nesst(NES Screen Tool) + multiple maps

Discuss technical or other issues relating to programming the Nintendo Entertainment System, Famicom, or compatible systems.

Moderator: Moderators

vnsbr

nesst(NES Screen Tool) + multiple maps

Post by vnsbr » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:08 am

Hello i am new to NES programming and i am struggling having multiple maps in my game, maybe my pipeline is wrong but from what i understand it works like this:

import map1(bitmap1) into nsst -> tileset1 + nametable1/attributes1
import map2(bitmap2) into nsst -> tileset2 + nametable2/attributes2

the problem is that i need a "global" tileset, because if i use tileset1 with nametable2 it is not going to work

remembering that map1 can be completely different from map2 regarding palettes and some new tiles

whats is the best approach for this?

tepples

Re: nesst(NES Screen Tool) + multiple maps

Post by tepples » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:45 am

One approach is to use CHR RAM, which lets you load some common tiles into RAM and then copy tiles specific to each map from PRG ROM into CHR RAM as needed.

Another is to use a mapper that allows switching individual parts of the CHR ROM space. MMC3, for example, has a commonly used mode that breaks the first pattern table into two independent 2 KiB windows: one for $0000-$07FF (the first 128 tiles) and one for $0800-$0FFF (the second 128 tiles). Then you can put common tiles in one 2 KiB pair of CHR ROM banks and map-specific tiles in other pairs of banks. Super Mario Bros. 3 uses this approach.

vnsbr

Post by vnsbr » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:01 am

nice, we are using NROM right now, and i am trying to abstract the artist everything that is possible, like he sending me the png maps exported from tiles and it working right away (considering he obeys the nes limitations) and not having to fiddle with CHR files, so thats why i considered this approach with NESST, once we have more maps it would be a problem.. if i stick to NROM maybe there is the need of another tool? :p

nesrocks

Post by nesrocks » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:58 am

I have no idea how people can work with bitmaps (I know some people do). Personally, I work directly with NST or other tools like yy-chr, that way you have the control you need when working with such specific and limited art specifications.

Check this out https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ne ... ts/2677215
https://twitter.com/bitinkstudios <- Follow me on twitter! Thanks!

gauauu

Post by gauauu » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:22 pm

Screen tool is great for building the NES tiles, and prototyping what they would look like on the screen. It's great for putting together things like title screens and splash screens.

I wouldn't recommend it, though, for actually making your game maps for most map-based games. It's just not a great map editor -- it's more of a screen editor, and often your game engine will want to have a more abstract concept of a map separated from a nes nametable screen.

If it was me, I'd talk to your artist (it sounds like he's also making the maps, not just the tiles?) Find out what tool he's using, and find a way to translate that tool's data directly into something that you can turn into a map format that works well for your game style.