HD Pack's Mesen

A place for your artistic side. Discuss techniques and tools for pixel art on the NES, GBC, or similar platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

thefox

Re: HD Pack's Mesen

Post by thefox » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:56 pm

mkwong98 wrote:
thefox wrote:It seems like something that could be done by looking at the connectedness of the hardware sprites at runtime (i.e., which ones appear next to others, and how often).
There are a few obstacles that I can think of:
1. The object is moving near the edge of the screen and some of the tiles may go outside the screen. 2. The same tile appears multiple times in several poses of the same object.
3. Tiles within the same object overlap each other (various characters in Double Dragons II)
4. Tiles within the same object are not fixed relative to each other (white dragon in Castlevania)
5. Two objects appears to be connected (Mario holding a shell in SMB3)
6. Objects using the background layer
Yeah, I know it's not trivial. You'd have to apply some heuristics (that is, don't just pick a layout based on one frame, look at multiple frames and see what is the most coherent) but it still wouldn't be perfect.

(1) Could be special-cased by placing less emphasis on stuff at the very edges of the screen.
(2) Not much can be done here, except to indicate to the user that the tile is shared. Or have some special code in the HD pack support that can "unshare" those tiles when it sees they are connected to some other known tiles.

I'd expect it to need some manual adjustment, but at least it could provide a starting point.
Download STREEMERZ for NES from fauxgame.com! — Some other stuff I've done: fo.aspekt.fi

zevs_7

Post by zevs_7 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:53 pm

mkwong98

Post by mkwong98 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:19 am

Found one for Pac-Man on GitHub:
https://github.com/PepCodes/HDNes-Graphics-Pac

zevs_7

Post by zevs_7 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:24 am

zevs_7