It is currently Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:41 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:00 pm 

You can go even cheaper. I am paying 5.88 eur (per year) for http://problemkaputt.de with 1 domain name, 250MB webspace, unlimited traffic, 100 emails, php, https, etc. I am afraid that the provider wants to shut down this year, but you might find something similar when searching hard enough, eg. search for domain + hosting. The cheapest offers are sometimes called "visiting cards" but they might still qualify as fully fledged "webpage" - possibly with some size restriction, or without https, or other restrictions (but you might find find something that matches your requirements, my current weboster is/was pretty much ideal for what I had needed (one possible risk with small companies is that your domain name might get lost if the company is shutting done - I hope that will work out okay for my own domain)).

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:13 pm 
Site Admin

If all you need is some publicly accessible hosting, I can make user a account within my BlueHost account for you (or other people here if they need it). PHP should be there and working, AFAIK. I've been paying something like $3/mo for it, but that has to be prepaid for 2 years at a time. I'd be glad to see it put to more use.

The address would be membler-industries.com/accountname

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:10 pm 
Formerly Espozo

That's a very generous offer! It's fine though; I had been messing around with mediawiki, but it looks really quite heavy, so I don't want someone else to be burdened with hosting it. Really, $5 a month is nothing. Had I known hosting could be that cheap, I probably never would have bothered setting up a home server.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:31 pm 

Drew Sebastino wrote:
Wow; and yeah, if it's "free", there are definitely caveats, but I'm cheap. Hardware isn't an issue for me; the worst hardware any web host will provide will be just as good as the Pentium 4 PC I was using, and it's ample powerful for whatever little traffic I'll generate.

Edit: I already found a caveat; it has to be a "static website", so no php or anything. ...I think I'll just pay $5 a month with Amazon.

No that's something else. I have a tiny vm running php and Java on mine. Look for Google cloud console.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:23 am 
Site Admin

I made a google compute engine account recently too, it seems pretty neat for a free service. They make a big deal about the 1-year trial and $300 credit, but you can select the free tier settings and just forget about the trial period (assuming they continue to offer it for free).

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:45 pm 

While it is a bit drastic, to avoid home ISP constraints you could run Tor or I2P on your home machine. It can connect outbound-only into its respective anon-net, and then you can address your machine by hash, no matter where it ends up moving in the future.

It's technically easier, more portable, and free, but the speed is obviously going to take a hit. It's great for your own personal access, but you can also still host .onion/.i2p websites for the public using standard web servers at least.

It's certainly an option if you want to host from your own hardware, ignoring any DNS/NAT/etc externalities and effectively put it on a hash-addressed public "VPN". Access via Tor browser is pretty easy for technical people, but yeah the general public isn't going to be there much. We're using it more in software to avoid routing issues, regardless of any of the darknet stuff.