More NSF Requests

Discuss NSF files, FamiTracker, MML tools, or anything else related to NES music.

Moderator: Moderators

Gil-Galad

Re: More NSF Requests

Post by Gil-Galad »

My website is also down and I need a new host which I need to figure out where and then I'm either going to transfer the entire site or design a new one that's a little more lighter because I was using quite a lot of web space.
Gil-Galad

Post by Gil-Galad »

Thanks Karmic, much appreciated my friend.

It seems like we all do a metric ton of work and it's intellectually challenging as well.
MrNorbert1994

Post by MrNorbert1994 »

It is always nice to see you back, master! ;)

Anyways... apparently this is yet ANOTHER different revision of a Cony fighter game.
Attachments
Mortal Kombat Trilogy - MK5 (16 Player).nsf
(8.15 KiB) Downloaded 129 times
tepples

Post by tepples »

Gil-Galad wrote:My website is also down and I need a new host which I need to figure out where and then I'm either going to transfer the entire site or design a new one that's a little more lighter because I was using quite a lot of web space.
How much space, and how much bandwidth do you expect per month? I need this in order to estimate the cost based on U.S. pricing of Amazon S3:
  • $0.09 per GB of data transfer
  • $0.28 per GB per year for storage
  • $0.40 per million hits (HTML, image, or NSF accesses)
Gil-Galad

Post by Gil-Galad »

I've never had to calculate costs before when I've had hosting before and I'm not saying it should be for free. What I'm saying is that I have to figure that out because I don't know precisely but I have a general idea.

Considering that the average NSF is 32KB and under. I have source code and packages as well of varying size. I have translation projects which don't take up that much space. It's the NSFs because people download them a lot and visit my site. I'd have to talk to Sliver-X about my website bandwidth usage, who gave me hosting for many years. I don't blame him for closing the doors and he gave me hosting for many many years. Thanks to him for sure.

I'm also willing to redesign my website and eliminate a lot of content so I can fit within acceptable perimeters for you.
MrNorbert1994

Post by MrNorbert1994 »

The pitch is different in this FDS port what was in the NES cartridge release.
Attachments
Karate Champ (FDS) (SFX).nsf
MrNorbert1994

Post by MrNorbert1994 »

A weird hentai game for FDS.
Attachments
Bishoujo Kachinuki Renju - Gomoku Narabe (SFX).nsf
Gil-Galad

Post by Gil-Galad »

I talked to Sliver-X and he told me that I have about 300MB in files and pushed a couple GB a month in handwidth. And about 30,000 hits for all files. he says that based on that calculation it should be 5-10 a month.

It's going to about 400 MB because I see some stuff I can get rid of. I can trim it down more.
Gil-Galad

Post by Gil-Galad »

RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !^$
RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !^http(s)?://(www\.)?yourdomain.com [NC]
RewriteRule \.(jpg|jpeg|png|gif)$ - [NC,F,L]

I was using a modified version of this .htaccess in order to reduce bandwidth and it helped a lot. I prevent all NSFs from being downloaded outside of the website. As well as any compressed file and any large file.
tepples

Post by tepples »

Just using S3 to host your site would run you less than $3 per year.
  • Storage: 0.4 GB times $0.28 per GB per year is $0.11 cents per year
  • Bandwidth: "a couple GB a month" (let's say 30 GB/year) times $0.09/GB is $2.70 per year
Gil-Galad

Post by Gil-Galad »

Is the price acceptable to you? I know you have a lot more stuff here at NESdev and the main site.
tepples

Post by tepples »

What I'm trying to say is that if you join AWS, set up an S3 bucket, and hook it up to a website, that's what it'll cost you (apart from $15/yr for a domain). I wasn't offering to host, just helping to recommend an existing hosting solution for people who don't need server-side scripting (Java, Python, PHP, etc.) or anything fancy like that.
Gil-Galad

Post by Gil-Galad »

I totally misunderstood because it sounded like you were going to help me based on this statement here.

How much space, and how much bandwidth do you expect per month? I need this in order to estimate the cost based on U.S. pricing of Amazon S3:
tepples

Post by tepples »

I thought I was helping you by linking to the first page of Amazon's walkthrough to get a website up on S3. I wasn't sure what level of management service you needed on top of what the actual hosting costs.
Gil-Galad

Post by Gil-Galad »

To be honest, I can find hosting anywhere. I would rather be here than anywhere else because NESdev is me.

You were helping me by calculating the costs. I don't need much server side stuff except for htaccess and that's it. I don't use PHP or anything crazy like that which is overly complicated for my type of website.