Doubling the speed in "Soccer"

Discuss technical or other issues relating to programming the Nintendo Entertainment System, Famicom, or compatible systems. See the NESdev wiki for more information.

Moderator: Moderators

DRW

Re: Doubling the speed in "Soccer"

Post by DRW »

koitsu wrote:The reason there's no romhacking sub-board on nesdev
Nicole already summarized my stance on this, so the rest of this paragraph was totally unnecessary since you thought I asked for something that I never actually asked for.
koitsu wrote:The reason there is a "gigantic megathread" is because the forum moderators are probably tired of everyone and their dog showing up asking for someone else to do reverse-engineering efforts
One last time: Create a sub forum and let the noobs post their ideas there. It takes no more time to ignore a sub forum than it takes to ignore a mega thread. But for those wo are interested, the sub forum is quite nice while the mega thread is still shit.

Everything else you wrote, including the side discussion of paid work vs. free work had nothing to do with the "mega thread vs. sub forum" topic anymore.

Just one last remark:

This:
koitsu wrote:"Hi, I'm a NES developer who was interested in hiring someone to tweak an existing commercial game to do something different engine-wise. Would anyone be interested?" {several days go by} "Hey, I'm Bob, I like Soccer too and would be interested in knowing what you're wanting changed. I might be able to do it for a fee?" "Great, let's talk!"
is exactly what I'm talking about: How shall "several days go by" and the interested person still finds my request buried under a dozen other posts in a fucking huge thread? Unlikely to happen. On a sub forum: My request is probably still visible on the first page for weeks to come.
My game "City Trouble":
Gameplay video: https://youtu.be/Eee0yurkIW4
Download (ROM, manual, artworks): http://www.denny-r-walter.de/city.html
tepples

Post by tepples »

What frame rate do Super Mario Strikers and Mario Strikers Charged run at?

EDIT (2019-02-03): It has come to my attention that the link between the topic and this question was not clear. My reasoning was as follows: To what extent does Nintendo care about high motion in soccer games? Because we more likely than not lack relevant firsthand information, I will accept its engineering decisions in later titles as evidence.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

DRW wrote:I always find it funny how people spontaneously invent arguments just to win the discussion against someone else:

I bet that five seconds before you read my post, you never ever in your whole life thought that sub forums are pointless and that summarizing a whole topic category into one singular linear thread is the better alternative.
And here you are, arguing exactly for this very thing.
What the hey?
I've always hated the concept of subforums, it's never served any good purpose.

And megathreads are a really common thing on a lot of forums where discussions go too off-topic to warrant their own thread every time something relevant comes up. For example one forum I frequent has one specifically for good offers on video games, and a separate similar one for digital releases. Meanwhile the shmups forum has a megathread just for people to vent about little things that annoy them. If romhacking made one for requests, it makes perfect sense that they had a good reason for it - why would you even assume that they didn't?
DRW

Post by DRW »

Sumez wrote:I've always hated the concept of subforums, it's never served any good purpose.
O.k., let's put every topic into the same forum. No need to distinguish between NES development, graphics and off-stopic stuff.
Sumez wrote:If romhacking made one for requests, it makes perfect sense that they had a good reason for it
As I assumed: Always defending the status quo, no matter what the status quo actually is:
They make one megathread: They had a good reason for it.
If they had made the exact opposite, their reason would have been just as good.

There are no good and bad decisions, only good decisions. Criticism is never valid. The concept of people choosing an inferior concept over a better one doesn't exist. Whatever a certain authority chose is the best solution by definition.
If they do one mega thread, then it's the right thing to do. If they had done a sub forum, then that would have been the right thing to do.

Or do you want to to tell me that if I had complained about sub forums on NESDev, that you would have said: "I totally agree with DRW. He's absolutely right. Sub forums are bad."
No, you would have said:
"If NESDev made a bunch of sub forums, it makes perfect sense that they had a good reason for it - why would you even assume that they didn't?"
Last edited by DRW on Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
My game "City Trouble":
Bregalad

Post by Bregalad »

My $2 :
I could be wrong, but the requests are only allowed in a giga-thread that is shitty, this is completely on purpose. This is because they don't want romhacking requests, and since they'll get them anyway, they probably put it in the worst possible form so that it takes the less possible credit. Same goes for translation request - they just don't want any but since this is impossible they make them in one gigathread few people will care about. Once again I could be wrong.

In all cases, there's no point complaining here. Nobody here has to power to change how RHDN works since no RHDN moderator I'm aware is a regular here.
DRW

Post by DRW »

This is actually an opinion that I can totally agree with. Instead of all that nonsense about "They have a good reason for it" and "It's the best decision ever", the idea that they did it shitty on purpose is something that I can definitely see.

It's also another reason why I wouldn't want to deal with these people anymore.
Bregalad wrote:In all cases, there's no point complaining here. Nobody here has to power to change how RHDN works since no RHDN moderator I'm aware is a regular here.
Yeah, but the thing is: Here on this forum, it's just a general meta discussion.
If I actually went to the Romhacking forum and complained about the situation, not only would the people over there start bitching, but there are also people here on this forum who would accuse me again of going to another forum to pick a fight.
So, yeah, however one does it, it's wrong.
My game "City Trouble":
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

DRW wrote: O.k., let's put every topic into the same forum. No need to distinguish between NES development, graphics and off-stopic stuff.
I already did suggest a better alternative to subforums, so no reason to get sassy with me.
As it is, right now on NesDev, I do believe it would make no difference to put all of them in one single forum. At least for me and I think the majority of people here.

Subforums only really helps anyone going to a forum site only for that subforum, and only makes sense on huge sites with a ton of activity (Reddit being a pretty obvious example)
If you're interested in "all subforums except one" for example, there's no feature on PhpBB to aid you, which is really stupid. Other forum softwares handle it better, but honestly there's no reason to not use a tag system instead, which essentially works exactly the same, except a thread can cover multiple categories at the same time.
DRW wrote:This is actually an opinion that I can totally agree with. Instead of all that nonsense about "They have a good reason for it" and "It's the best decision ever", the idea that they did it shitty on purpose is something that I can definitely see.
...that was like the very first point I made. And multiple other people here have said the same thing.
Sumez wrote:Maybe they are getting so flooded with random people that come in and ask for hacks that the only way to handle it was to throw them into a thread to keep it from taking over the entire list of active topics?
DRW

Post by DRW »

Sumez wrote:I already did suggest a better alternative to subforums, so no reason to get sassy with me.
Yeah, some stupid tagging stuff that nobody will actually consequently do properly unless he's some Twitter kiddie because we're not dumb robots who communicate in keywords, but human beings who developed a thing that's called language and dialog.
Hashtag Soccer, hashtag NES, hashtag ROM hack, hashtag 60fps.
Sumez wrote:...that was like the very first point I made. And multiple other people here have said the same thing.
Sumez wrote:Maybe they are getting so flooded with random people that come in and ask for hacks that the only way to handle it was to throw them into a thread to keep it from taking over the entire list of active topics?
You didn't actually say the same thing Bregalad did.

You were implying an honest organization issue (which could easily be solved with a sub forum, as I said a million times now).

He talked about some conscious dick move where they hide the requests in the shittiest way possible, knowing fully well that this is the least optimal solution for actual interest in hack requests because they want the requests to be ignored and simply do this mega thread so that they can pretend that they give people the posibility to ask for hacks.

So, basically, your opinion was still the status quo-loving "Wow, they did the best solution. I wouldn't want it any other way. That's the way to go if you want to present this kind of topic properly."
While Bregalad basically said: "Don't bother. They did this on purpose with the explicit intention, so that requests are not seen."

So, no, it's not what you said from the beginning.
My game "City Trouble":
Bregalad

Post by Bregalad »

DRW wrote: So, basically, your opinion was still the status quo-loving "Wow, they did the best solution. I wouldn't want it any other way. That's the way to go if you want to present this kind of topic properly."
I think they did the best solution for the RHDN forums, which is making it the worst solution for romhack requests, if you see what I mean. In the end everyone agrees they don't want requests.

Which by the way makes me wondering why you don't try to rom hack this yourself, considering you're actually a skilled person, unlike the majority of people who are going to be asking for rom hacks to be done by other people.
DRW

Post by DRW »

Bregalad wrote:Which by the way makes me wondering why you don't try to rom hack this yourself
Because ROM hacking is a different category of development altogether.
I might be able to write a program from scratch, but that doesn't mean that I'd have the motivation to disassemble a game from its binary code and to meticulously find out which memory address is supposed to be which variable. (Apart from the fac that this would take time away from my current game project.)
My game "City Trouble":
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Just use Mesen :) Makes hacking any game so much easier!
Bregalad

Post by Bregalad »

DRW wrote: that doesn't mean that I'd have the motivation to disassemble a game from its binary code and to meticulously find out which memory address is supposed to be which variable. (Apart from the fac that this would take time away from my current game project.)
So if even you, who are passionate about that game, are not motived to do this, who else in the world (the great majority of peopel doesn't give a s***t about this game) could possibly be motived to do it ?
DRW

Post by DRW »

Bregalad wrote:So if even you, who are passionate about that game, are not motived to do this, who else in the world (the great majority of peopel doesn't give a s***t about this game) could possibly be motived to do it ?
It's not that I'm not motivated to hack this game. It's that I'm not motivated to hack any game. That's just not my field of expertise.

Who could possibly be motivated? I don't know. That's why I would have written a post in a forum, so that many people see the request. If there was someone interested, he might have answered.

If nobody answers, then I won't lose any sleep over it either because it's not that I'm particularly "passionate" about it. It's just that it would be nice to have a simplistic sports game in my game's list. But if I don't find any alternative and if nobody wants to do the hack, then I'll simply do without it.
My game "City Trouble":
calima

Post by calima »

I occasionally see hack jobs at freelancing sites. Couldn't tell how successful they were, didn't follow much. Most were by kids looking to cheat, with budgets to match, rarely with any proper budget.
Jedi QuestMaster

Post by Jedi QuestMaster »

Bregalad wrote:I'm really curious if there was ever any person doing hacks for other people (even paid).
I paid someone $5 to hack Mega Man 2 to refill your weapons upon death (this was for an online speedrun competition that never happened).

I'd still be willing to pay someone to romhack, seeing as I don't have time to romhack anymore. :cry: