Mega Man fan game seeks level designer and pixel artist

A place for your artistic side. Discuss techniques and tools for pixel art on the NES, GBC, or similar platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

tepples

Mega Man fan game seeks level designer and pixel artist

Post by tepples »

A Mega Man fan game project titled Mega Man: Shattered Diamond is seeking a level designer and a pixel artist.
Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Re: Mega Man fan game seeks level designer and pixel artist

Post by Drew Sebastino »

Are there not enough Mega Man games already? :lol:
Pokun

Post by Pokun »

I guess there's never enough Megaman games, haha.
pubby

Post by pubby »

It looks like they already have a 13-man team?

I think I'll pass...
strat

Post by strat »

And with MegaMaker being out, too...

Edit: Oh
All applicants will be asked to create a Mega Maker level to our provided specifications to be judged.
Myask

Post by Myask »

Perhaps they should go seek winners (/entrants) of MaGMML.
Fisher

Post by Fisher »

Pokun wrote:I guess there's never enough Megaman games, haha.
Totally agree with that!! :)

As a kid I always dreamed of a MegaMan game with 2 players simultaneous action.
But I think that would be impractical!!

Guess that I unconsciously memorized as a kid that games with a 2 in the name would be 2 players simultaneous, as Double Dragon 2. This could explain why I was kind of disappointed by MegaMan 2 back in the day... :mrgreen:
But after I figured how great all MegaMan's games are!!
tepples

Post by tepples »

Super Mario Bros. 2: Mario Madness actually lost a 2-player alternating mode compared to its predecessor Super Mario Bros.

I think Mega Man doesn't have 2-player mode because Rock already takes four sprites, half the NES's horizontal coverage, in those scanlines containing his face. Adding Roll or Francesca or whatever her name is would have made the flicker unbearable unless it's a tag-team mechanic like Donkey Kong Country or The Curse of Possum Hollow.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

tepples wrote:I think Mega Man doesn't have 2-player mode because Rock already takes four sprites, half the NES's horizontal coverage, in those scanlines containing his face.
They still didn't add 2-player mode when the series switched to the SNES, though. Also, sprite limitations didn't prevent Astyanax from being made... IIRC, when Astyanax attacks with his axe, he uses 7 or 8 sprites in some scanlines.

Good level layout (that encouraged players to take different routes) and enemy placement (so they wouldn't constantly be on the same level as the players) could possibly allow 2-player Mega Man on the NES, I think, specially if the second player didn't have a separate face sprite.
strat

Post by strat »

Megaman as a rule doesn't lend itself to co-op play, because while it appears to be a run-and-gun, the player is encouraged to stop moving and assess the current situation. You'd have two players arguing to set the pace of the action, while Double Dragon and Contra give you little choice when to move. Though for an entry as bland and predictable as Rockman 6 it could probably work.

Kirby Superstar (and Kirby's Return to Dreamland) and New SMB Wii probably have the best implementation of multiplayer co-op in a platform game.
Myask

Post by Myask »

tokumaru wrote:They still didn't add 2-player mode when the series switched to the SNES, though.
RM7 Vs. mode password wrote:1415
R+L+Start
I think Rock only uses three sprites for his head? three shots as-normal plus his body is definitely 6, though. Standing+shooting sprite has the face add-on in same scanline as the arm cannon, which is 28 pixels wide at most and thus 4 sprites+face's colors = 5.