It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:51 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:49 am 

tepples wrote:
My code has Allegro API calls. Allegro is supposed to be a portable wrapper around multiple operating systems' graphics, sound, and input layers. It works on DOS, Windows, and some versions of Linux, but it doesn't appear to be ported to Windows CE 3 yet. And with Microsoft deprecating CE and PDAs without a mobile data plan in favor of Windows Phone 7 Series whose apps are 100% Pure .NET code, it doesn't look likely that someone else will make such a port.

I'm using DOS emulated on a Windows CE machine, then every 16-Bits Compactiible DOS application will run. ;)

Zepper wrote:
- Right, it might be interesting and perhaps a good exercise but... I don't see the point of such effort, man. :) Why not a "netbook" with latest technology? ;)

Aleluia. Mais um brazuca! :D
Because I love HPCs.

Dwedit wrote:
TASM is an assembler which runs on 16-bit DOS. It covers a lot of different processors. You need to tell it you want 6502 mode with the -t65 switch, and make it output binary files with the -b switch.

You may need a hex editor, like Hexit. Not sure if it's 16-bit compatible or not.

Tile Layer is 32-bit dos only.

I don't know of any good 16-bit NES emulators for DOS, I think they're all 32-bit. I know that NO$GMB is 286 compatible, but that's a Gameboy emulator.

I'm going to take a look on these tools.
Thanks very much. :)

Learning 6502 ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:52 pm 

<my2cents>TASM is your best bet for compiling 6502, but it's a somewhat generic compiler, and you'll still need to run a tool like cajones or make some batch scripts to make .nes files with it.

I remember writing software in basic pds that'd convert bitmaps into nes tile format (of course that was a over a decade ago on my pentium 75MHz laptop, so it's long gone.)

Not too sure about how you'd achieve NES emulation...I'm certain that the WinCE machine could run somthing made for WinCE on it's architecture though.</my2cents>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:38 pm 

I don't know what the OP's addiction with "16-bit" is. That PocketDOS thing looks like a pile of junk; no 386 emulation? Screw it. No, seriously: screw it. Non-linear (segmented) memory models on original x86 really sucked -- there's all sorts of complexities you never think of until you actually run into them. Have you actually tried using XMS and EMS? They suck -- XMS is easier to use, but there's added complexities with it. And ;et's not forget that 640KBytes is enough for anyone... *sigh*

Otherwise, if the OP is at least willing to go 386, he can generate a DOS MZ binary (16-bit) which then makes use of something called a "DOS extender" (which transparently provides setup and functions for full 32-bit protected mode) -- like DOS32 or DOS4GW. I'm familiar with DOS32. Trust me, it's easy to use and it's a blessing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:38 pm 

koitsu wrote:
I don't know what the OP's addiction with "16-bit" is.

A 16-bit program runs in the available PC emulators that run on old-skool smartbooks from before Windows CE was called Windows Mobile. A 32-bit program does not. So the choices are to write native NES development tools for Windows CE or write a 386 PC emulator for Windows CE; both are highly complicated projects.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:41 am 

It will be hard to find tool since the device seems quite old.

If the form factor is the reason behind keeping it, you could go for something like this. The only problem is the price.. They don't give them. Very small thought. I tried at one store on the way back to work. It came out recently. WinXP, 512meg ram, atom z515, 32 gig ssd, touch screen. I wouldn't mind having one for the (literally) "crush" on the morning train.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:22 am 

That or a Pandora PDA, if it ever comes out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:31 pm 

Quote:
That or a Pandora PDA, if it ever comes out.

It already has afaik. But only in small quantities so far.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:06 pm 
Site Admin

I have what I think is the first model of the Powermate portable computer by NEC, because someone threw it out a while back. It's not a laptop only because it would break your lap, heheh. It has a 286, 640kB of RAM, VGA monochrome LCD, 3.5" floppy, dead internal HD, it's pretty nice. I don't think I'll be using it anytime soon for development though. QBASIC worked fine on it, I was going to to try CopyNES on it one time, but it couldn't be arsed to boot. 16-bit PCs are dead, heheh.