GSS hanging on hw, spc quirk?

Discussion of hardware and software development for Super NES and Super Famicom. See the SNESdev wiki for more information.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
  • For making cartridges of your Super NES games, see Reproduction.
calima

GSS hanging on hw, spc quirk?

Post by calima »

Using Shiru's SNES GSS, a ROM that works in every emulator including latest higan, plays some noise and hangs on hw. This is during the bootup GSS load, no IRQs or NMIs are firing, and by random chance we found that adding a delay after spc_load_data but before spc_command(SCMD_INITIALIZE) made things work.

Are there known spc quirks that need working around, that could cause this? It could also be a bug in the GSS code, but I don't want to bother Shiru without being sure.
IGH

Re: GSS hanging on hw, spc quirk?

Post by IGH »

I have been having a very similar issue with SNESGSS; my WIP ROM works fine on emulators including bsnes-mercury v094 accuracy, but the SPC hangs after sending cmdInitialize on hardware. Interestingly, the SPC loads fine and the music plays after a console reset. Also, at the point where the SPC hangs, i.e. during the wait loop for SNESGSS to signal ready, I am seeing $AA on APUIO0 and $BB on APUIO1 as if the SPC had somehow jumped back to the IPL after getting cmdInitialize (but only on first load from the SUP8, -not- after a reset). Of note, I am doing all my hardware testing with a 1/1/1, and a Super UFO Pro 8. Also, my rom has been tested on a SD2SNES and has no problems booting and setting up the SPC on that cart.

EDIT: Just tried adding that delay where you did (I used 6~7 seconds) and I'm still ending up with the SPC going off the rails and ending up in the IPL (until a reset, then it still works fine as before after a reset)
dougeff

Post by dougeff »

I would guess minor bug in SPC code. If waiting just a little bit between steps fixes it.

The SPC runs an automated program, and perhaps it hadn't jumped to the "waiting for new input" loop yet and was still finishing up on some "loading" loop code. And you were too fast for it.
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES
koitsu

Post by koitsu »

This almost sounds like viewtopic.php?p=229195#p229195 (read quoted material and paragraph after it)

There are documented "cautions" with the SPC700 that are outlined in the official developers manual; all 10 of them are outlined in Chapter 9. At least two pertain to issues that can arise based on timing/delays during I/O or data transfer. Section 9.9 sounds very close to what IGH described above.

Edit: I should add I know absolutely nothing -- LITERALLY NOTHING -- about "GSS".
calima

Post by calima »

Yes, I forgot to mention that reset made things work here too. Thanks IGH for the additional info.

I don't have the SNES manual, but will try to find it now, thanks koitsu.
calima

Post by calima »

Okay, it shouldn't be 9.9, since there are no interrupts or NMIs happening. It could be 9.10, since GSS was doing 16-bit writes to APU01. I've changed them to 8-bit writes, in the order that writes APU1 before APU0 like Memblers mentions in that link. Works in emulators, will report later if this fixes it on hw.
IGH

Post by IGH »

I've been doing 8-bit writes the whole time, as per that warning, and I'm still getting the GSS crash/hang issue.
calima

Post by calima »

It helped slightly, but still happens. How do we summon byuu?
calima

Post by calima »

I have a theory but no way to test it. The superfamicom wiki mentions a hazard if both cpus are reading/writing a channel at the same time. All other accesses seem protected by ordering except the main command channel. So if a command is written exactly when the spc reads it, the result may be garbage, leading to a jump to the two highest unpopulated cmdList entries. It would then execute data bytes, eventually hit a brk, and reset itself.

No emulator probably emulates this hazard, though I only checked one bsnes fork source. As for why a reset fixes things, anomie's timing doc says a reset sets a consistent alignment for everything. No mention of the alignment on a cold boot anywhere, so unless someone has better knowledge, the cold boot alignment between the cpu and spc is likely such that it leads to this issue.

So if this theory is correct, the following patch would fix it.

Code: Select all

--- spc700.asm     2018-12-07 17:30:54.711470389 +0200
+++ new 2018-12-07 20:45:41.735369527 +0200
@@ -210,6 +210,8 @@
 mainLoop:

lda {CPU0}                              //read command code, when it is zero (SCMD_NONE), no new command
+       cmp {CPU0}
+       bne mainLoop
+       tay
        beq commandDone
        sta {CPU0}                              //set busy flag for CPU by echoing a command code
        tay
...which brings me to the testing issues. The code was written for some ancient bass version. The latest bass has changed the syntax completely, making it not at all viable. There's a bass fork with less changed syntax at ARM9's github, but even that version lacks important features the code uses a lot, like local labels; it also has several bugs in its string and hash nall lib. So there's no assembler able to build the code, even with small changes, requiring pretty much a manual rewrite. I don't really feel doing that, especially as then there's issue #2, needing a Borland Windows environment to build the GSS editor with the new code.

Old forum posts say all other assemblers suck. There's a ca65 macro pack newer than those posts, but that would also need a manual rewrite, since there's no spc700 support in da65.

edit: Patch tweak.
edit 2: quote to code tag
Last edited by calima on Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tepples

Post by tepples »

Would it need a rewrite by hand, or would it just need an automated translation? When I worked on Action 53, I remember having to translate a few projects' source code from other syntax to ca65 to get them to build as submultis. I wrote a preprocessor in Python to do the deed.
koitsu

Post by koitsu »

That patch jibes with what Nintendo provides in official documentation; see Appendix D.4, "Sound Boot Loader v1.1". This post of mine explains the typos/mistakes (caused by bad OCR), as well as assembler nomenclature, of that piece of code -- all of which is important when reading it. Note the repeated cmp $2140 / bne {previous instruction} model used heavily throughout the code. This "nuance" of the SPC700 is actually covered in Appendex D.1 "Data Transfer Procedure" (block/flow diagram) and D.2, "Data Transfer Instruction", though it's not written very well.

In other words: I can see exactly how that patch would alleviate the problem, but the bne mainLoop should really be bne {address of previous cmp CPU0 instruction}. I'm making the assumption CPU0 == $2140 in that code.
calima

Post by calima »

How much rewriting would be necessary depends on the features. Even byuu's bass does not support local labels, for starters.
calima

Post by calima »

Found a historical archive of old basses at https://gitlab.com/higan/bass, lucky. The last one there, v06r01, manages to compile the code with minor changes to a byte-exact result. Now only to change the gss editor to a command-line app that exports a gss project with this new spc code.
dougeff

Post by dougeff »

It's not that much code (this patch). Could it be hand assembled? Like, on paper, and then typed in a hex editor?
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES
calima

Post by calima »

It's in the middle of everything. You really don't want to hand-shift everything after it, updating references.