Kazzo USB rom dumper / dev cart programmer

Discuss hardware-related topics, such as development cartridges, CopyNES, PowerPak, EPROMs, or whatever.

Moderator: Moderators

Zoldark

Re: Kazzo USB rom dumper / dev cart programmer

Post by Zoldark »

NewRisingSun wrote:The txc_79 script that I have found on-line writes the CHR bank number to address $4200, which is not what the board expects according to the nesdev wiki. The game writes to $4120 as well, not to $4200. Assuming your mapper 79 dumping script looks like the one I linked to, replace

Code: Select all

cpu_write(d, 0x4200, i);
with

cpu_write(d, 0x4120, i);
and try again.
Yep, that was it.. it dumped with the correct PRG Checksum and CHR Checksum.. Thank you...
Don't buy FamicomNes games WillyNilly Check the Mapper first
https://www.nesdev.org/wiki/Mapper
https://nescartdb.com/
I feel like I said something wrong even if I didn't I don't know for sure and I always feel bad about it.
duiz

Post by duiz »

I bought a few homebrew carts recently (Creepy Brawlers, City Trouble, Almost A Hero) but my kazzo is giving me an error when trying to dump them.

0x00e000/0x040000
libusb0-dll:err [control_msg] sending control message failed, win error: The I/O operation has been aborted because of either a thread exit or an application request.

Never dumped carts before so I am a bit lost...

Also, is there any .ag file that supports dumping the 8 bit music power carts? I believe they use a modified MMC3 mapper?
MLX

Post by MLX »

Did you flash the kazzo with the original bios (or whatever it's called) before using anago?
duiz

Post by duiz »

Yeah I put it in BL mode and flashed with the original kazzo.bat file
duiz

Post by duiz »

From what I can gather the Columbus Circle releases (8 Bit Music Power etc) doesn't work with Kazzo? But I am also having trouble with Creepin it Real and Creepy Brawlers, which the cart board says uses MMC3.
aleks.olcz

Post by aleks.olcz »

Does anyone has the scheme for Kazzo for professional printing pcb (V1) ? With DIP-style elements (not SMD).
werewolfslayr925

Post by werewolfslayr925 »

duiz wrote:From what I can gather the Columbus Circle releases (8 Bit Music Power etc) doesn't work with Kazzo? But I am also having trouble with Creepin it Real and Creepy Brawlers, which the cart board says uses MMC3.
What does your script look like? I've stumbled upon various MMC3 scripts and have had to double the dump at times (when dumping Kirby's Adventure, for example). Maybe we can compare scripts.

Speaking of mysteries, has anyone had any success dumping Quarth and/or the FamiCom Fantasy Zone? bootgod's database says Quarth is a CNROM, but that the hardware is a 74xx161. Would a general CNROM script work, or would I need to use something more particular to the game's specific chip? As for Fantasy Zone, does anyone even have a script for SUNSOFT-1 PCBs?
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

werewolfslayr925 wrote:Would a general CNROM script work
Yes; CNROM is specifically implemented using a 74'161.
As for Fantasy Zone, does anyone even have a script for SUNSOFT-1 PCBs?
Fantasy Zone will need its own dedicated dumping script, all by itself. (The hardware is unique functionality, different from the normal mapper 93 hardware). Try this modification of INL's UOROM script:

board <- {
   mappernum = 93,
   cpu_romsize = 2 * mega, cpu_banksize = 0x4000,
   ppu_romsize = 0, ppu_banksize = 0x2000,
   ppu_ramfind = false, vram_mirrorfind = true
};

function cpu_dump(d, pagesize, banksize)
{
   for(local i = 0; i < pagesize - 1; i += 1){
      cpu_write(d, 0x6000, i);
      cpu_read(d, 0x8000, banksize);
   }
   cpu_read(d, 0xc000, banksize);
}
(can't test, I might have made a mistake)
zxbdragon

Post by zxbdragon »

board <- {
mappernum = 93,
cpu_romsize = 2 * mega, cpu_banksize = 0x4000,
ppu_romsize = 0, ppu_banksize = 0x2000,
ppu_ramfind = false, vram_mirrorfind = true
};

function cpu_dump(d, pagesize, banksize)
{
for(local i = 0; i < pagesize - 1; i += 1){
cpu_write(d, 0xCC75+i, i*0x10+1);
cpu_read(d, 0x8000, banksize);
}
cpu_read(d, 0xc000, banksize);
}
MLX

Post by MLX »

I have a concern regarding the Kazzo that has been backed up in the recent days. It is about chips overheating out of control in seconds. I have observed this highly undesirable behavior on various cartridges (pirates mostly, even good ones using quality components). When plugged, whatever it'd be in a dumping sequence or on standby, one or two chips goes out of control. It's usually the mapper, a chip associated to it or a PAL.

I had two cartridge pass out on the Kazzo in the past days. One from the overheating (I am confident it being the reason) and the other supposedly from likely an inappropriate script.

I know this has been seen by others and reported here and I was curious if something can be done about that? (Or is my INL-Retro defective?)
Because I can't keep up dumping rare (and eventually expensive) unlicensed cartridges with a product that has such an apparent flaw.

EDIT: follow-up
Last edited by MLX on Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
infiniteneslives

Post by infiniteneslives »

MLX wrote:I have a concern regarding the Kazzo that has been backed up in the recent days. It is about chips overheating out of control in seconds. I have observed this highly undesirable behavior on various cartridges (pirates mostly, even good ones using quality components). When plugged, whatever it'd be in a dumping sequence or on standby, one or two chips goes out of control. It's usually the mapper, a chip associated to it or a PAL.

I had two cartridge pass out on the Kazzo in the past days. One from the overheating (I am confident it being the reason) and the other supposedly from likely an inappropriate script.

I know this has been seen by others and reported here and I was curious if something can be done about that? (Or is my INL-Retro defective?)
Because I can't keep up dumping rare (and eventually expensive) unlicensed cartridges with a product that has such an apparent flaw.
I’ve never heard of any issues like this. Can’t imagine a bad script damaging the cart either. What do you mean “pass out”? The boards/carts aren’t getting inserted backwards accidentally are they? Units purchased from me after fall 2016 have resettable fuses to prevent this issue especially with snes. Do you have more details on the boards that had this problem (photos etc).
If you're gonna play the Game Boy, you gotta learn to play it right. -Kenny Rogers
MLX

Post by MLX »

Well maybe my Kazzo is defective. Krzysiobal made a similar comment some time ago. Bought my kazzo in early 2017, pcb is dark orange so it's the model you're describing.

The boards are the standard 3-4 globs PCB you'd expect from 90s pirates. I can take pics but I doubt you'll be satisfied by them as there are no signs of damage or anything they just stopped working after.
infiniteneslives

Yeah only thing I can think of is something about those pirate carts being easy to get into latch up due to hot plugging the cart. I'm not sure what the original kazzo firmware does with it's i/o when it's idle. My firmware disables output drivers and enables pullups which should help prevent from powering chips from the i/o lines while inserting. If the original kazzo firmware doesn't do this, that could be causing latch up I suppose. With this, I would say when using the original kazzo firmware one shouldn't insert the cart while the programmer is powered on. Disconnect USB cord, insert cart, connect USB cord, dump cart or whatever, remove USB cord, then remove cart.

I don't see how a defect could be causing something like this. And yes you've got the version with the resettable fuse, you can see the little green fuse next to the USB connector.
If you're gonna play the Game Boy, you gotta learn to play it right. -Kenny Rogers
MLX

Post by MLX »

Will anago work with your firmware? Because I remember having to flash it with the original because it wouldn't with the preinstalled one.
infiniteneslives

MLX wrote:Will anago work with your firmware? Because I remember having to flash it with the original because it wouldn't with the preinstalled one.
No all firmwares I've ever written, or will ever write will be completely incompatible with anago/unagi. When I first started tinkering with the kazzo I tried to adapt anago/unagi and the original firmware to meet my specific needs but the lack of documentation and high level of abstraction made it easier to start from scratch.

I've been working on a new firmware and software release over the past year that's intent is to make anago/unagi and original firmwares obsolete. All operations can be controlled by lua scripts on the host side allowing as low level of control as desired. I'm hoping to release in the next 2 weeks. But it may take me another month or more to get the mapper scripts built up to the breath of mapper support that anago/unagi currently supports.

Additionally I'm releasing a new hardware design which is completely incompatable with anago/unagi and original firmware as it's updating to an ARM core (STM32F070) and hardware USB 2.0 along with support for additional consoles. But all software and firmware releases I plan to make will be compatible with new (STM32) and old (AVR) hardware. So I'm not ceasing support for old hardware, but I have no plans to provide original hardware with an AVR mcu which will run the original firmware and anago/unagi. I'm hoping the new software and firmware will make those program obsolete but we'll see how that goes.