Disable signature display?

Found an issue with the phpBB system here at NESdev? Use this forum to report problems.

Moderator: Moderators

blargg

Disable signature display?

Post by blargg »

Could someone please point me to a way to disable display of people's signatures in forums? Some people have signatures that are quite distracting and cluttered.
Roth

Post by Roth »

If you are an admin, you can of course do it in the admin panel by searching for the user, and directly cutting off their ability to show a sig. If you're not an admin, you can always use Firefox's Adblock extension.
blargg

Post by blargg »

Any way to enable support for not showing signatures? I think I've seen it as an option on other phpBB boards.
NotTheCommonDose

Post by NotTheCommonDose »

I use adblock.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

I've seen boards that only display avatars and signatures to logged members, guests can't see them. So it seems possible that such an option (to hide signatures) exists, and maybe could be made avaliable to each user.
Roth

Post by Roth »

blargg wrote:Any way to enable support for not showing signatures? I think I've seen it as an option on other phpBB boards.
I used to visit a forum that let each user determine whether they wanted to view signatures forum-wide. It was a V-bulletin board though. This is also an option in phpBB3. I'm not sure if there is a hack for phpBB2 to do this or not.

If you are wanting to garner support by the userbase here to have the admin shut off the use of signatures as a whole on the forum (which I'm almost sure is an option in the admin panel), I don't think too many of us will have hurt feelings ; )
blargg

Post by blargg »

I'm not seeing how to filter out signatures in AdBlock Plus. It seems to only filter out images and Flash animations. Does this require the original AdBlock, and not Plus?
Bregalad

Post by Bregalad »

It's true that signatures are overall an anoying feature, seeing the same piece of text again and again is alright if that's short, but seeing crappy large image again and again really pisses me off.

I'm pretty sure noone arround here have a signature, and the few that have doesn't have a really annoying one. BTW when posting you can disable your signature I believe, but I don't know if there is a way to disable other people's signature.
dXtr

Post by dXtr »

In respect of other members I decided to remove my signature too as it really is pointless and I personally also get annoyed by signatures ;)

Btw. If you have firefox you could install something like greasemonkey and write a script for hiding signatures, might work.
tepples

Post by tepples »

It turns out that the admins have turned off signatures.
BMF54123

Post by BMF54123 »

Hooray. I thought something looked different. :)

(I had one, but it was nothing more than a link to my website, added long ago)
NotTheCommonDose

Post by NotTheCommonDose »

WTF!
Zepper
Formerly Fx3

Post by Zepper »

Not the common dose I suppose... :)
Celius

Post by Celius »

Yeah, I was wondering about this earlier... I had a link to my website in my signature, but that's all. Now I REALLY doubt people will ever visit my site. That's okay, I don't have much on there, and I mostly use it as a place to keep files.
blargg

Post by blargg »

Celius wrote:Yeah, I was wondering about this earlier... I had a link to my website in my signature, but that's all. Now I REALLY doubt people will ever visit my site. That's okay, I don't have much on there, and I mostly use it as a place to keep files.
What's stopping someone from using the "WWW" button, shown at the bottom of every post whose author has a website? For example, yours links to http://www.freewebs.com/the_bott. I regularly visit people's websites when I think they might have something interesting up. If you'd like to advertise your site more prominently, you make a post in the general forum requesting people to visit.