Connect AY-3-8910 sound chip to FME-7 board

Discuss hardware-related topics, such as development cartridges, CopyNES, PowerPak, EPROMs, or whatever.

Moderator: Moderators

kevtris

Post by kevtris »

sdm wrote:I cannot see detailed info on your schematics:
?
That is a 3 pin reset generator. When voltage gets below 4V, the output of that goes low. And it goes low for about 200ms after power is first turned on. You can use an RC reset circuit just fine, but I prefer those reset generators. If you need a part number I can probably scare one up in digikey or similar. I just had 'em laying around so I used it.
/* this is a comment */
sdm

Post by sdm »

I have problem with mixing AY3 audio output with fc audio pins (famicom pins 45/46). When i connect AY3 to pins 45/46 i hear only NES music. I see that VRC6 carts have some resistors beetwen vrc6 and audio pins.
How to fix it??

Works, but i cannot mix channels into one output
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETIJHSaDG1Q

EDIT: Ok i fix it:)

Result:
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Npa46uKTNVk
Mp3: direct from fami-clone deck AUDIO OUT :)
http://members.lycos.co.uk/siudym/fme7ay3.mp3 (right mouse button->menu->save file as... - download ONLY that)

kevtris

Post by kevtris »

sdm wrote:I have problem with mixing AY3 audio output with fc audio pins (famicom pins 45/46). When i connect AY3 to pins 45/46 i hear only NES music. I see that VRC6 carts have some resistors beetwen vrc6 and audio pins.
How to fix it??

Works, but i cannot mix channels into one output
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETIJHSaDG1Q

EDIT: Ok i fix it:)
Woot, looks good and sounds good! Glad you got it working
/* this is a comment */
kyuusaku

Post by kyuusaku »

Sounds slow.. is the console 50hz?
sdm

Post by sdm »

kevtris wrote: Woot, looks good and sounds good! Glad you got it working
BIG Thanx 4 YOU :D
kyuusaku wrote:Sounds slow.. is the console 50hz?
Yes - PAL/Europe :)

Scucci

Post by Scucci »

Sorry for the thread neco, but I just wanted to thank everyone involved with this (SDM, Kevtris) for the inspiration and Kevtris especially for the help.

Uses the "PowerPak" resistor mod (47Kohm between 3 and 9 on the expansion port).

Works like a champ.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuC8pMwvRGk

Shrunk it down to an AY-3-8912 instead of an 8910 so I could fit it in a cartridge easily.
MottZilla

Post by MottZilla »

That looks awesome. Would be nice though if it were implemented in a full cartridge PCB with FME7 on a CPLD or something though opposed to using Batman RotJ boards but it's still neat to see Gimmick like that.
Scucci

Post by Scucci »

MottZilla wrote:That looks awesome. Would be nice though if it were implemented in a full cartridge PCB with FME7 on a CPLD or something though opposed to using Batman RotJ boards but it's still neat to see Gimmick like that.
Yeah, would be nice... but luckily, Batman: RotJ carts are easy to come by.

I had to go with a 8912 just to be sure I could get a board made that was small enough to fit in the regular cart without having to mod anything. The cart weighs a good bit more than a regular cart, but looks completely normal on the outside.
MottZilla

Post by MottZilla »

I wonder if anyone, I guess Loopy or BunnyBoy has looked into adding expansion sound to the PowerPAK mapper for FME7/Subsoft5b. It would be nice to play Gimmick on the PowerPAK with full sound someday.
Scucci

Post by Scucci »

MottZilla wrote:I wonder if anyone, I guess Loopy or BunnyBoy has looked into adding expansion sound to the PowerPAK mapper for FME7/Subsoft5b. It would be nice to play Gimmick on the PowerPAK with full sound someday.
From what I've heard... it more or less kinda does. I don't have a PowerPak to check it out on, but I've heard that it can do the extra audio, more or less. I have heard it's a bit of a hack, but works'sh... again, no idea for sure, I don't have PowerPak.
Memblers
Site Admin

Post by Memblers »

That's pretty cool. Also pretty interesting to see the Microchip logo on that chip, and that it was still being made it seems in 91.
tepples

Post by tepples »

NovaYoshi resistor-modded his NES, and Gimmick's sound plays fine through a PowerPak.
Scucci

Post by Scucci »

Memblers wrote:That's pretty cool. Also pretty interesting to see the Microchip logo on that chip, and that it was still being made it seems in 91.
Yeah, but given the price of the things, you wouldn't think '91. Then again, I'm cheap.
Jeroen

Post by Jeroen »

Scucci wrote:
MottZilla wrote:I wonder if anyone, I guess Loopy or BunnyBoy has looked into adding expansion sound to the PowerPAK mapper for FME7/Subsoft5b. It would be nice to play Gimmick on the PowerPAK with full sound someday.
From what I've heard... it more or less kinda does. I don't have a PowerPak to check it out on, but I've heard that it can do the extra audio, more or less. I have heard it's a bit of a hack, but works'sh... again, no idea for sure, I don't have PowerPak.
The powerpak plays gimmick + sound fine. Just be sure to download loopy's mapper pack.
MottZilla

Post by MottZilla »

I've never seen anywhere saying that Loopy's mapper 69 supported extra sound. If it does I must have missed it. Where can you get loopy's latest mappers or are they in the official DL?