems. See the NESdev wiki for more information.

Moderator: Moderators

rainwarrior

Documenting open bus behavior on the wiki

Post by rainwarrior »

I was surprised that I couldn't seem to find this information anywhere on the Wiki, so I've created a stub article trying to summarize the things I know about how open bus behavior works:
http://wiki.nesdev.com/w/index.php/Open_bus_behavior

This is kind of an obscure area for me, so I'm asking for some proof-reading here. If anybody has corrections/revisions to make, or good references to add, etc. please do so. (If you have something to add but no wiki editing access, you can make your statement here and I'll try to incorporate it.)
tepples

Re: Documenting open bus behavior on the wiki

Post by tepples »

You mentioned in an edit summary about avoiding electrical jargon such as "tri-state". I am aware that some of the wiki gets too technical too fast, and we'll all need to figure out ways to avoid this. So I decided to try adding a section about the electrical basis where this jargon can be confined.

I added a section about the PPU's I/O bus, citing Riding the open bus. I also mentioned Paperboy as relying on only part of a byte being open bus.
Pokun

Post by Pokun »

Oh this is great! Googling open bus doesn't turn up much so this was really missing information.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

Oh, to be clear I think it's probably worth saying "tri-state" somewhere in the article, I just didn't want to use it in the opening sentence. I settled on the word "active" because I thought it was a close semantic match.