Permission to use

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

Xelius

Permission to use

Post by Xelius »

Hello,

I'd like to make use of some screenshots of the information presented on the NesDev Wiki in my latest NES development tutorial video. Who should I be asking for permission? How would NesDev like to be credited? I was thinking something like:

Informational screenshots presented in this video were obtained from the NES reference guide on the NesDev Wiki, and are used with permission. For more information on NES development, please visit the wiki at http://wiki.nesdev.com/

Would this be acceptable?

Please let me know.

Thanks!
koitsu

Re: Permission to use

Post by koitsu »

Is permission really needed, considering they're screenshots of a website without any copyrighted content on it? In general that sounds fine; a link to a text-based resource is always good because video is not always the best way to convey information (nor is text, for that matter!).
pubby

Post by pubby »

Informational screenshots presented in this video were obtained from the NES reference guide on the NesDev Wiki, and are used with permission. For more information on NES development, please visit the wiki at http://wiki.nesdev.com/
Sounds good thanks for crediting people :beer:
Xelius

Post by Xelius »

Want to give credit where credit's due. I didn't figure all this stuff out and the community deserves the credit!

Thanks.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

Wikis generally have some stated license policy. Usually it's in a link at the foot of every page.

NESDev's is found at the bottom right in a link called: "Disclaimers"
We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the information available on this wiki.

The general rules for the content is:
  • Any information posted on this wiki is considered public domain
  • You can use the information from the wiki any way you want
For any issues regarding the content, please contact us in the wiki forum of the NESdev BBS, or post the issues on an article's talk page.
Of course, most people will never look there. Probably even most contributors have not. Even if they had, this is not exactly an ironclad license definition, but writing such a thing would be real skilled work and probably not worth undertaking.

So, all that said, I think a link to the source would be appreciated, not just by wiki contributors, but more importantly also for people who see your thing and want to go to the source to find out more.