It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:11 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:54 am 
Formerly Fx3

I guess I had an older version here. It was dating 2006 with less than 200k. The latest on the website dates 2004 and it's more than 200k. Go figure. It works now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:04 pm 

kevtris wrote:
Dwedit wrote:
It is documented that some of Action 52's music was plagiarized from the example tunes which came with the music composition program used.

Do you have any more information on what music system was used? Again this is all new info to me, and is not anywhere in easily accessable form that I could find.

Activision's The Music Studio.

Dwedit is correct: some of the music was taken from the example tunes of Music Studio. Ed Bogas composed all the plagiarized tracks.

http://www.nanjamonja.com/muzak/tms/
(Sorry about the split zip files, these are leftover from explaining the same thing, ironically enough, to JP folks in mixi over a year ago when Cheetahmen remixing was all the next hip thing there)

Here's a list of the names of the tracks, & their respective games:
Bossa Nova -> FUZZ POWER & Cheetahmen II's OP
Aisle Dance -> SILVER SWORD
Tango -> FRENCH BAKER
Calypso -> STREEMERZ
Boogie -> TIME WARP TICKERS
Mystery -> NINJA ASSAULT

There were various home computer versions of the editor made (Atari 8-bit, Commodore 64, Amiga, Atari ST, Apple IIGS), so I wouldn't exactly know which one was used. However, given the consistency of the Atari ST's demo tracks & the game itself, I'm willing to bet that version's usage.

I always wondered why certain tracks in Action 52 sounded awfully similar to the demo tunes of the first Amiga music editor I ever used. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:29 pm 

Quote:

Dwedit is correct: some of the music was taken from the example tunes of Music Studio. Ed Bogas composed all the plagiarized tracks.

Thanks for the info.. that was great. I knew the music was too good to be written by the same dood that made the action 52. Good to know it was stolen. LOL

Knowing that, I wonder where the graphics came from? I don't really recognize any as stolen, and I thought the graphics weren't THAT bad. Maybe the guy could only do NES graphics and not code.

Anyways, I checked around and the music driver isn't original either. I found the same driver in a few other games. I will make a list and stuff later when I do more investigation.

I don't think Activision made an NES player for the music did they? Or did they have some "developer" version?

Day dreaming davy uses the player as does eliminator boat duel. The code is slightly different on both (mainly variable allocation) but the code engine seems identical. I was going to pull the music just for fun and make new NSFs maybe. (I'm sure the NSFs have been ripped at this point though)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:12 pm 

chibi-tech wrote:
kevtris wrote:
Dwedit wrote:
It is documented that some of Action 52's music was plagiarized from the example tunes which came with the music composition program used.

Do you have any more information on what music system was used? Again this is all new info to me, and is not anywhere in easily accessable form that I could find.

http://www.nanjamonja.com/muzak/tms/
(Sorry about the split zip files, these are leftover from explaining the same thing, ironically enough, to JP folks in mixi over a year ago when Cheetahmen remixing was all the next hip thing there)

Here's a list of the names of the tracks, & their respective games:
Bossa Nova -> FUZZ POWER & Cheetahmen II's OP
Aisle Dance -> SILVER SWORD
Tango -> FRENCH BAKER
Calypso -> STREEMERZ
Boogie -> TIME WARP TICKERS
Mystery -> NINJA ASSAULT

There were various home computer versions of the editor made (Atari 8-bit, Commodore 64, Amiga, Atari ST, Apple IIGS), so I wouldn't exactly know which one was used. However, given the consistency of the Atari ST's demo tracks & the game itself, I'm willing to bet that version's usage.

I always wondered why certain tracks in Action 52 sounded awfully similar to the demo tunes of the first Amiga music editor I ever used. :wink:

Whoa! That's an incredible find! I had The Music Studio on C64, but unfortunately, I can't find the exact version I had online... the one I had used that Five4 song on the titlescreen demo thing, but most of the C64 disk images I find online have a completely different title screen graphic and music. :S If I can dig up my disk, I'll check to see if I recognize any other Action 52 songs on it, because I know mine had a few more songs than what's in that directory.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:59 pm 

kevtris wrote:
Quote:

Thanks for the info.. that was great. I knew the music was too good to be written by the same dood that made the action 52. Good to know it was stolen. LOL

Knowing that, I wonder where the graphics came from? I don't really recognize any as stolen, and I thought the graphics weren't THAT bad. Maybe the guy could only do NES graphics and not code.

Anyways, I checked around and the music driver isn't original either. I found the same driver in a few other games. I will make a list and stuff later when I do more investigation.

I don't think Activision made an NES player for the music did they? Or did they have some "developer" version?

Day dreaming davy uses the player as does eliminator boat duel. The code is slightly different on both (mainly variable allocation) but the code engine seems identical. I was going to pull the music just for fun and make new NSFs maybe. (I'm sure the NSFs have been ripped at this point though)

Wouldn't it have to be a different driver due to digital PCM used?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:40 pm 

The rip with the PCM works on PowerPak, but only to play the PCM and then say "Make your selection now", after which point it freezes and the controls do nothing. The rip without the PCM works to hear the actual music.

You can't spell STREEMERZ without ST. The music of Action 52 Streemerz was obviously based on the Atari ST version of "Calypso", not the Amiga version whose instruments sounded messy. And "Calypso" in turn seems to be some sort of sound-alike of "Jamaica Farewell", written by Lord Burgess and recorded by Harry Belafonte, which in turn is based on Iron Bar.

So we have an Nth generation copy: The ending tune of Podunkian!Streemerz is a sound-alike of Active!Streemerz, which copied Bogas!Calypso note for note, which is a sound-alike for Jamaica Farewell, which borrows Iron Bar. And the first level music of Podunkian!Streemerz, of course, is an homage to Bogas!Calypso with instrumentation more fitting the Bionic Commando game from which the game took its aesthetics.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:06 pm 

Hi, guys! I need some help with the rom Haunted Hills. I can't switch the death sound to my PCM sound, and I can't find this sound in the rom. :(