Game monetization

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

FollowPinch

Game monetization

Post by FollowPinch »

Sup devs. Share the ways how you monetize your games. thnx
tepples

Re: Game monetization

Post by tepples »

What I've seen is fairly straightforward: use Kickstarter to crowdfund a physical release, then buy boards and ICs, program the EPROMs, solder them together, and ship them to backers.

Otherwise you could sell a downloadable ROM on itch.io or something.
FollowPinch

Post by FollowPinch »

And does anyone use globalhop sdk, mopub or admob?

[Concerns were identified with the topicality and relative notability of links in this post. --MOD]
tepples

Post by tepples »

Those methods are applicable to games on modern touch-driven smartphone platforms, not video game consoles made before 1994. It's possible to port an NES game to a smartphone using an emulator, but it rarely turns out well unless the NES game is turn-based or can be adapted for control with only 1 or 2 buttons.

Questions that I find interesting to answer for the record inch closer to mission effing accomplished.
nesrocks

Post by nesrocks »

tepples: you don't think this is a bot?
https://twitter.com/bitinkstudios <- Follow me on twitter! Thanks!
https://www.patreon.com/bitinkstudios <- Support me on Patreon!
tepples

Post by tepples »

As I implied with my xkcd link, this alleged bot has learned to ask relevant questions.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

Could you at least delete the spam links if you're not going to just delete this thread?
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

The thread parent clearly didn't read your initial reply and just linked to some mobile ad networks instead. Please don't enable SEO for that crap.
tepples

Post by tepples »

Had the links been to anything but the official site of each respective ad network, I would have deleted them. Or by using the term "that crap", are you trying to imply an objection to the existence of these ad networks in the first place?
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

I'll note that the subject of the 2nd and 3rd links are defined in wikipedia, but the first isn't. This still smells like SEO. ("Thing X is like things Y and Z")

Ad networks necessarily require "always online", which is off-topic for almost all of the forum, and mostly correlates to specifically "android device", which is even more off-topic for the forum. For the reasons you outlined! While it is true that this is the General Stuff section of the forum, but why is something that's off-topic for almost all of the forum, from a user who has never participated in the on-topic portions of the forum, something we want to encourage here?

This isn't like the person who came around a year ago and replied to my post about vibration motors and said something tantamount to "hey, we sell vibration motors too!": that's at least vaguely germane.
tepples

Post by tepples »

Good point about the reverse famous, famous, fictional. Given that the new user has modern mobile apps on the brain, I don't see a reason to continue this topic as it exists. Later, if I get a chance, I may try to repost it in a more on-topic form.

As for why I didn't close it earlier: As moderator, I need to walk a fine line between excluding spam and not biting newcomers.