Should we add a snes section to the wiki?

Discussion about the site's wikis, including bugs/issues encountered.

Moderator: Moderators

Poll ended at Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:47 am

Yes, why not?
28%
Nah, don't see the point
11%
While you're at it, add a gb/gbc section would ya?
33%
Make another wiki for SNES
28%

Total votes: 18

Banshaku

Post by Banshaku »

Since the nes and snes are quite close brothers in a way, maybe we should add a section on it. We have the forum but I'm not aware of any wiki. Since some information about it pops here and there, it should be saved somewhere and the wiki seems the right place.

Adding the section it not an issue. I just want to know how much interest there is in it.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

I'm not technically interested on the SNES (I still play games on it though), but that's not why I voted "no". I did it because I don't think the SNES is that close to the NES, meaning that they probably wouldn't even share any of the content, so there would be no point in having them in the same wiki.

Also, once you add another console, there will always be people wanting even another one to be included, like in the third option of this poll. We don't want to clutter the wiki with information about several technically unrelated machines (the only thing they have in common is being made by the same company).

Besides, the wiki is still horribly incomplete as it is, so I think we should focus on making it the best source for NES reference ever. If we broaden the scope it will be even harder to make it good.
tepples

Post by tepples »

As a global moderator of nesdev BBS and former administrator of nesdevWiki, I nominate another option: Make another wiki for SNES.
Banshaku

Post by Banshaku »

There is one wiki that is not active at the moment. It could be used for that. I will think about the options after the poll results.
Memblers
Site Admin

Post by Memblers »

I voted yes, and why not GB/GBC. I'm not extremely interested in it, but someone else will be and maybe it would bring some more interesting folks around.
miau

Post by miau »

Yeah, there seem to be some highly competent people around here, so why not? Might be a little confusing, though, if you're using the same domain. If you plan to register another domain it might be best to choose a universal enough name that does not exclude other consoles.

It's probably an obvious suggestion, but if you want to merge it with the existing wiki, make very clear what information belongs to the SNES and what doesn't. It would be nice if you could tell just by looking at the URL of an article.

Also, sorry if there already was a discussion about it that I've missed, but is there any chance we could get rid of the "w/index.php/" or even just the "index.php/" part in the existing wiki's URL? Doesn't matter too much, I guess, it's just redundant information.
Banshaku

Post by Banshaku »

miau wrote:Also, sorry if there already was a discussion about it that I've missed, but is there any chance we could get rid of the "w/index.php/" or even just the "index.php/" part in the existing wiki's URL? Doesn't matter too much, I guess, it's just redundant information.
I did a quick check and there seems to way to remove it with some configuration and rewrite url rules. I will see if I can test it soon.
koitsu

Post by koitsu »

Please keep in mind mod_rewrite is often overkill for things like this. People resort to using it when there are less-intensive (and less confusing!) methods available.

I can take care of the /w/ rewriting on the server level rather than through .htaccess if need be. I just need to be told what it is people want vs. what's currently there.
Banshaku

Post by Banshaku »

I only started to investigate at the moment. The way with mod_rewrite is when you don't have root access. Since you are the admin, there is another way with some configuration in the apache server but I need to check how it work.
koitsu

Post by koitsu »

That's true; mod_rewrite is supported at the .htaccess level, while I tend to prefer using Alias and AliasMatch (part of mod_alias) since they work for the majority of cases.

If the Wiki maintainers want control over the redirections and all of that -- yes, absolutely feel free to use mod_rewrite directives in .htaccess. I'm 100% cool with that, no qualms. But if there's only a single rewrite that needs to happen, I can put it into the main VirtualHost configuration w/out any qualms.

All depends on who wants what, and what degree of control. :-)

I won't be held responsible for someone breaking the entire site due to .htaccess errors though, especially since the errors go into our server httpd-error.log which isn't something users have permission to look at.
tepples

Post by tepples »

koitsu wrote:I won't be held responsible for someone breaking the entire site due to .htaccess errors though, especially since the errors go into our server httpd-error.log which isn't something users have permission to look at.
I've seen cases on multiple shared hosting providers where even a blank .htaccess in a folder would cause all requests from that folder to return 500 Internal Server Error. Is that related?
blargg

Post by blargg »

miau wrote:Might be a little confusing, though, if you're using the same domain. If you plan to register another domain it might be best to choose a universal enough name that does not exclude other consoles.
Yes, please don't try to have one Wiki cover multiple systems. wiki.nesdev.com, sneswiki.nesdev.com, gbwiki.nesdev.com would be adequate URLs for separate Wiki sites, IMO.
tepples

Post by tepples »

But can you make it like Wikia or Wikimedia, where all sites are linked through the interwiki map and share one set of login credentials?
Bregalad

Post by Bregalad »

What about this and this ?
Useless, lumbering half-wits don't scare us.
Banshaku

Post by Banshaku »

@Blargg:
Adding extra sub-domain should not be an issue (as long as we have Koitsu's blessing). Another way could be:

wiki.nesdev.com/nes
wiki.nesdev.com/snes
wiki.nesdev.com/gb

This I can manage without changing any dns settings or anything. But still, the issue that Tepples raised is a good one. If there is a way to share the same accounts it would be great. It's a pain to have many account for similar wiki hosted on the same domain. I will have some research do to unless someone knows how to do it and can show me how.