Catalina Wine Killer. Is 64-bit FCEUX for Windows possible?

Discuss emulation of the Nintendo Entertainment System and Famicom.

Moderator: Moderators

rainwarrior

Re: Catalina Wine Killer. Is 64-bit FCEUX for Windows possib

Post by rainwarrior » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:54 am

tepples wrote:- No $119.99 per seat.
I've said it a bunch of times but Windows 10 is effectively free to use in an un-activated state, in any sense that has real consequences. Microsoft isn't going to print you a certificate saying they are glad you're doing it, but it really doesn't require a $120 purchase if all you want is something you can test with. You can download it directly from Microsoft here.

Anyhow, after more hours than I had hoped, I seem to have FCEUX building in Windows x64. It runs games. The debugger seems to work. I don't expect everything to work just yet, but it's already at least minimally viable.

It's an ongoing project, but I've left progress notes at tepples' github issue, and I've created an AppVeyor project for my fork to produce builds as I'm working on it:

https://ci.appveyor.com/project/bbbrads ... /artifacts

slembcke

Post by slembcke » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:34 am

I did specifically say pragmatism eventually winning out over cost and principle. ;) I do get it though, especially the principle part. Despite owning several copies of Windows, I rarely use it because I simply don't like to.
and have the X server in the outer OS display the result
Interesting, I didn't know that was possible. I've used Docker containers on a couple occasions, but didn't know containers got that fancy.

tepples

Post by tepples » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:45 am

A VM running an unactivated copy of Windows 10 still uses more CPU, RAM, and disk space than Wine.

Canonical appears to have since backpedaled somewhat, pledging to maintain enough packages to keep Wine, Ubuntu Studio, and games running. (Source: "Statement on 32-bit i386 packages for Ubuntu 19.10 and 20.04 LTS" by Canonical, via "Ubuntu 19.10 drops 32-bit images, pledges to maintain some packages after user outcry" by James Sanders)

Despite this, an x64 build of the debugger remains important for macOS users and for users who want to save HDD space and Internet data quota overage fees by installing only Wine64.

rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior » Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:07 pm

My first pass on getting FCEUX to build as a Win64 app is complete. Everything I've tested so far seems to be working, but if anyone wants to give it a shake here's the appveyor build:
https://ci.appveyor.com/project/bbbrads ... /artifacts