Creating a Widescreen (16:9) NES-like Music Video

A place for your artistic side. Discuss techniques and tools for pixel art on the NES, GBC, or similar platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

tokumaru

Re: Creating a Widescreen (16:9) NES-like Music Video

Post by tokumaru »

You can probably export an image sequence from VirtualDub, run each image through blargg's filter individually (I think I saw a command-line version of it once, so you could quickly write a batch file to process all the images) and import them back into VirtualDub.
tepples

Post by tepples »

Jedi QuestMaster wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:37 pm
tepples wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:40 pm1. Pad to 280x180 pixels.
Do you mean adding 'black space?' I understand the rest.
Almost. The NTSC NES draws color #0, which often is but often isn't black, outside the active picture area. I meant add a border in that color.

Is AviSynth maintained?
Jedi QuestMaster

Post by Jedi QuestMaster »

tepples wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:03 amI meant add a border in that color.
So you don't mean bleeds like with printing? This is what I initially thought:

Here's an original aspect ratio:

Here's a 256x176 widescreen field (but my own graphics would be in there):

Here's the title safe area:

Here's how it would look with a border:

But likely it would look like this:
...because I'd be working in an animation program (or GameMaker :lol:) and, unless I use a matte, any graphics outside the field of view will still be drawn and visible.

As for the color of the background, I do intend to cycle from turquoise, to green, brown, orange, red, around the gamut, and back to blue.
tepples wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:03 amIs AviSynth maintained?
I don't even really know what AviSynth is, even after looking it up. What's a frameserver? :oops:
tepples

Post by tepples »

From a console PPU designer's perspective, anything outside the safe area is bleed. But to save video memory bandwidth, classic console PPUs don't even generate a signal near the edges of the screen, as they use this time to prepare sprites for the next scanline. During this part of the signal, they output either solid black (as on a PAL NES or any Super NES), palette entry 0 (as on an NTSC NES), or a palette entry controlled by the program (as on a Genesis).

In your situation, perhaps the best way to produce an authentic-looking border (as one might see by connecting a console to an HDTV) is to overlay the entire scene with a 280x180-pixel object that has a 256x176-pixel cutout in the center. Then resize in a video editor as described. Doing the border in GameMaker as opposed to in the video editor has the advantage that you can change the border color to reflect changes in color 0.

A frameserver is an application that feeds video to another application. In Video for Windows, a client application (such as a video editor) requests a particular frame from VFW, and VFW passes the request on to the format's installed decoder. The decoder decodes the frame and sends it to VFW, and VFW forwards it to the client. To a VFW client, such as VirtualDub, AviSynth just appears as a really fancy decoder. You write a script in AviSynth's language, and then it reads videos, transforms them as described, and sends the frames to VirtualDub.
nocash

Post by nocash »

knight0fdragon wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:03 pmOne of the things we had to do as kids was mess with the VHold knob on the back of the TV when playing games to constantly hide the distractions.
lidnariq wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:47 pm That sure sounds to me like your TV was miscalibrated. Maybe someone had screwed around with the service menu at some point in the past, or if it was a TV that predated service menus, has something maladjusted.
The V-Hold and possible V-Size knobs were analog potentiometers on the back of black & white era TV sets, which might well have been used with NES consoles... and yes, that models did predated service menus ; )
I am not sure what those knobs were good for, maybe compensating temperature issues? On the other hand, a knob with dirty contacts could introduce its own issues, requiring to turn the knob back and forth every once and then.
The later color TV's with Infrared remote controls usually got away without that knobs (or at least one didn't need to re-adjust them on a daily basis).
homepage - patreon - you can think of a bit as a bottle that is either half full or half empty
bazza

Post by bazza »

Very well storyboard.
you can create a NES with pixel no square. distorsion to 16:9.
2019-12-22-152314_512x480_scrot.png
Attachments
nave.nes
(40.02 KiB) Downloaded 259 times
knight0fdragon

Post by knight0fdragon »

nocash wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:05 am
knight0fdragon wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:03 pmOne of the things we had to do as kids was mess with the VHold knob on the back of the TV when playing games to constantly hide the distractions.
lidnariq wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:47 pm That sure sounds to me like your TV was miscalibrated. Maybe someone had screwed around with the service menu at some point in the past, or if it was a TV that predated service menus, has something maladjusted.
The V-Hold and possible V-Size knobs were analog potentiometers on the back of black & white era TV sets, which might well have been used with NES consoles... and yes, that models did predated service menus ; )
I am not sure what those knobs were good for, maybe compensating temperature issues? On the other hand, a knob with dirty contacts could introduce its own issues, requiring to turn the knob back and forth every once and then.
The later color TV's with Infrared remote controls usually got away without that knobs (or at least one didn't need to re-adjust them on a daily basis).

Yeah, the TV I used back in the day did not have an infrared remote, but it was color. It also had rotary dials, one for VHF, and one for UHF. It didn't even have coaxial lol, it was straight up bunny ear connection. Growing up in the 80s when the NES first came out, these TVs became your "2nd TV" (At least where I grew up) which we used for games without having to screw around with the parents expensive equipment LOL.
Macbee

Post by Macbee »

What happened to this project?
I was very curious to see the results since NES on widescreen is a subject that interest me a lot.
nesrocks wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:00 pm Macbee has made some demos using the full NES resolution, but made it so graphics optimized for widescreen, so it will look good on wide displays, but will appear stretched if viewed on 4:3 screens.
Not exactly demos (since I can't program), only image simulations like this widescreen Star Wars logo:

nesrocks wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:00 pm I believe his new PC game Skatemasta Tcheco follows this rule. https://twitter.com/tchecoforevis/statu ... 28/photo/1
Yes, it's played (by default) on 15:9 aspect ratio but it's resolution is 256 x 240.

A free demo can be played at http://tcheco.com/skatemasta/