Retro Game Builder (make your own snes games)

Discussion of hardware and software development for Super NES and Super Famicom.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
  • For making cartridges of your Super NES games, see Reproduction.
Erockbrox

Retro Game Builder (make your own snes games)

Post by Erockbrox » Thu May 14, 2020 10:57 am

It's a piece of software which allows you to make snes games.

https://retrogamebuilder.com/

poorstudenthobbyist

Re: Retro Game Builder (make your own snes games)

Post by poorstudenthobbyist » Thu May 14, 2020 11:22 am

I'm actually working with Andy on this! Very exciting project.
Check out my website for NES, SNES, and Genesis tutorials here. And visit my store for some custom tools and boards for making games here.

You can also follow me on Twitter for infrequent updates and bad jokes!

poorstudenthobbyist

Post by poorstudenthobbyist » Fri May 15, 2020 6:19 pm

https://youtu.be/NwfqCrnGOts

He just released a video with a bit more detail, if anyone is interested!
Check out my website for NES, SNES, and Genesis tutorials here. And visit my store for some custom tools and boards for making games here.

You can also follow me on Twitter for infrequent updates and bad jokes!

calima

Post by calima » Sat May 16, 2020 12:18 am

I am so pissed at the modern fad of only posting videos. No I'm not spending X minutes listening to you when I could read the meat in 10 seconds.

Pokun

Post by Pokun » Sat May 16, 2020 2:03 am

I agree, videos explaining things that could be explained in text much faster, takes too much of your time.

Oziphantom

Post by Oziphantom » Sat May 16, 2020 4:58 am

so this is SNES maker? It's going to be a KS to make a tool that lets you build a snes game, and then you use the Kazzo programmer to write an IL flash cart and run the game on hardware?

retrogamebuilder

Post by retrogamebuilder » Sat May 16, 2020 9:35 am

Pokun wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 2:03 am
I agree, videos explaining things that could be explained in text much faster, takes too much of your time.
That's understandable. Everybody has their own preferences. I've created a blog with the same content as the video:

https://retrogamebuilder.com/news/

The embedded video is at the top of the post, but I've also transcribed the full text and included screenshots and links.
Oziphantom wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 4:58 am
so this is SNES maker? It's going to be a KS to make a tool that lets you build a snes game, and then you use the Kazzo programmer to write an IL flash cart and run the game on hardware?
Retro Game Builder (both software and hardware) is a separate project from "SNESmaker", and is not affiliated with The New 8-Bit Heroes or Infinite NES Lives. There's bound to be some confusion because they (8-Bit Heroes) are coincidentally working on their SNESmaker tool as well. I really like the things that Joe Granato and his team create, and I also think it will be great for the retro gaming community to have more options. I recommend checking them both out when they become available.

calima

Post by calima » Sat May 16, 2020 10:41 am

Great, thanks for the blog!

retrogamebuilder

Post by retrogamebuilder » Sat May 16, 2020 2:06 pm

No problem at all. As a developer I don't like video tutorials as well as written ones, so I get it. I'll try to do both when practical.

Oziphantom

Post by Oziphantom » Sat May 16, 2020 10:32 pm

I didn't know the people who were making NESMaker were actually making a SNES one. My comments were more "the spirit" of the idea, not "the concrete instance of it", as in did I read this right? As the details in the video were slim.

retrogamebuilder

Post by retrogamebuilder » Sun May 17, 2020 12:28 am

I'm not sure I know what you mean, but I can tell you that yes, RGB is a tool that will let you make SNES games. It's currently a work in progress, and once I reach a certain point in development there will be a Kickstarter to fund the rest. And yes, the cart programmer is similar in function to a Kazzo programmer. I hope that answers your question.

Erockbrox

Post by Erockbrox » Sun May 17, 2020 3:31 pm

I am aware that the SNES has several "modes" for example one of the most famous is mode 7, but there are other modes as well. How will handling the various modes of the system?

What options for ROM sizes will be available? 1mb,2mb,4mb rom sizes?

retrogamebuilder

Post by retrogamebuilder » Sun May 17, 2020 11:17 pm

The current design uses scenes, kind of like Unity. Each scene is associated with a mode. I haven't decided whether I'll add a logic node to change the mode on the fly, but at the very least you'll be able to switch between scenes with different modes. I know it's possible to mix modes (with IRQs, I think), but I haven't gotten there yet.

I'm implementing mode 1 first, and then mode 7, since those are probably the most common/useful modes in practice.

Up to 32 Mbit will be supported, since that's the physical size of the flash memory on the cartridges I'm using.

Oziphantom

Post by Oziphantom » Mon May 18, 2020 12:03 am

If you are going to switch modes, just HDMA it. Unless you need all the HDMA channels for something else.

Nikku4211

Post by Nikku4211 » Sun May 24, 2020 2:32 pm

This is a pretty cool idea. I've always wanted to make video games since I was a kid. Especially SNES games, as the SNES just so happens to be my favourite console.

I used to make games for PC on PowerPoint. It was weird, but it was quite the unique use for such a presentation program, thanks to hyperlinks and Visual Basic for Applications(not to be confused with VisualBoy Advance). It was also cool with all of PowerPoint's animations.

So if the visual coding system will be like Unity, then I really hope all the code and the overall engine will be very optimised. Optimisation is very important for such an old system like the SNES. I'm not about to try to make a whole shoot 'em up, only to find out that the Retro Game Builder engine chokes when there's only 10 enemies on screen.
I have an ASD, so empathy is not natural for me. If I hurt you, I apologise.