Indivisible on NES

A place where you can keep others updated about your NES-related projects through screenshots, videos or information in general.

Moderator: Moderators

Kasumi

Indivisible on NES

Post by Kasumi »

It's been a while. I demade the Indivisible Prototype by Lab Zero Games on NES.
Image Image
Image Image
Get it here: https://kasumi.itch.io/indivisible
If you're unfamiliar with the original game, this tweet shows a side by side: https://twitter.com/KasumiDirect/status ... 2007395339
And this shows off some of the animation in the game: https://twitter.com/KasumiDirect/status ... 1388644353

I will admit to sitting on post 99X for a while so this could be post 1000 >_> Anyway, enjoy! It's harder than I'd like, but I believe in you all!
Last edited by Kasumi on Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
dustmop

Re: Indivisible on NES

Post by dustmop »

This is great! Looks excellent. And, as someone who's made a demake before, I know how hard it can be to capture an original, but you've done really well!
M_Tee

Post by M_Tee »

Use of color and shape in those backgrounds is gorgeous.
Memblers
Site Admin

Post by Memblers »

Wow, I've been wondering what you were working on (if you posted about it, I missed it). I've never seen the original, and have only played up to the first boss so far. But this is awesome.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

Congrats on finishing it!

My first normal run of this version had a clear time of 14:24.20

(The jump indicator for the boss helps a lot!)
Rahsennor

Post by Rahsennor »

Holy carp. :shock:

It looks amazing, it plays well and your devlog covered tons of little details I never even thought about. Thanks for posting, and great work!
FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

Post by FrankenGraphics »

This looks absolutely, stunningly beautiful! :O WELL DONE!

I very much like that you went with large meta-sprites despite the per scanline limit. It helps the visual presentation having its own identity.

The 1st boss fire attack seems more aimed at people who've played it/tested this game quite a lot. Switching to bare hands helped a bit with timing evasions, but i've yet not beat it. Maybe i'm just not good enough. :( Are there more bosses after this one?

EDIT: Ok, beat it at last! 36 minutes, including the pause to write the previous. I learned the timings using bare hands, then translated that into getting more careful/conservartive using the axe.

EDIT 2: I noticed you get to start with the axe on the second round!
Kasumi

Post by Kasumi »

Thanks all!

Memblers: I didn't post because I didn't think I'd work on it so long, and the early stuff was not that interesting to this audience. (People who see NES stuff often.)

There is a devlog: http://skullgirls.com/forums/index.php? ... eavy.8488/

My favorite post is this one about button input.

I totally regret not posting updates in more places once I realized I was in it for the long haul.

rainwarrior: You're the first person to publicly post a time (that I know about)!

Rahsennor: There's so much more to write about! In theory. I have post drafts and over 300 gifs recorded over the course of development. Most didn't make it to that thread. Here's one gem: God Mode (Light Spoilers, don't click until you've played!) (You can't actually unlock this, it's just a silly thing I did during development because it was easy.)

But there's some things I need to take care of before I really can write much more. Just getting this done was a struggle with current going-ons.
I very much like that you went with large meta-sprites despite the per scanline limit. It helps the visual presentation having its own identity.
Thanks! This game even handles >64 sprites, but there's only one way to really see that happen and it ain't the vines. :?: I sort of regret the graphical style, but that's a thing I'll probably write a whole giant post on.
Switching to bare hands helped a bit with timing evasions, but i've yet not beat it.
Other people, definitely don't use barehands because then that fight takes like twice as long. (Axe does more damage). Glad you beat it, though!
Are there more bosses after this one?
"Just like the original game." is probably the best answer to that question.
EDIT 2: I noticed you get to start with the axe on the second round!
Yep. And if you beat it again that way you'll get different clear text showing it.

I obviously didn't do the battle system, but this game took some pretty great pains to be close to the original in most other ways.
thefox

Post by thefox »

Extremely solid work! I happened to play the Indivisible prototype on PS4 not a long ago, so it was fun to compare the two.

(One minor difference I noticed was that if you die in the boss, the boss music keeps playing. I think having silence or some mellow music (as in the original) before the boss appears would be better.)
Download STREEMERZ for NES from fauxgame.com! — Some other stuff I've done: fo.aspekt.fi
Banshaku

Post by Banshaku »

I was able to try it a little bit and it looks great! I will try to see how far it goes once I find more time.

Good work!
pubby

Post by pubby »

This is amazing. Congrats! :beer:
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

Kasumi wrote:rainwarrior: You're the first person to publicly post a time (that I know about)!
Well, maybe it's not the most meaningful time either, ha ha. Basically I was just saying it took me 15 minutes to beat that boss, even though it's slightly easier and I had a bunch of practice a few months back.

Trying not to say anything too spoilery but I managed to do the "other" thing on my first try this time (not sure if it changed), though it took a lot of savestates to get there.
Kasumi

Post by Kasumi »

thefox: Good Ear! This is for slightly selfish reasons. The boss fight is shorter than the song, that allows it to loop. I have less of an excuse for the music difference AFTER you kill him, though. :lol:
rainwarrior wrote:the "other" thing
:wink:
Unchanged.
Rahsennor

Post by Rahsennor »

Kasumi wrote:There's so much more to write about! In theory. I have post drafts and over 300 gifs recorded over the course of development. Most didn't make it to that thread.
If you choose to write about it, I'm going to read the hell out of it. :)

I can't beat the boss, by the way. Not enough health to the endure the unavoidable fire attacks any further than the two Belus.
Zynk

Post by Zynk »

Wow a new NES game in 2017?!?! Congratulations on making it. :D

BTW, how long does it take to beat the boss??
Whoops! Confirmed boss is beatable :wink: