60 to 72 pins DIY

Discuss hardware-related topics, such as development cartridges, CopyNES, PowerPak, EPROMs, or whatever.

Moderator: Moderators

shiny

60 to 72 pins DIY

Post by shiny »

Hi, I have a question. If I would take a famicom cart connector and solder it onto a pal nes, skipping (or grounding) security and expansion pins, would such nes play famicom games? Provided of course that the lockout chip on nes would be properly disabled (grounded).

I'm looking at this pinouts as a reference:

http://www.jandar.net/famiconv/rom.txt
http://www.jandar.net/famiconv/fam_pinout.txt

Cheers!
Memblers
Site Admin

Post by Memblers »

Sure. Ignore unused outputs, and wire ground (or VCC) to the unused inputs, and that would do it.

Seems like a painful way to plug in a cart though. There are NES adapters for FC carts, though I don't know where to get one.
shiny

Post by shiny »

That's nice to hear. I'm thinking about it mostly because I don't know where to _easily_ find an adapter here, and because I have a load of famiclone carts which could be fun to play on a real NES (hi quality pads with long cables, multitap). And I have a spare NES too. Not mentioning the joy of soldering...
I presume using a famiclone cart connector (and games) instead of an original japanese famicom ones is not a problem?

Looking forward to playing 999999 in 1 on a NES :D

Cheers!
BMF54123

Post by BMF54123 »

You can probably find an adaptor on eBay, though I haven't looked myself.

If you insist on doing it the hard way, I would recommend mutilating a Famiclone, especially the "Super Joy" variety. The would could always use less of those.
tepples

Post by tepples »

BMF54123 wrote:You can probably find an adaptor on eBay
eBay has long had a policy against them.
BMF54123

Post by BMF54123 »

Well, that figures. Can't have those dirty old Famicom games corrupting our youth, I guess.

(I understand it's a blanket policy meant to eliminate sales of modchips, but it's silly to include passive adapters for a system that's over 20 years old. Why not include Famicom games and systems as well, since we're clearly not supposed to be using them over here?)
tepples

Post by tepples »

BMF54123 wrote:I understand it's a blanket policy meant to eliminate sales of modchips, but it's silly to include passive adapters for a system that's over 20 years old.
You say 20 years. That's the patent term. Copyrights and trademarks last longer than this:
  • 20 < 95. Games are copyrighted, and adapters circumvent access controls in violation of 17 USC 1201(a) (and foreign counterparts in the case of eBay sites in other countries).
  • 20 < forever. Console names and game titles are trademarked.
Why not include Famicom games and systems as well, since we're clearly not supposed to be using them over here?
eBay is way ahead of you. Its policy on the importation of goods lists "A video game player or software that is the Japanese version of the player or game and not intended for use in the United States" as an example of a potentially infringing item.
sleepy9090

Post by sleepy9090 »

I bought mine on ebayz off this guy for a couple bucks

CLICK ME

you would want one that goes the other way though, or i guess old gyromite carts or similar one have an adapter already inside them.
Celius

Post by Celius »

Yes, I actually purchased a Yobo Famiclone that included a 72-to-60 converter inside of it. 72 to 60 converters aren't hard to find at all. However, it took me a really long time to find a 60 to 72. I found it inside an old Stack-Up cart. I actually bought a Gyromite cart because I heard they came inside of those, but to my disappointment, I opened it to behold a plain old NES board with no converter.

If you do find a cart with a converter inside of it, you'll have to saw these things off the sides of the converter in order to stick a famicom cart with it's case on in it. If you don't remove this things from the side, you'll have to take famicom games out of their case in order to put them into the converter.
BMF54123

Post by BMF54123 »

tepples wrote:lots of stupid crap
Yes, I know all about those God-forsaken infinite copyrights. That's practically all I ever read about here anymore. I personally think it's extremely stupid and pointless to restrict sales of adapters and games for a system that has not even been in production for 15 years (at least in the US).

I guess it's a good thing I don't use eBay anymore.
tepples

Post by tepples »

BMF54123 wrote:I guess it's a good thing I don't use eBay anymore.
What online person-to-person sales venue do you recommend now?
drk421

Post by drk421 »

I guess it's a good thing I don't use eBay anymore

What online person-to-person sales venue do you recommend now
I've been looking for an alternative to ebay for some time. Specifically for video games and systems. Ebay seriously sucks now, and I avoid it as much as possible. If there is no alternative, its time for ebay to get some competition.
BMF54123

Post by BMF54123 »

tepples wrote:What online person-to-person sales venue do you recommend now?
I haven't actually used any for a couple of years now. I don't buy used computer hardware anymore, and most of my import gaming needs are met by either Pink Godzilla or people I know online.
crade

Post by crade »

The famicom adapters are not Mod chips, Game enhancers, or boot disks.. So I don't see how they are covered by that statement.

They sort of hint that any device allowing play of an imported game is against their policy (the "these devices" is kind of ambiguous), but I'm pretty sure they don't blanket all devices that allow play of import games.

They sure don't seem to mind people selling crappy famiclones. I purchased my game converters from someone on ebay, and I've seen coverters of both direction come up there once in a while.
Roth

Post by Roth »

There's an up and coming gamers auction site called chasethechuckwagon.com that is pretty good. I don't think there is much (if any) import stuff on it right now, but it's quickly growing. Prototype cartridges and the like can be sold/bought there, so I don't see why imports couldn't be as well.

EDIT: edited for my poor grammar hehe