It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:10 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:42 am 

It was dumped with a CopyNES not a Kazzo, so that's not comparable.

CopyNES is an NES mod that can use the NES CPU directly to dump a cart and do other things.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:48 am 

I remember similar problems when we dumped the 블랙 드래곤, Korean version of Challenge of the Dragon, also Mapper 11. The Kazzo did not manage to overpower the PRG-ROM, so latch writes had to be directed to the exact location that the game used. Doing so is easier said than done when not knowing which 32 KiB PRG bank is active at boot-up; mercifully, that game had a bankswitch value table at the same address in all 32 KiB PRG banks. The CopyNES' CDREAMS plugin, as was mentioned before, scans the PRG area for a suitable address whenever it needs to write to the latch, and will only resort to writing to $8000 when no location having a suitable value is found. This makes it far more reliable than the Kazzo.

It is quite a shame that the CopyNES USB is no longer available. None of the other devices --- not the original Kazzo, not the INL-Kazzo, not the KrzysioKazzo --- can dump every cartridge, but the CopyNES can. In addition to the bus conflict issue, multicarts and even post-2005's Chinese single-game cartridges will constantly reset themselves, or output pure garbage, when the M2 signal is not constant and at the correct frequency.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:33 am 

ShadowMan44 wrote:
Wait, the rom is now dumped!? Oh man, I wasted like 200 dollars on a shitty bootleg cart for nothing!

Worse, you wasted more than that -- all of our time for a self-proclaimed "shitty bootleg cart". Next time I see you around here, or the Internet in general, I'll know how to prioritise your requests.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:01 am 

Retrousb had a batch of copynes for sale earlier this year. So.theyre not discontinued, just not a priority apparently. But with high demand in the secondary market maybe it'll spur more production.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:58 pm 

So where do we go from here? Does the rom get published online or do we have to wait until we can figure out how to get my kazzo to dump it?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:45 pm 

ShadowMan44 wrote:
So where do we go from here? Does the rom get published online or do we have to wait until we can figure out how to get my kazzo to dump it?

There is no "we" in any of this. This site/forum does not distribute ROMs or assist in the process of such distribution; that ordeal has literally zero to do with this forum and nobody here will participate in it (the forum/site does not even allow linking of such for many reasons). Frank dumped his own physical copy, which he's legally permitted to do. The debugging session with lidnariq is an exception because he's trustworthy (see post count, content, etc.) and will certainly not keep the WIP attempt.

Your comments are also in complete contrast to your repeated statements of "I'm not sending this cart out" and "I wasted $200 on a shitty bootleg cart". Why do you care if the game gets released, given you coveted this thing so heavily to begin with? Baffling.

If you want this thing "released to the public" *properly*, and within reason (read: someone experienced doing it and will know if it's feasible or not), there is one person alone to talk to: Frank Cifaldi. Anyone else doing it would likely be in it for fame alone, which I've noticed hoarders tend to focus on. Been seeing a lot of that recently these past few months...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:14 pm 

koitsu wrote:
Your comments are also in complete contrast to your repeated statements of "I'm not sending this cart out" and "I wasted $200 on a shitty bootleg cart". Why do you care if the game gets released, given you coveted this thing so heavily to begin with? Baffling.

I "coveted" this game because I didn't think anyone else would have had the money or patience to purchase a copy of this game off of that shitty website, and I refused to send out the game not because I wanted to be the one to dump it and be famous, but it was because I would be mailing something I purchased for quite a bit of money to someone I have no connections with whatsoever. The cartridge shell itself is poorly constructed and one of the screw hinges broke off upon the second time taking out one of the screws, so that meant I didn't trust any mailing service to have it be shipped across the country or overseas. I don't know why you're getting this impression that I'm a hoarder/selfish individual, as if my concern with getting the rom published wasn't already a clear sign that I wasn't.

My goal was to have the game dumped not for notoriety but for... archival sake you could say, and I myself wanted to do it because the game came out in 2011 and no one had attempted to do this until now.

I'm sorry if I came across as a pretentious/selfish person, now that someone successfully dumped the rom then that means this thread can be closed.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:26 pm 

i'm sure i'm not the first one to dump it, but modern ip doesn't generally get spread around too much. in this case it's a cash grab release that afaik and based on the 2 minutes i spent playing it is absolutely terrible. it's a novelty more than anything.

did you just buy this with the intention of dumping it? yikes. if you have your sights set on any other carts maybe ask around first, hopefully you can save some cash.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:40 pm 

FrankWDoom wrote:
did you just buy this with the intention of dumping it? yikes. if you have your sights set on any other carts maybe ask around first, hopefully you can save some cash.

No need, I don't plan on attempting to dump any more NES roms, if rom dumping is as frustrating as this was all around, not to mention the other NES games that have not been dumped yet are prototypes or obscure unlicensed cartridges, which may or may not cost even more money than what was already spent on Cheetahmen.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6