Windows 10 (1803) getting slower by the day?

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

Banshaku

Windows 10 (1803) getting slower by the day?

Post by Banshaku »

I'm using windows 10 (my bad) and a few years ago while going back and forth with 7 it was not so bad when running on a old pc (E8400 core 2 duo), except for the telemetry, the auto-rebooting and a few other things that made me cringe which I'm forgetting ^^;; But now in the recent months, I don't know if it's because of the latest patch (spectre, meltdown, swiss cheese whatever) it seems to be getting slower and slower by the day. I forgot why I went to 10, must have been an issue I had with 7 or something.

I could go back to windows 7 (which I still prefer) but that would be quite time consuming because of all the windows update issues from a fresh sp3 and in less than 2 years the update will be over anyway.

What I would like to know if people are seeing slow down these days, either with windows 7/10 or maybe some of my computer parts may be dying on me. I starting to prefer linux than windows (use it at work everyday) but the kids have games and we like to play together on that old rig. The other reason to maybe go back to 7 is the driver for the gamepads for ps3 (scptoolkit) is not working any more and it seems to be caused by the latest update (driver signing issue or something, didn't find the cause yet).

Am I the only one to see those slowdown or it now a common thing?
tokumaru

Re: Windows 10 (1803) getting slower by the day?

Post by tokumaru »

I haven't noticed anything wrong, and I run Windows 10 on a 2012 laptop (Core i5 with 4GB of RAM). I moved away from Windows 7 because I was running into a lot of problems involving VC++ runtimes and .NET Frameworks, which were refusing to install because of missing updates I also couldn't install and were preventing me from running software I needed.

I used to have a LOT of slowdown on my desktop PC (which I built in 2017) after installing Windows 10, but it turned out to be my Hard Drives that were dying (ended up losing 2 of them!) due to a bad PSU. Once I replaced the bad Hard Disks and switched to a much better PSU, everything was fine.
Banshaku

Post by Banshaku »

Except for a glitching game, I don't remember why I updated to 10 (maybe something with regarding vs too).

The video card and dvd drive died but the rest "seems" fine but I think I need to take into consideration that a 10 years old computer will start to break down bits by bits sooner or later. Is there a good way to test the health of hdd? I know that an sdd would help a lot, especially with such an old computer but it's not something I can update yet (budget doesn't allow it).
tepples

Post by tepples »

Calling koitsu to explain what SMART (hard drive diagnostics) can and can't do.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

I never update Windows to a newer version though, I always do a clean install of the specific version I want.
Banshaku

Post by Banshaku »

@tepples

I remember a little bit those thread, Koitsu was talking about data recovery and smart related information. I will check them to refresh my memory. Thanks!

@tokumaru

I guess my message was misleading ^^;; I just meant I changed OS. I never upgrade an OS, always do a clean install when changing OS because of all the leftovers that could causes issues. I would consider windows 10 a "downgrade" but I guess this is my personal opinion only :lol:

With windows 10, every quarter they have a new upgrade that reinstall everything and breaks X app along the way so I'm getting tired of that cycle. Another thing is the superfetch,telemetry service, nvidia telemetry (and I guess other ones that I don't remember) that seems to like to grin my hdd to their hearts content every time I reboot it. If it wasn't for games, old apps and just habit to always have windows installed, I don't see why I need to use it.
Zutano

Post by Zutano »

An SSD can make a world of difference. I updated an old laptop of mine by replacing the HDD with a small SSD, and it felt like a new computer. Other than that, you could see if those games you and your kids play would run under Wine (Windows compatibility layer for Linux).
http://zutanogames.com/ <-- my dev blog
Fisher

Post by Fisher »

There's Crystal Disk Info a small software that gives you a quick overview about your hard drive's health using smart.
I'm not sure how good it is, but in all the cases it gave an orange or red "light" exchanging the HDD solved the problem.
I usually prefer gnome-disks as a GUI to take a look on the SMART status, but this program makes the things more convenient when all I want is to do a quick check.
Dwedit

Post by Dwedit »

If you have an SSD, make sure you turn off Link Power Management. Yes, really. Otherwise you will randomly get 30 second freezes when it tries to access the disk.
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!
Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Post by Drew Sebastino »

Zutano wrote:An SSD can make a world of difference. I updated an old laptop of mine by replacing the HDD with a small SSD, and it felt like a new computer.
Agreed; when the hinge broke on my two year old HP laptop, I just put the SSD in my grandmother's ten year old (originally) Vista HP laptop, and despite probably having a quarter the processing power, it runs just as fast (although I won't dare with Sony Vegas). The only reason to even buy a new computer (laptop, anyway) at this point in time is because they're built so shotty that they'll fall apart.

I haven't noticed any performance loss since it came out, but it's far from the most efficient OS ever, from the Photos App always catching photos in the background, to Cortana always listening for your voice, to Windows Defender scanning your computer for the nteenth time to tell you "no threat was detected" to all the uneccesary graphics filtration, to "Disney Magic Kingdoms" installing in the background... What's insulting is that Microsoft made it to where you can't (easily) get rid of most of this stuff, and in the case of all the advertisements, they get turned back on everytime you update anyway!

Computers are powerful enough now to handle all these services, I guess, but even a Mack truck hauling just 1,000 pounds extra will be slower than one not.
tepples

Post by tepples »

Drew Sebastino wrote:The only reason to even buy a new computer (laptop, anyway) at this point in time is because they're built so shotty that they'll fall apart.
Or because the laptop's third battery pack stopped holding a charge and manufacturers stopped making high-quality replacement battery packs for it. Or is it practical for every laptop owner to learn to replace the individual lithium cells in a battery pack?
Banshaku

Post by Banshaku »

@Zutano

Yes, I would love to have an SDD for this machine. The board is only SATA2 but it should be fast enough. Hopefully I can get one someday.

@Fisher

I will give it a try, thanks! Today it seems normal so my guess is it may not be the HDD but Windows background threads mentioned above (telemetry, superfetch) that seems to start at the most inappropriate moment :lol:

@Dwedit

I'm still using the HDD that I bought with the machine and I'm surprised they are still working. Even the IDE one from 2005 (that I'm not using rarely) is still spinning, somehow ^^;; I will keep what you mentioned once I install an SDD if I see any similar slowdowns.

@Drew Sebastino

My retired 4 years old work computer is light and day for I/O so I hope to upgrade one of my old HDD so I can compile a lot faster.
Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Post by Drew Sebastino »

tepples wrote:
Drew Sebastino wrote:The only reason to even buy a new computer (laptop, anyway) at this point in time is because they're built so shotty that they'll fall apart.
Or because the laptop's third battery pack stopped holding a charge and manufacturers stopped making high-quality replacement battery packs for it. Or is it practical for every laptop owner to learn to replace the individual lithium cells in a battery pack?
Oh, yeah, I didn't think of this; I've had batteries degrade pretty bad overtime, but never to the point I couldn't use it when going between outlets. And yeah, I don't think that's reasonable to expect people to do...
Banshaku wrote: My retired 4 years old work computer is light and day for I/O so I hope to upgrade one of my old HDD so I can compile a lot faster.
What do you mean by I/O in this context?
tepples

Post by tepples »

Drew Sebastino wrote:I've had batteries degrade pretty bad overtime, but never to the point I couldn't use it when going between outlets.
I've had a battery hold 4 hours when I bought it and 1 hour years later. One hour of wake time is not long enough to get me from home to home if I'm a passenger in my roommate's car on a long shopping trip comprising a half dozen stores in one afternoon. Eventually the laptop wouldn't even boot with that battery connected.
Drew Sebastino wrote:
Banshaku wrote:My retired 4 years old work computer is light and day for I/O so I hope to upgrade one of my old HDD so I can compile a lot faster.
What do you mean by I/O in this context?
Input and output. A conventional hard disk drive (HDD) beats a solid state drive (SSD) in capacity per dollar, but SSD wins in input and output operations per second (IOPS), as its seek time for reads is near zero.

Post by 93143 »

My battery lasts about 20 seconds on a full charge. I'm rather annoyed, because I paid extra for a high-capacity battery pack back in 2008, and then just kept the computer plugged in; the first time I needed it, the battery was good for maybe half an hour.