It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:50 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:11 pm 

Bit more shading for the ships.

Attachment:
title_screen_facing_forwards_with_grid - new-chars-4.png
title_screen_facing_forwards_with_grid - new-chars-4.png [ 12.2 KiB | Viewed 338 times ]

Again, comments appreciated.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:29 pm 

Looks good. Not sure if I prefer new or old title. The faces are good. Have personality.

The new shading on the lower ship's wingtips looks like they're kinda rusting away, though.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:40 pm 

Ha, yeah, I may have gone a bit overboard with the shading. I thought two ships might have been a bit too plain, but will consider. Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:04 pm 

The redrawn heads look fantastic, much better use of color and tons more expression. Perhaps their faces could be made up of sprites to give the heads a more defined skin color and as to not be restricted by the BG attributes?
Also, the second ship down seems to have some strange asymmetry in a few places. In the cockpit it makes sense, but but on places like the edges of the wings it feels kinda out of place IMO. But maybe that's just my dangerous love for symmetry :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:51 pm 

Yes, the ship could do with a bit more cleaning up. I'm back working on the engine for now so will tighten up the symmetry and shading next time around. And make it less rusty!

Thanks again for the feedback!

On the engine side this is the first time I've seriously used the fceux debugger (for anyone who hasn't used it or a similar tool, the tutorial Dougeff posted is excellent https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2XkJQFs0OQ) and I've managed to crunch down the tile extraction to a column and attributes at 3500 cycles, among other things. It's also reminding me again that similar c code doing identical things can lead to vastly different optimisations.

A quick question - what is the most effiecent way in CA65 ASM to either assign a value from one indirect reference to another, or to compare two indirect references to another? In CC65, assigning directly between the two, or adding a value from an indirect reference to another, uses more cycles then assigning one to a var first, and then doing the maths/comparison/assignment from the var to indirect reference. I've literally shaved hundreds of cycles off for loops doing this. Am I missing an even faster trick in ASM?