Rom running too fast on multiple Emulators

Discuss emulation of the Nintendo Entertainment System and Famicom.

Moderator: Moderators

AidsHase

Rom running too fast on multiple Emulators

Post by AidsHase »

Thread-title already explains the main issue. I was trying to play some NES tetris and since the Pal-version of it is horrendous, I went for the NTSC version. Everything runs smoothly and perfectly fine BUT it runs faster than it should. I would estimate around 1/4 faster if I compare it to someone streaming the game.

I tried out Nestopia, Fceux and Mesen. I also tried out downloading different Tetris roms (albeit I am not sure if they are really different or if it's the same rom offered on different websites).

So I would assume it maybe has to do with me playing NTSC? Or does Pal is fairly irrelevant on computers? Have no clue about that. I could also still try out another NES NTSC rom to see if the same problem occurs. Recording is also an option, if it's necessary.
SuperWill24

Re: Rom running too fast on multiple Emulators

Post by SuperWill24 »

AidsHase wrote:Thread-title already explains the main issue. I was trying to play some NES tetris and since the Pal-version of it is horrendous, I went for the NTSC version. Everything runs smoothly and perfectly fine BUT it runs faster than it should. I would estimate around 1/4 faster if I compare it to someone streaming the game.

I tried out Nestopia, Fceux and Mesen. I also tried out downloading different Tetris roms (albeit I am not sure if they are really different or if it's the same rom offered on different websites).

So I would assume it maybe has to do with me playing NTSC? Or does Pal is fairly irrelevant on computers? Have no clue about that. I could also still try out another NES NTSC rom to see if the same problem occurs. Recording is also an option, if it's necessary.
The PAL version is not horrendous, the audio is just slightly lower-pitched than the US one.
I have a ROM of the NTSC-US version and it runs just fine on Nestopia and FCEUX. Maybe you have a bad ROM?
tepples

Post by tepples »

AidsHase wrote:Thread-title already explains the main issue. I was trying to play some NES tetris and since the Pal-version of it is horrendous, I went for the NTSC version. Everything runs smoothly and perfectly fine BUT it runs faster than it should.
I'm assuming it isn't running this fast.*

Now onto serious troubleshooting:
AidsHase wrote:I would estimate around 1/4 faster if I compare it to someone streaming the game.
My first troubleshooting step is to make sure you're using the emulator in PAL mode with a PAL ROM or in NTSC mode with an NTSC ROM.
AidsHase wrote:I also tried out downloading different Tetris roms
Mr. Rogers is coming for you :p

* Yes, this is a TGM3 Shirase superplay, and yes, it's real time.
AidsHase

Post by AidsHase »

SuperWill24 wrote:
AidsHase wrote:Thread-title already explains the main issue. I was trying to play some NES tetris and since the Pal-version of it is horrendous, I went for the NTSC version. Everything runs smoothly and perfectly fine BUT it runs faster than it should. I would estimate around 1/4 faster if I compare it to someone streaming the game.

The PAL version is not horrendous, the audio is just slightly lower-pitched than the US one.
I have a ROM of the NTSC-US version and it runs just fine on Nestopia and FCEUX. Maybe you have a bad ROM?

I really do not like the level-scaling in the Pal. Horrendous might be an exaggeration, but oh well. Mind sending me via private message your version?
AidsHase

Post by AidsHase »

tepples wrote:
AidsHase wrote:Thread-title already explains the main issue. I was trying to play some NES tetris and since the Pal-version of it is horrendous, I went for the NTSC version. Everything runs smoothly and perfectly fine BUT it runs faster than it should.
I'm assuming it isn't running this fast.*
Well, when I reach level 19 it's almost like that :D

tepples wrote:Now onto serious troubleshooting:
AidsHase wrote:I would estimate around 1/4 faster if I compare it to someone streaming the game.
My first troubleshooting step is to make sure you're using the emulator in PAL mode with a PAL ROM or in NTSC mode with an NTSC ROM.
If I use standard or NTSC under the video filter-option in Nestopia makes no difference.

tepples wrote:
AidsHase wrote:I also tried out downloading different Tetris roms
Mr. Rogers is coming for you :p
My body is ready for him.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

AidsHase wrote:If I use standard or NTSC under the video filter-option in Nestopia makes no difference.
Those are just image filtering option, they do not affect emulation speed.
AidsHase

Post by AidsHase »

tokumaru wrote:
AidsHase wrote:If I use standard or NTSC under the video filter-option in Nestopia makes no difference.
Those are just image filtering option, they do not affect emulation speed.

I am not knowledgable enough so I am just trying things out.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

I was just pointing out why that didn't have any effect.
zxbdragon

Post by zxbdragon »

PAL ROM run in NTSC Mode,speed fast.
PAL的ROM,执行在NTSC模式下,速度会变快。
Gilbert

Post by Gilbert »

This is correct, but according to the OP, he was using a NTSC ROM, so normally it should play just fine on a NTSC system (whether emulated or not) and even slower on a PAL system. It might be just a PAL ROM incorrectly identified or labeled as NTSC though.

這是對的,但樓主說他已是用 NTSC 的 ROM,所以正常來說在 NTSC 的主機 (實機或模擬也是) 上玩應沒有問題,而在 PAL 的主機上則只會更慢,不過可能樓主用的 ROM 其實是誤標為 NTSC 的 PAL ROM 而已。
AidsHase

Post by AidsHase »

Gilbert wrote:This is correct, but according to the OP, he was using a NTSC ROM, so normally it should play just fine on a NTSC system (whether emulated or not) and even slower on a PAL system. It might be just a PAL ROM incorrectly identified or labeled as NTSC though.
I eventually found the region-setting in Nestopia and put it on NTSC and it surely didn't work.

Also I now tried a different rom (Super Mario Bros 3) and that seemed to work correctly as well. So maybe it is really about my Tetris-rom, but I have tried out roms from like 10 different websites now and they all have the same struggle.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

AidsHase wrote:I eventually found the region-setting in Nestopia and put it on NTSC and it surely didn't work.
But if you set it to PAL, does it play that ROM at the "normal" speed?

NES emulators are a little bad at detecting whether a ROM should be for NTSC or PAL, and often play them as NTSC by default. If it's a PAL ROM then it should appear sped up in this case.

FCEUX, for example, just looks for (E) in the filename, and if it's there it uses PAL mode, otherwise just NTSC. Sometimes PAL ROMs found on the internet are not labelled this way.

If you can figure out how to take the CRC of your file (RHDN has a page explaining this), we could probably identify your ROM as NTSC or PAL based on that.

Otherwise just look for "Tetris (U).nes" or "Tetris (U) [!].nes" specifically, maybe?
zxbdragon

Post by zxbdragon »

AidsHase wrote:
Gilbert wrote:This is correct, but according to the OP, he was using a NTSC ROM, so normally it should play just fine on a NTSC system (whether emulated or not) and even slower on a PAL system. It might be just a PAL ROM incorrectly identified or labeled as NTSC though.
I eventually found the region-setting in Nestopia and put it on NTSC and it surely didn't work.

Also I now tried a different rom (Super Mario Bros 3) and that seemed to work correctly as well. So maybe it is really about my Tetris-rom, but I have tried out roms from like 10 different websites now and they all have the same struggle.
multiple Emulators default ntsc mode. multiple roms default ntsc version.
多数模拟器默认是NTSC模式。多数ROM默认是NTSC模式。

if rom is PAL version,rom name have (E) or (Europe) ,FCEUX,VNES auto set PAL MODE . Nestopia using database auto set Mode.
如果ROM是PAL版本,ROM名有 (E) 或(Europe) ,FCEUX,VNES 自动设置为PAL模式,NESTOPIA使用数据库自动设置模式。
AidsHase

Post by AidsHase »

rainwarrior wrote:
AidsHase wrote:I eventually found the region-setting in Nestopia and put it on NTSC and it surely didn't work.
But if you set it to PAL, does it play that ROM at the "normal" speed?

NES emulators are a little bad at detecting whether a ROM should be for NTSC or PAL, and often play them as NTSC by default. If it's a PAL ROM then it should appear sped up in this case.

FCEUX, for example, just looks for (E) in the filename, and if it's there it uses PAL mode, otherwise just NTSC. Sometimes PAL ROMs found on the internet are not labelled this way.

If you can figure out how to take the CRC of your file (RHDN has a page explaining this), we could probably identify your ROM as NTSC or PAL based on that.

Otherwise just look for "Tetris (U).nes" or "Tetris (U) [!].nes" specifically, maybe?

Tried Pal and NTSC in Nestopia region-settings and it made no difference for the pace of the game. Will try out with other emulators later. Rom has (U) in name.

Edit: When I use Fceux and pick Pal, it kinda slows down. But not constantly, but more like having a frame-skip every second. It essentially runs the same pace, but lags for a brief moment which makes it feel slowed down.
Last edited by AidsHase on Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
zxbdragon

Post by zxbdragon »

upload rom,to test.
上传ROM,测试一下吧