Quick Question: NES Stereo Mod / Amplifier

Are you new to 6502, NES, or even programming in general? Post any of your questions here. Remember - the only dumb question is the question that remains unasked.

Moderator: Moderators

yellowsnow4free

Quick Question: NES Stereo Mod / Amplifier

Post by yellowsnow4free »

Hey everyone,

First post here, so I hope I'm posting in the right section.

Anyway, I'm gathering parts for some upcoming console mods that I'll likely tackle this winter break.

NES-wise I want to do a stereo mod, but I was also reading that the stereo channels are a bit quiet, which is how I stumbled upon this:

A user on here made 2 of these, 1 for each audio channel, and I'm thinking about doing the same.

Parts-wise I noticed the schematic shows polar capacitors, but I wasn't able to find small rating capacitors that were polar. Is it just the schematic that's showing them polarized, but really it doesn't matter?

A quick picture I found of the NES motherboard makes me think the capacitors used aren't polarized:

I'll probably have more questions, but that's it for now.

Thanks!
lidnariq

Re: Quick Question: NES Stereo Mod / Amplifier

Post by lidnariq »

Only the 1 and 10µF capacitors are polarized; the --|(-- notation doesn't necessarily imply polarized. (hence the extra +)

There's no particularly good reason to rebuild the entire NES-internal audio chain twice, as opposed to just using an opamp.
tepples

Post by tepples »

I think the notation for a non-polar cap is --||--.
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

A notation that's usually a non-polar cap is --||--

Only the visible + is a sign of something that's unambiguously polarized. A non-polarized cap can replace a polarized cap of similar ESR.
yellowsnow4free

Thanks everyone! Yeah, I was looking at the --| |-- vs --) |-- notation as well; good tip pointing out that "+" to differentiate between polar and nonpolar.

And yeah, I'm sure the audio could be amplified using another method, but I do like the idea of replicating the original hardware, and I happen to have almost all the parts anyway due to other mods...
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

If you're removing the CIC at the same time, you could reuse one of the inverters in the 74HCU04 (since the CIC uses four; the audio amplifier here uses one; and the PPU uses one).
yellowsnow4free

lidnariq wrote:If you're removing the CIC at the same time, you could reuse one of the inverters in the 74HCU04 (since the CIC uses four; the audio amplifier here uses one; and the PPU uses one).
I have disabled the lockout chip (not 100% sure if that's the same as the CIC), so that is a thought; good idea!
tepples

Post by tepples »

Yes, the Checking Integrated Circuit is the lockout chip.