It is currently Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:44 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:31 pm 

One thing that is frustrating me with the SNES lately is the lack of good hardware multiplication and division. I'm still up in the air over which would be my preferred method.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:25 am 

Quote:
'm not talking about 8-pixel sprites. I'm talking about slivers, which are single-line tile slices.

Ah ok, it was in the sprites caracteristics, this is why i misunderstood,because for me it's obvious that a tiles based system, can fill the entire screen width with tiles,and i did not see the point in specifying it.

Quote:
Same with the SNES. You can't hit the 34-sliver limit with 8x8 sprites because you can only render 32 of them. But with 16x16 or larger, you hit the sliver limit first.

Yes, but in practice it's not really the same to put 32 8x8 sprites and 20,and if we take in account the resolution, it's 32 vs 16 in H32 :wink:
The snes can fill an entire line with his 8x8 sprites before reaching the limit,and the Md cannot,but the Md has a more flexible sprites engine .

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:17 am 

Just FYI, I changed the description. Somehow I managed to proofread it several times without noticing that I had claimed the tile data for SNES sprites was in ROM. To be clear: the two 8 KB tile data tables used to render sprites on the SNES are in VRAM, not ROM.

Unlike the NES PPU, the S-PPU in the SNES can't access the cartridge, so obviously the sprite system doesn't care how the tile data is stored there...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:44 am 

On the other hand, different tile compression methods are applicable to packed pixels (on the Genesis and GBA) vs. bit planes (on the SMS, TG16, and Super NES). With 2bpp tiles on NES and Game Boy, for example, I've had success with RLE based on a byte from previous row of the same bit plane.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:50 pm 

Ah, the Megadrive!!

I was really impressed when I saw El Viento's opening back in the day.
Strider impressed me too, It looked awesome.
Both consoles have their ins and outs, and even today I can't decide wich one (MD/SNES) is my favourite. I like many games on each console.

The best voice clips that I remember were from Strider 2 and Justice League Task Force.
Both are not great games, Strider 2 had great between stages voice clips, Justice League is barelly playable, but the Apocalypse's voice on the opening was very cool!

Didn't Comix Zone had a PC version?
I think I remember to have played it with general midi music, wich on my old AWE32 sounded awesome.
Unfortunatelly, I only played the MD version on emulators, it's a very nice game!!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:03 pm 

tepples wrote:
On the other hand, different tile compression methods are applicable to packed pixels (on the Genesis and GBA) vs. bit planes (on the SMS, TG16, and Super NES). With 2bpp tiles on NES and Game Boy, for example, I've had success with RLE based on a byte from previous row of the same bit plane.

Okay, but that's only relevant to the S-CPU, and/or any special chip assisting with graphics decompression and/or rendering. The S-PPU's sprite handling circuits (which is what I meant by "sprite system") couldn't care less how the tiles got into VRAM, as long as they're there.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:40 am 
Formerly Espozo

Fisher wrote:
Strider impressed me too, It looked awesome.

Easily one of the best looking home ports of the time, imo. You can really tell it was made by Sega and not Capcom, because there's no way they would have done close to as good of a job... I actually prefer the music in this version of the game; it sounds a lot scarier, imo.

Fisher wrote:
Didn't Comix Zone had a PC version?
I think I remember to have played it with general midi music, wich on my old AWE32 sounded awesome.

Correct; it was the first in the line of Sega PC games.You can tell any screenshot of it apart from the console version because they recolored the health bar blue, for whatever reason.

I have no idea what the midis sound like, but I'm not sure if they can touch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1QAKVfRFas&app=desktop Probably my favorite Genesis music, particularly the final boss; so awesome...

93143 wrote:
Okay, but that's only relevant to the S-CPU, and/or any special chip assisting with graphics decompression and/or rendering

Since you were talking about it, I wonder how badly the SNES's graphics format would affect rendering the variable width font generation in the game.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:05 am 

I imagine you could render them into WRAM beforehand, if they didn't fit in the desired size of ROM. There's not that much text; this isn't an RPG script.

The sample work to do justice to the music would probably take a fair bit of space. The graphics might be more compact, since the resolution is slightly lower...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:10 am 

Drew Sebastino wrote:
Since you were talking about it, I wonder how badly the SNES's graphics format would affect rendering the variable width font generation in the game.

Does the VWF implementation in the NES or Game Boy port of 240p Test Suite feel laggy to you?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:18 pm 

Proportional font rendering doesn't lag on the C64(in a text box case), and it has the same tile based "bitmap", having 3.58x the Mhz and 816 - not a problem.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:30 pm 

tepples wrote:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=19098

This might be able to come in handy, although it's still not fast enough to convert an entire 256x224 screen from packed to planar in a single frame.