It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:45 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Forum rules

1. NO BLATANT PIRACY. This includes reproducing homebrew less than 10 years old, with the exception of free software.
2. No advertising your reproductions, with the exception of free software.
3. Be nice. See RFC 1855 if you aren't sure what this means.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:28 am 

I see lot of people put effort into canibalizing more or less valuable games in order to make repro.
So when creating my flash-cart Krzysiocart I projected the PCB in that way that it wil be able to mimic almost any mapper - not only popular ones like MMC1/MMC3, VRC, FME7, UNROM/ANROM/CNROM, Mapper 90, but even rare ones that are use for one-titles, multicarts, etc.

Currently not supported ones are MMC2 and MMC5 (but if you don't want to use extended MMC5 features like EX-RAM or Fill mode nametable, it will work).

Firstly, I was developing in on my own home-made etched PCBs, but later I switched into proffesional ones. There is also shell included.

Price will depend on quantity, but it's roughly 30-35$/piece + 5$ shipping worldwide.

If you want it, contact me on PM.

The PCB has 8 MB PRG-ROM(MB, not Mb) flash, 512 kB CHR-RAM, 32 kB PRG-ROM, battery-backup, so it's almost everything you want.

Image Image

Last edited by krzysiobal on Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:44 am 

What about CHR-ROM? Is the 8MB chip used for both CHR and PRG? Also, how does one write data to the PCB?
Glad to finally see someone in Europe getting into this. :)

edit: Didn't see the SD card reader on the picture. Thought it had a flash chip included.

Last edited by Sumez on Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:47 am 

A program intended to use CHR ROM would start by copying CHR data from PRG ROM to CHR RAM.

64 Mbit PRG ROM is like early Neo Geo, N64, and GBA era.

What does "contact me on PW" mean? Is it a typo for PM (private message)?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:52 am 

tepples wrote:
A program intended to use CHR ROM would start by copying CHR data from PRG ROM to CHR RAM.

Yeah, that's easy enough. It gets more complex when you start getting into back switching CHR data ;)
I just thought it's a weird omission when the PCB supposedly covers "almost everything you want".

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:11 am 

This board has 4 Mbit CHR RAM. This is bigger than the biggest CHR ROM in a licensed NES game or licensed non-MMC5 Famicom game (Kirby's Adventure), and it's as big as the biggest CHR ROM in a licensed Famicom game (Metal Slader Glory) or unlicensed NES game (Action 52). What cart other than a pirate multi has CHR ROM bigger than 4 Mbit?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:34 pm 

If your game uses CHR-ROM, you program PRG-FLASH with PRG-ROM + CHR-ROM and then during startup copy CHR-ROM data from flash into RAM. But all of this is done automatically. You just put your ROM into micro sd card and then select it from menu (if you remove SD card, last chosen game will be started automatically).

You just need to know me to which mapper should I reprogram the FPGA.

Sorry, my mistake, should be PM = Private Message.

Quote:
What cart other than a pirate multi has CHR ROM bigger than 4 Mbit?

JY 120-in-1, but I already patched it to use 512 kB.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:20 pm 

So this is like an EverDrive or a PowerPak, but hardwired to a single mapper configuration?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:30 pm 

Does it run some code before executing the user ROM if booted without an SD card? (This matters for some test ROMs which assume that no extra instructions were executed before starting the ROM.)

Are you going to make the CPLD configuration files available so users can reprogram the CPLD to any mapper?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:47 pm 
Formerly WheelInventor

tokumaru wrote:
So this is like an EverDrive or a PowerPak, but hardwired to a single mapper configuration?

My first impression: So it's like a EverDrive or a PowerPak, but ~80 to 100 usd cheaper? :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:52 am 

Quote:
Does it run some code before executing the user ROM if booted without an SD card? (This matters for some test ROMs which assume that no extra instructions were executed before starting the ROM.)

Mr 6502 is not fortune-teller and it needs to send some commands to SD card to check if it responds or not.
But just after run, cartridge starts in NROM mode so you can program it (using Kazzo) to execute your own NROM code.

Quote:
Are you going to make the CPLD configuration files available so users can reprogram the CPLD to any mapper?

I can make public pin assignments, schematics so everyone interested can program its own mapper, but I'd rather not publish my binaries for CPLD.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:12 am 

krzysiobal wrote:
Quote:

Mr 6502 is not fortune-teller and it needs to send some commands to SD card to check if it responds or not.

Watch your attitude. It would have been possible to connect, e.g., a mechanical switch from the SD card socket to the CPLD to allow it to detect a missing SD card without any code.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:52 am 

I still don't understand what exactly this product is and who the target audience for it is. Is it like a PowerPak/EverDrive but with a hardwired mapper? Can the mapper configuration be easily changed?