NES Styled Pixel Art

A place for your artistic side. Discuss techniques and tools for pixel art on the NES, GBC, or similar platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

ShaneLite

Re: NES Styled Pixel Art

Post by ShaneLite »

The waving floor is still being worked on, but it definitely came first as an idea that would look fun first, and then tried to figure out if it could work on a NES (you'll notice the piano keys never reach the window either).

Anyway, I am currently looking for beta testers for the purpose of glitch finding or feedback, as well as spriters to help ease the workload. Send me a PM if you're interested in either one and we can go from there.
ShaneLite

Post by ShaneLite »

Bump!

I forgot about this place for awhile, so I figured I would drop some videos for y'all:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_o19yMTT9s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6G0ueLkV1y0

While the project isn't dead, I have moved on to other projects. From helping the Sonic Time Twisted team through most of 2016, as well as rebooting a 16-bit style project called Wonderworld, I've been learning more about game development and working as a team. We're experimenting with ideas to either finish this and release Golds Curse individually or put it into the current project as a part of an extended story.
FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

Post by FrankenGraphics »

I haven't seen this thread until now, but wow, this looks really great! Gameplay looks solid, too.

I must say I have some trouble with a few notes in the song in the first video. These few notes i found troublesome inject quite a bit of drama, which is fine and exciting on its own, but i think they need to be reeled back into the fold a bit. I feel like i'm missing a release or transition or two; alternately a change of accompanying harmony in preparation for the "wild" ones.
Last edited by FrankenGraphics on Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

At 0:38 in that first video, did the crumbling block make the skype message sound? ;)

Looks real nice!
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

This looks like a genuine contemporary NES game. I love that.
nesrocks

Post by nesrocks »

Loving it too, not only do the graphics and gameplay look nice, I dig the game design. I want to play this :)
https://twitter.com/bitinkstudios <- Follow me on twitter! Thanks!
https://www.patreon.com/bitinkstudios <- Support me on Patreon!
FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

Felt that to: "I want to play this" :beer:

While modern code is no doubt going to make it more accessible/portable to a range of different systems of today, have you thought about partnering up with someone to make a NES port? Since so much care has been taken to make it close to NES specs, that might be a possibility.
ShaneLite

Post by ShaneLite »

Thanks for all the compliments, everyone! Means a lot from a community of experts and lets the team know we're going along the right path. :)

For the music, I'll send the critique to the composer, and see what he can do from there! Thanks for the feedback. As for an actual NES port, I'd love to do that someday, but the most important matter is finishing the game first.

There's four maps (out of six total) made and functionable in-game, but only two have about 75% of their gimmicks, while the other two are empty gimmick-wise, but explore-able.

A minor conflict development wise is the games story ties in to the story of another, 16-bit game we have in the workshop. The issue arises is I can't really decide if
A. This game, Golds Curse, should be released individually first, or
B. The story of both games would be made stronger by having to find collectibles in the 16-bit game to unlock the 8-bit game, and thus play through the six levels to reveal some lore/origins relating to the 16-bit games story. Basically, a game within a game.
M_Tee

Post by M_Tee »

A game within a game essentially means a significantly reduced number of people who will play the unlockable one.
FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

I agree, and I was thinking one doesn't necessarily exclude the other. After a standalone release, you could reuse the code, lift a level (or make a new), and put it into your 16-bit styled game as a throwback to your 8-bit styled release, perhaps.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

Put the 16-bit game inside the 8-bit one... that'd be a first! :lol:
tepples

Post by tepples »

tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

Haha that's true.
ShaneLite

Post by ShaneLite »

Hey, hey! Figures I should blow the dust off this thread!

Weird to think some of the plans for this game are archived in this thread, but here we are today! Have fun!