Alien Isolation

A place where you can keep others updated about your NES-related projects through screenshots, videos or information in general.

Moderator: Moderators

lidnariq

Re: Alien Isolation

Post by lidnariq » Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:27 pm

The question you're addressing is ultimately the question of publishing a game, not writing one. And it's still several steps removed from "Will using compression free up enough space to cross a price point that makes something worthwhile to a publisher"

You're probably ultimately trying to aim at "maybe you should design levels to be compatible with compression that ensures that your game is publishable" except that my point is that "publishing" a game for a legacy console like this is already a weird idea, with weird constraints that don't have anything to do with publishing either modern indie games today or historical manufacturing during the commercial lifetime. After NROM, the cheapest hardware you can make using new parts now is a 128/128 GNROM-class mapper, and the incremental cost of the next two sizes (256KB and 512KB) of nonvolatile memory is small. Most of the cost largely comes from advanced mapper selection, or if you want to exceed 512KB memories.

I do wish that I could still find good enough links to the people manufacturing COOLBOY or MINDKIDS boards that I could relay trustworthy prices for all-new MMC3-class releases. AliExpress and AliBaba are not making it easy.

lancuster

Post by lancuster » Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:11 pm

sdm wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:59 am
The game has not finished so there are not many things. It's all game concepts, whether they will be completed I do not know, it all depends on time and desire (I do not do it for money, everything hobby).
You need to do:
* titlescreen
* instruction screeen
* a way to block alien for a short time
The Jet Set Willy engine is almost ready, all I have to do is design the levels (not 100% identical). I will definitely want to finish it.
Great news. I will wait for completion.
Check my romhacks and NES arts on Patreon

See my hacks on Romhacking.net
I added level configs for 102 NES games in CaD Editor!

Erockbrox

Post by Erockbrox » Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:10 am

I did a youtube video of my playing experience.

If you really want to make the game a little more player friendly I would suggest the following:

- Add more crates (hiding spots)

- Maybe make the players run speed a little faster

- Maybe add some powerups like (stun gun, food as bait, invincibility)

- Add a bunch of levels going from EASY to HARD

-Maybe the robots just block you instead of killing you (like you can't push them out of the way or something)

Overall not bad, but very difficult.

Here is the video link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf3KHx8 ... e=youtu.be