It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:01 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Re: What is this cable?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:04 pm 

Please explain to me how you're numbering pins that makes you think that things are connected to pins 2, 3, 14, or 16.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:20 pm 

If you look closely, the pin numbers are actually molded into the plastic of the connector.

Attachment:
pinout.jpg
pinout.jpg [ 82.73 KiB | Viewed 4758 times ]

lidnariq wrote:
Please explain to me how you're numbering pins that makes you think that things are connected to pins 2, 3, 14, or 16.

I have a feeling that we're not dealing with a rational thought process here.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:49 pm 

I'm not spending any more time on this ignorant time-vampire thread past this point.

If this was intended for a DB25 serial port, the situation becomes this:
Code:
DB25 pin 1 (shield ground) = NES controller pin 7 (VCC/5V) (white)
DB25 pin 7 (signal ground) = NES controller pin 1 (ground) (brown)
DB25 pin 10 (unused)       = NES controller pin 4 (D1/data) (yellow)
DB25 pin 13 (alt CTS)      = NES controller pin 3 (OUT0/latch) (orange)
DB25 pin 19 (alt RTS)      = NES controller pin 2 (CUP/clock) (red)

...which, like parallel, makes absolutely no sense.

It's a Miracle Piano adapter with DB25 pin 1 connected to NES controller pin 7 (VCC/5V). None of us so far can explain the latter. To know what effect this would have, one would need to actually open up a Miracle Piano and find out if pin 1 on the DB25 went anywhere (I doubt it, considering we have at least two separate confirmed sources that official Miracle Piano cables only made use of NES controller pins 1, 2, 3, and 4 -- one of those sources is here on this forum, the other is on the web page I got the Miracle Piano pinout from, which states on the Miracle Piano to PC (not NES) cable, they left pin 1 on the DB25 disconnected).

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:06 pm 

Though a bit questionable in the pin numbering department, phoon says:

"racking my brain trying to remember where i have seen it before"

Seemingly suggesting a memory of some non-piano purpose for this cable, one that he or she can't let go of when we say piano. For all intents and purposes, this IS a miracle piano cable, it just is - you could hook it to a miracle piano and it would surely work. But it is also at least remotely possible that "The Software Toolworks" made some other peripheral with the same DB25 interface that phoon is remembering. Maybe there was a rock band guitar ahead of its time, that needed that white 5V wire. I don't know phoon well enough to 100% discount his/her recollections. It would be pretty cool if something like that were true, but I am not holding my breath.

Last edited by Ben Boldt on Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:08 pm 
Site Admin

The confusion is totally normal, I think probably anyone who has dealt with DSUB cable pinouts has gotten bit by pin numbering at some point. Especially when you have some random pinout online, you're lucky if they tell you if it's the female or male side, let alone if it's viewed from the connector side or the back side. Even after that it's still easy to get the TX/RX CTS/RTS pins backwards, even experienced techs have to double and triple check that, when it's not something they've built 5 times already. The pin numbers inside the connector, hard to read as they are, are truly a mercy.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:14 pm 

Memblers wrote:
The confusion is totally normal, I think probably anyone who has dealt with DSUB cable pinouts has gotten bit by pin numbering at some point. Especially when you have some random pinout online, you're lucky if they tell you if it's the female or male side, let alone if it's viewed from the connector side or the back side. Even after that it's still easy to get the TX/RX CTS/RTS pins backwards, even experienced techs have to double and triple check that, when it's not something they've built 5 times already. The pin numbers inside the connector, hard to read as they are, are truly a mercy.

Been there, done that, totally agree.