Jet Set Willy style game

A place where you can keep others updated about your NES-related projects through screenshots, videos or information in general.

Moderator: Moderators

sdm2

Jet Set Willy style game

Post by sdm2 »

There is Jet Set Willy like game (NESASM3). The game started two years ago, and at the moment most of the code is working. It's not a perfect copy, but my own attempt to make a similar engine with differently designed levels. Several game components are not working yet.

Gameplay:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-rR4yDwAa4

Attachments
jetnes.nes
(256.02 KiB) Downloaded 330 times
jetset.jpg
Last edited by sdm2 on Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
rox_midge

Re: Jet Set Willy style game

Post by rox_midge »

EPILEPSY WARNING: The game over screen has flashing colors that could trigger an epileptic seizure! sdm2, you may want to do something about that.

You've replicated the feel of the originals quite well here - the same mix of weirdness and humor. I think it's helped by using a lot of the original art, too.

If you enter the test room from the left side of the pit, you are given an unavoidable game over, because you fall onto the spider-thing over and over again until you're out of lives. Given that it's a testroom (it's right there in the name), this might be OK. In some places I was able to make jumps I thought I shouldn't be able to make - I jumped out of the testroom once, and couldn't jump out again - and wasn't able to make jumps I thought would be easy. But as I recall, I had the same frustration about the original, so maybe you just did an excellent job on the movement code :)
lancuster

Post by lancuster »

You need to fix position of this enemy:
Jet Set Willy v 0.19 (Demo)1-0.png
Jet Set Willy v 0.19 (Demo)1-0.png (2.06 KiB) Viewed 5810 times
And here is my some level design fixes:
Jet Set Willy v 0.19 (Demo)1.nes
(256.02 KiB) Downloaded 360 times
sdm2

Post by sdm2 »

lancuster wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:19 am You need to fix position of this enemy:
Jet Set Willy v 0.19 (Demo)1-0.png
It is specially placed to block the way forward. Because no further maps are designed.