It is currently Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:20 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: New Member Introduction
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:42 pm 

Hello Everyone!

Let me introduce myself. My name is Kevin and I'm the owner of a small retro gaming store. I've been playing games for as long as I can remember. My Atari 2600 joystick doubled as my teething chewy (I still have that paddle to this day). My absolute favorite gaming consoles are the NES and SNES.

I've messed around with different game engines in the past. UT, Unity, Game Maker, RPG Maker, and others. I have a simple understanding of C++, C#, and Ruby. I wrote simple games on my Commodore 64 when I was a kid. And cheater programs on my TI83 in high school.

Over the last few months I've been slowly going down the rabbit hole that is NES game development. Resources were few and far between, I found a few ok sites in my searches. Stumbled on NESmaker and The New 8-Bit Heroes. But I was too late for their kickstarter. In the mean time, while I'm waiting for that to be released I figured I'd learn as much as I could about how the NES works. And that's when I found this site! I've been lurking for the past few hours. Finally decided I'll like it here.

I'll be reading up on the stickies and doing searches for any questions I'm sure have been answered hundreds of times over. Of course I wouldn't mind being pointed to some great posts for a total newbie like myself.

Anyway, I guess I've gone on long enough. I look forward to absorbing as much knowledge as I can.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:18 am 

Hi RetroKevin, welcome to this great NES info resource! I remember making a TI82 program for my Algebra 2, I think, teacher in High School. We were able to use the program on some of our tests. :)

Three users who have extremely helped me here are Kasumi, tokumaru, and tepples. Loopy created asm6, the assembler that tokumaru, and others, recommended me use. Shiru created FamiTone and FamiTone2, the free audio engines that have worked really well for me. (edit: Many others have helped me greatly too!!)

That's just 5 of the users; there are many many geniuses here. :mrgreen: :D

Make sure to absorb from the nesdev wiki too. :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:38 am 

Welcome to NESDEV!

RPG Maker, Game Maker, C++ and Ruby eh? You seem to have similar programming experience as I had when I started learning 6502 assembly and more, so I say go for it. I learned from the Nerdy Nights series of tutorials, this forum and Nesdev wiki. You will be able to learn pretty much everything about the NES hardware you need to know as a programmer here if you put in effort. Good luck!