and i thought win10 had manners (short rant)

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

tepples

Re: and i thought win10 had manners (short rant)

Post by tepples »

Fisher wrote:For example, most HP printers I plug on a Linux PC are automatically installed.
The ones that need to get one or other file to work fine do this very quickly.
It's like a printer nirvana!!
I too am grateful for HPLIP. But for many, the possibility to reuse a printer after having switched to GNU/Linux doesn't justify the extra expense of HP ink over other printer brands' ink.
Fisher wrote:Also, is it just me or Cortana sounds like a female pimp's name? :lol:
Tell that to the designers of Halo: Combat Evolved. I imagine Microsoft reused the Cortana brand because it already owned the trademark, which also happens to be why the Quake series is so misleadingly named.
FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

Post by FrankenGraphics »

I do get why security updates need to be done. But they're doing the UX related to these updates all wrong in a way that's inconvenient and insulting.

It could be as simple as this:
-Run all updates/"upgrades" via WU.
-If they won't support an old win10 build anymore, clearly show a deadline with a date a week before it happens. Don't just sneak-force it outside of WU.

Clearly, there is a date. They just won't show it to the users. The scenario where you open up your laptop only to see the blue update screen without it being announced properly with a clear deadline date should never happen.

I'm not even opposed to the idea that you should have a windows pro license to be able to forever-block updates (it probably does a lot of casual users good to not have this option while the pro license will let you seal a station (say, a music studio DAW or a terminal used for process control in a factory or something).

Meanwhile, all visible traces of this update have been mildly annoying and time consuming. Ranging from combing through settings to getting everything in order to removing bundles, figuring out what to do with the telemetry & if i'm affected, to the little annoying interface changes. For example, the task manager is now obfuscated (see attachment) behind the requirement of an additional click. (Important note to microsoft UX staff: Stop overthinking. Don't fix what isn't broke).

Can't say I've ever been much in love with Windows, but 8 and X really make me want as little to do with Windows ever again.
I have quite the opposite experience actually. With the introduction of Vista, my workflow was swamped and it felt a bit feverish using windows on a bad day and there were always troubleshooting elements. Windows 7 was better, but both 8 and 10 marked significant improvements to my workflow, and that's really important to me.
Attachments
Screenshot (94).png
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

Microsoft claims that forcing the update like that was an accident. Whether you want to believe that is up to you.

Myself I didn't see any advantage of switching to Windows 10 when the "opportunity" was given, and I've yet to see any reason why I'd want to run it instead of 7.
tepples

Post by tepples »

rainwarrior wrote:[Windows 10] instead of 7.
Microsoft has announced plans to end security updates for Windows 7 on January 14, 2020. So you're likely to see a bunch of zero days dumped in the first quarter of 2020.
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

... were a bunch of vulnerabilities in WinXP reported shortly after April 2014?
Fisher

Post by Fisher »

Looks like Microsoft indeed relased some updates for Win XP last year.
Does older (than XP) Windows users still exists??
I remember have seen some patches to Win98's kernel done by some programmers, but I have no idea how well they work.
Also, I've being using an Win98 on a VM to communicate with my N64's Gameshark, since it's the only thing I didn't figured out how to do in Linux yet.
M_Tee

Post by M_Tee »

Back in early 2016 or so, Chrome on Android forced an update of around 40+ mb over data connection, bypassing both "only update applications manually" and "only update over wi-fi" settings. I hadn't been using Chrome as my default browser, but I absolutely disabled it afterward.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

tepples wrote:Microsoft has announced plans to end security updates for Windows 7 on January 14, 2020. So you're likely to see a bunch of zero days dumped in the first quarter of 2020.
Okay LOL well I'm not "upgrading" to 10 now to avoid whatever you think's going to happen then. Call me in 2020 and see how I'm doing. If my laptop kicks the bucket before then I'll probably have 10 from a new one anyway.
zzo38

Post by zzo38 »

I just use Linux, it work much better than Windows. (I used to have Windows but got rid of that computer due to a hardware problem, so I acquired a new computer with Linux instead.)

There is also FreeDOS if you want that; it boots much faster than Windows or Linux do.
(Free Hero Mesh - FOSS puzzle game engine)
gauauu

Post by gauauu »

Regarding drivers: windows 7 was really solid, but of the 6 or 7 machines I own/maintain, about half being windows 10 and half being Linux, I have as many or more driver issues with windows than with Linux.

3 or 4 years ago this wasn't the case... It seems like driver support on Linux gets better every year while windows actually gets worse.
Fisher

Post by Fisher »

Aren't these MS attitudes somehow violating the EULA?
I don't know much about it, but maybe someone with spare time (and money) can try to take MS to court because of this, or not...
Zutano

Post by Zutano »

A few months ago, I tried the disabling automatic updates using the method from this article:

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-prev ... ng-updates

I was tired of Windows restarting itself during long-running processes. It seems like it worked as far as I can tell...
http://zutanogames.com/ <-- my dev blog
FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

Post by FrankenGraphics »

Good find! Thanks, zutano! Wouldn't want that to happen mid-rendering or batch processing...