Introducing the VeriSNES (FPGA-based SNES)

Discussion of hardware and software development for Super NES and Super Famicom.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
  • For making cartridges of your Super NES games, see Reproduction.
adam_smasher
Posts: 271
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:49 am
Location: Seattle

Re: Introducing the VeriSNES (FPGA-based SNES)

Post by adam_smasher » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:17 am

The principle of charity would suggest that Kismet meant precisely "Expecting a sub-99$ FPGA unit [for hardware with the complexity found on an SNES]".

User avatar
jwdonal
Posts: 719
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:05 pm
Location: New Mexico, USA
Contact:

Re: Introducing the VeriSNES (FPGA-based SNES)

Post by jwdonal » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:37 am

Hi everybody! I have a new update video for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ae5iUe8diY

Enjoy!

Great Hierophant
Posts: 745
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2004 9:35 pm

Re: Introducing the VeriSNES (FPGA-based SNES)

Post by Great Hierophant » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:45 pm

Great new video, the core is looking extremely promising. One minor issue deals with the "guards chase you" sound effect in Zelda, your FPGA's output is noticeably more metallic than the real SNES. It is as if there is a low-pass filter that may not be applied.

User avatar
nothingtosay
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 11:46 pm

Re: Introducing the VeriSNES (FPGA-based SNES)

Post by nothingtosay » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:21 pm

I don't think the SNES's low-pass filtering is very strong in the audible range (aside from the Gaussian interpolation done in mixing which functions as one for each sample), but there's aliasing all over the place in the audio of that video. Is that what it actually sounds like, jwdonal? Or is it maybe a byproduct of zero order hold resampling from 32 kHz to 44.1 kHz in the capture device or something? Or is the interpolation in mixing maybe not implemented?

User avatar
HihiDanni
Posts: 186
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:25 pm

Re: Introducing the VeriSNES (FPGA-based SNES)

Post by HihiDanni » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:42 pm

Yeah, if it sounds metallic it could just be a case of bad aliasing.
SNES NTSC 2/1/3 1CHIP | serial number UN318588627

User avatar
jwdonal
Posts: 719
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:05 pm
Location: New Mexico, USA
Contact:

Re: Introducing the VeriSNES (FPGA-based SNES)

Post by jwdonal » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:09 am

Great Hierophant wrote:Great new video, the core is looking extremely promising. One minor issue deals with the "guards chase you" sound effect in Zelda, your FPGA's output is noticeably more metallic than the real SNES. It is as if there is a low-pass filter that may not be applied.
So I briefly looked into this and I really don't hear what you're referring to. There is only a single short instance of that sound in the recording at around 9:19. I listened to the same sound effect from the following sources:

- Snes9x
- BSNES-debugger (accuracy profile)
- Real SNES using sd2snes
- My FPGA SNES

All of them sound _exactly_ identical to me and I visually inspected their waveforms in audacity as well. I see nothing strange at all. It sounds just as "metallic" on real SNES as it does everywhere else - assuming I understand what you mean by "metallic".

In any case, I'm not sure it makes sense to perform audiophile analyses on a recording that's probably been through a dozen different filters and resamplers by the time it makes it from my FPGA SNES, through my capture card, through screen recorder software, volume adjustment, mixing, video format conversion, youtube processing, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc to your speakers...? O.o

Great Hierophant
Posts: 745
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2004 9:35 pm

Re: Introducing the VeriSNES (FPGA-based SNES)

Post by Great Hierophant » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:08 am

jwdonal wrote:
Great Hierophant wrote:Great new video, the core is looking extremely promising. One minor issue deals with the "guards chase you" sound effect in Zelda, your FPGA's output is noticeably more metallic than the real SNES. It is as if there is a low-pass filter that may not be applied.
So I briefly looked into this and I really don't hear what you're referring to. There is only a single short instance of that sound in the recording at around 9:19. I listened to the same sound effect from the following sources:

- Snes9x
- BSNES-debugger (accuracy profile)
- Real SNES using sd2snes
- My FPGA SNES

All of them sound _exactly_ identical to me and I visually inspected their waveforms in audacity as well. I see nothing strange at all. It sounds just as "metallic" on real SNES as it does everywhere else - assuming I understand what you mean by "metallic".

In any case, I'm not sure it makes sense to perform audiophile analyses on a recording that's probably been through a dozen different filters and resamplers by the time it makes it from my FPGA SNES, through my capture card, through screen recorder software, volume adjustment, mixing, video format conversion, youtube processing, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc to your speakers...? O.o
I think that all of those are a factor. I originally tried the sound effect on my TV's built in speaker, and after reading this I tried it again, but this time using a pair of decent speakers that came bundled with an Oppo receiver. The sound was noticeably more metallic, a little more than your Youtube video. This would make sense, the guards are supposed to be wearing metal armor that should clank.

Erockbrox
Posts: 312
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:16 pm

Re: Introducing the VeriSNES (FPGA-based SNES)

Post by Erockbrox » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:51 am

I would be interested in buying this console when it comes out. One suggestion that I have, would be to also include an SD card slot for roms and other expansions similar to how the Analogue NT NES has an SD card slot.

User avatar
jwdonal
Posts: 719
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:05 pm
Location: New Mexico, USA
Contact:

Re: Introducing the VeriSNES (FPGA-based SNES)

Post by jwdonal » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:28 am

Erockbrox wrote:One suggestion that I have, would be to also include an SD card slot...
SD card interface is already working. So you're welcome. ;)

Here are some pics of me playing VeriSNES on my 70” TV. My TV only supports 720p and 1080i – no 1080p. :-/

https://imgur.com/a/QYcja

foldor
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:08 pm

Re: Introducing the VeriSNES (FPGA-based SNES)

Post by foldor » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:50 am

Looks like Analogue is starting up production for their own take on an SNES FPGA clone with the Super NT. I'm curious how it will fare in comparison to the VeriSNES. Do you happen to have any ideas? They don't claim 100% compatibility, but they also don't clarify which games aren't compatible either. I'm wondering it's just the stuff that used obscure hardware peripherals like SatellaView, or Sufami Turbo games.

What's everyone here's thoughts on it?

retrorgb
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:25 pm

Re: Introducing the VeriSNES (FPGA-based SNES)

Post by retrorgb » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:57 am

The Analogue appears to be HDMI-only. If it supports FX games and the SD2SNES (with MSU audio), then it should be a good solution for flat-screen owners.

I'd personally prefer something with 240p support and more video output options.

adam_smasher
Posts: 271
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:49 am
Location: Seattle

Re: Introducing the VeriSNES (FPGA-based SNES)

Post by adam_smasher » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:46 am

Happy they're doing it.

Sad it's not open source.

Disappointed by how bland it looks. Gimme brushed metal plz :(

calima
Posts: 1015
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:16 am

Re: Introducing the VeriSNES (FPGA-based SNES)

Post by calima » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:14 am

With someone else taking first mover on the market, sadly not much chance for you to get a proper payback anymore.

vanfanel
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:45 am

Re: Introducing the VeriSNES (FPGA-based SNES)

Post by vanfanel » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:58 am

adam_smasher wrote:Happy they're doing it.

Sad it's not open source.

Disappointed by how bland it looks. Gimme brushed metal plz :(
If it's 400$ because of brushed metal, give me a 100-200$ plastic case, please.

User avatar
Guspaz
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun May 10, 2015 6:56 pm
Location: Montréal

Re: Introducing the VeriSNES (FPGA-based SNES)

Post by Guspaz » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:04 pm

vanfanel wrote:
adam_smasher wrote:Happy they're doing it.

Sad it's not open source.

Disappointed by how bland it looks. Gimme brushed metal plz :(
If it's 400$ because of brushed metal, give me a 100-200$ plastic case, please.
The Analogue Super Nt is $189.99 USD. The chassis is plastic, with options for SNES, SFC, matte black, and transparent.

I think we should split Super Nt discussion to a separate thread.

Post Reply