Is $08 "brown" or "olive" ? Why does it vary so much from screen to screen?

A place for your artistic side. Discuss techniques and tools for pixel art on the NES, GBC, or similar platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

frantik

Re: Is $08 "brown" or "olive" ? Why does it vary so much from screen to screen?

Post by frantik »

turboxray wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:18 am And you're gonna have issues from CRT to CRT (not just red-push or not, but how people have settings adjusted). And there's still the same issue on LCD to LCD. Depending on the color, it could have issues there as well (PC-Engine 9bit color palette has a few problem colors like this, even on LCDs).
Yeah if people have their color settings all weird I'm not worried about that.. that's on them! But for people who spend time calibrating the color on their display it should look right. I mostly just wondered why there is such a difference in these specific colors and why they consistently look olive on newer displays/"accurate" emulators but seem to be brown on crts and on older emulators with hand selected palettes (based off crts). I at least sorta got an answer they they look that way on newer stuff but as always, the CRT color discussion is left to be a mystery to some degree
Last edited by frantik on Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Controllerhead

Post by Controllerhead »

NTSC - Never The Same Color :roll:

It truly varies from screen to screen unfortunately. NTSC color burst interpretation seems to be more of a suggestion than an exact science. Ah, the good 'ol days. I have a TV where some of the purples ($03 / $13 / $23) are clearly blue.
Zepper
Formerly Fx3

Post by Zepper »

Color $08 is NOT olive, since the color tones (or shades) have blue, a green value nearby the blue value, and high red.
I tested 3 NES palettes, and they don't bring blue (value $00). Red and green are very nearby, which doesn't match the olive tones.
Look at the image below.

On the other hand, perhaps you find this info interesting too. It brings olive with no blue.
In a RGB color space, hex #808000 (also known as Olive, Heart Gold) is composed of 50.2% red, 50.2% green and 0% blue.
https://www.colorhexa.com/808000

Color $08 according to this site:
RGB #523000 color description : Very dark orange [Brown tone].
turboxray

Post by turboxray »

Controllerhead wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:34 am NTSC - Never The Same Color :roll:

It truly varies from screen to screen unfortunately. NTSC color burst interpretation seems to be more of a suggestion than an exact science. Ah, the good 'ol days. I have a TV where some of the purples ($03 / $13 / $23) are clearly blue.
Except composite video isn't broadcast 4.5mhz limited NTSC RF, and your experience with different TV sets being slight off in color, has nothing to do with the "Never the Same Color" joke. That's a different issue, it's not the 1960's and 70's anymore.
Bregalad

Post by Bregalad »

Controllerhead wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:34 am NTSC - Never The Same Color :roll:
turboxray wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:00 pm with the "Never the Same Color" joke.
The joke is actually Never Twice the Same Color.
Useless, lumbering half-wits don't scare us.
frantik

Post by frantik »

Zepper wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:03 amColor $08 according to this site:
according to which site? that color is much more what $08 looks like on my tv.. but every "accurate" emulator and lcd display includes way more green
Zepper
Formerly Fx3

Post by Zepper »

frantik wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:58 pm
according to which site? that color is much more what $08 looks like on my tv.. but every "accurate" emulator and lcd display includes way more green
Again?
frantik

Post by frantik »

Zepper wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:40 pm
Again?
where are these RGB values coming from? Who says $08 is 523000? What does 808000 have to do with anything?
Zepper
Formerly Fx3

Post by Zepper »

frantik wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:02 pm
Zepper wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:40 pm

Again?
where are these RGB values coming from? Who says $08 is 523000? What does 808000 have to do with anything?
You're asking for OLIVE or BROWN, so here it is.
Such info is NO WAY a triplex for any of the RGB NES palette indexes.
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

Pedantry about the definitions of color terms is definitely off-topic. After all, we're trying to decipher NTSC, CRTs, and the 2A02, not the human eye and brain :P
frantik

Post by frantik »

lidnariq wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:16 pmnot the human eye and brain :P
you do bring up yet another layer of difficulty with color perception though... :twisted:
bngrybt

Post by bngrybt »

Just in case you feel like being even more confused about the concept of brown...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wh4aWZRtTwU
Zepper
Formerly Fx3

Post by Zepper »

bngrybt wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:47 am Just in case you feel like being even more confused about the concept of brown...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wh4aWZRtTwU
Awesome!
frantik

Post by frantik »

It seems like even various NTSC filters can't agree on this color.. in Mesen if you choose Blargg's NTSC filter, you will get more olive tones, while Bisqwit's is definitely brown. I feel like Bisqwit's is closer to my TV though the composite effect is really heavy handed. I went through various color options again and still settled on the same combo.

One thing I haven't seen any filters do is add the bloom and haloing you get from CRTs though that's completely separate issue

pic for reference.. the CRT is hard to photograph the brightness how it actually looked but the color tone comes out more or less correctly. Not even a hint of green in $08. The Blargg NTSC filter seems like it's used in Mesen and Fceux, if not others.

Untitled-15.png

and if you like Technology Connections and color, don't miss the RGB video
frantik

Post by frantik »

I noticed Nintendo released Super Mario Bros 35 the other day.. they clearly have decided than $22 is officially that weird purplish color.. it's interesting if you look at SMB hack screen shots over time, more recent hacks tend to use the purple color but older ones are a range of blue shades. Kinda odd how over time colors have shifted around