WARNING: spambot notice - Toney850

Found an issue with the phpBB system here at NESdev? Use this forum to report problems.

Moderator: Moderators

Hamtaro126

WARNING: spambot notice - Toney850

Post by Hamtaro126 »

Currently spamming about 2 advertisement testomonials in the NESDev China forum, Which is against our forum rules,

Since this type of thing happened in the wiki in the past, What move shall we do next?
AKA SmilyMZX/AtariHacker.
tepples

Post by tepples »

Bam. Per. Sand.

Occasional vandalism is a cost of doing business on a public discussion venue.
blargg

Post by blargg »

Maybe we should take a US-style approach and lock everything down, and make people wait in a security screening line for hours before being able to make each posting. That'll show the spammers that we mean business!!!!1!1
Dwedit

Post by Dwedit »

I just use spam-trap textareas (hidden with CSS), and disallowing links in a user's first post, and my board is nearly spam free.

Also need to make the register page has the fake textboxes too, to stop stupid bots from registering.
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!
blargg

Post by blargg »

What I always thought would be cool is a board that makes the spammer think he's successfully posted, where he can see his post and perhaps navigate, but he's really just posted to a fake board. You'd obviously only do this when you're sure he's a spammer, for example he fills in the hidden text area you mention.