Action 52 NSF Ripped!

Discuss NSF files, FamiTracker, MML tools, or anything else related to NES music.

Moderator: Moderators

kevtris

Action 52 NSF Ripped!

Post by kevtris »

Well, I wasted a few days of my life and made something I always wanted, the Action 52 NSF!

Since Cheetahmen 2 uses the same music, I guess this is a rip of that too. The CM2 title theme is just "Fuzz Power".

Anyways, it was a huge massive hack, but was alot of fun too.

I started by disassembling the music engine, and learned that it was the same across all 52 games. The code on it appears to be "too good" for the A52, and I highly suspect it might be ripped from somewhere.

I will post the complete commented source for it soon, after I clean it up, along with the music data format.

Basically what I did was I dumped a 32K bank of every single Action 52 game including the intro to Cheetahmen (it's a "game" like the others) and then all 6 of the Cheetahmen levels (which are separate "games" too).

Incidentally, the special title screens on a few of the other games are also separate "games", as are the screens of the intro.

I did not capture the digital audio in this rip but I will eventually. It all does raw writes to 4011 and does not use DPCM at all, even on the Cheetahmen game.

After ripping the game banks (58 of them), I wrote a QBASIC program to go through and check/extract all the music it could find, verifying that the data was good. It also relocated the music to 0000h, from wherever it happened to be.

Turns out there were alot of crappy pointers that lead to never-never land and were not used!

After all that, I had 300-some separate track files which held all the "tunes" and SFX, one per file. I ZIPed them up and then sorted by CRC to remove the duplicates, leaving just 1 copy of everything.

Then I wrote some more QBASIC to stitch and relocate the music into banks.

Incidentally, the music and data was just sprayed ALL OVER ROM... After seeing this, I'm almost convinced the games were put together with a hex editor. There were all sorts of little errors in the music due to what looked like manual data entry.

That "unpaused" SFX is in nearly every game, and it appeared in memory in 40 places or so- a different place for each game. The music driver almost always used the same places in RAM (390-48f) except for games with a title screen, and the cheetahmen, but the driver code was again sprayed all over the ROM.

Fortunately, finding the table offset was fairly easy, so knowing that my programs could extract the music fairly effectively.

Once I had all the parts I did some very minimal mods to the player code (basically adding bank support) and made the NSF.

I hope people enjoy :-)

http://blog.kevtris.org/blogfiles/Action%2052.nsf
/* this is a comment */
BMF54123

Post by BMF54123 »

You're both awesome and terrible at the same time. I hope this hasn't scarred you too badly. :shock:
Knurek

Post by Knurek »

Not to rain on your parade, but someone (don't keep track of who does NSF rips, sorry, though I strongly suspect Offgao from 2CH) already ripped the NSF with all(?) the samples intact.

http://snesmusic.org/hoot/Action%2052%2 ... rises).nsf

Not sure if it's complete otherwise (has 124 tracks, but first 10 or so are the samples, so the real song number is a bit lower than in your file).
Drag

Post by Drag »

Even though the games are crap, I always thought it had some decent tunes in it here and there. I hope I'm not the only one who thinks that. o_O

Nonetheless, thanks for ripping this. :)
Dwedit

Post by Dwedit »

It is documented that some of Action 52's music was plagiarized from the example tunes which came with the music composition program used.
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!
kevtris

Post by kevtris »

Knurek wrote:Not to rain on your parade, but someone (don't keep track of who does NSF rips, sorry, though I strongly suspect Offgao from 2CH) already ripped the NSF with all(?) the samples intact.
Damn, why couldn't I find this a week ago? I looked around and nothing. That one is indeed complete it looks like.
/* this is a comment */
kevtris

Post by kevtris »

Dwedit wrote:It is documented that some of Action 52's music was plagiarized from the example tunes which came with the music composition program used.
Do you have any more information on what music system was used? Again this is all new info to me, and is not anywhere in easily accessable form that I could find.
/* this is a comment */
Zepper
Formerly Fx3

Post by Zepper »

The kevtris rip works with WinAMP+NotSoFatso. The other rip doesn't.
Knurek

Post by Knurek »

Fx3 wrote:The kevtris rip works with WinAMP+NotSoFatso. The other rip doesn't.
Works fine in NEZPlug++, that's all I care about.
Gil-Galad

Post by Gil-Galad »

Is why I only ripped the voice samples from the title screen awhile back. I didn't want to go through all that work of ripping the entire game as it's a mess.
NotTheCommonDose

Post by NotTheCommonDose »

Notso is all I care about.
NotTheCommonDose

Knurek wrote:Not to rain on your parade, but someone (don't keep track of who does NSF rips, sorry, though I strongly suspect Offgao from 2CH) already ripped the NSF with all(?) the samples intact.

http://snesmusic.org/hoot/Action%2052%2 ... rises).nsf

Not sure if it's complete otherwise (has 124 tracks, but first 10 or so are the samples, so the real song number is a bit lower than in your file).
Link not working.
Knurek

Post by Knurek »

NotTheCommonDose wrote:
Link not working.
Le sigh.

http://tinyurl.com/5c2bur
NotTheCommonDose

It does work with notSoFatso in fact both versions do.
Banshaku

Post by Banshaku »

Thanks for extracting that file, must have been hell (Didn't know that rip existed too).

After listening to it, it gave me a smile.. I thought my current songs were not so great but actually... That's doesn't seems to be the case! :lol:

Thanks again!