I updated my NES reproduction tutorial for beginners

Discuss technical or other issues relating to programming the Nintendo Entertainment System, Famicom, or compatible systems.

Moderator: Moderators

poorstudenthobbyist

I updated my NES reproduction tutorial for beginners

Post by poorstudenthobbyist » Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:59 pm

Hi everyone!

I wrote an NES repro tutorial, like, six years ago. It had some inaccuracies and was a bit awkward to follow. I think I originally wrote it like it was a classic Cracked listicle (wow, that sentence dates me). So over the past two weeks I decided to finally update it. Since it's been up for so long, there have been a lot of people over the years who have read it and contacted me about it, so I'm pretty sure I'm on or near page 1 google searches. Figured I should have better instructions for people to follow :lol:

I also made an adapter PCB to replace the need to rewire EPROMs in the slots, similar to the SNES ones I have. They've been very helpful for me now that I've started to get back into NES repros again, and plus they still fit inside cartridge when using DIP sockets on them for testing EPROMs out (I only have a toaster NES, so I need a cart without taking the top off).

If you want to look it over, you can find it here. If you find any errors or have any comments or criticisms, let me know, feedback is welcome.

lidnariq

Re: I updated my NES reproduction tutorial for beginners

Post by lidnariq » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:33 pm

But why can’t I just reprogram the chips that are already on the board? Because they’re one-time programmable! Once you’ve programmed those specific chips for the first time, you can’t change the code on it.
Arguably they're "zero times programmable" - the data was baked in at the time they were fabricated.