silly little rotation effect

Discussion of hardware and software development for Super NES and Super Famicom. See the SNESdev wiki for more information.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
  • For making cartridges of your Super NES games, see Reproduction.
psycopathicteen

silly little rotation effect

Post by psycopathicteen »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMrnxUF93HA

I was just playing around with graphics hardware.
tepples

Post by tepples »

Slow it down and it'd be a nice effect for a level on a ship.
koitsu

Post by koitsu »

There's a SFC game which does exactly that -- it's called Septentrion (SOS in the US).
psycopathicteen

What level?
koitsu

Post by koitsu »

The entire game.

EDIT: Here's an example (go to 04:45 or so).
ccovell

Post by ccovell »

Teen's actually doing it a little differently from Septentrion. That game runs in Mode 7 all the time, and it's OK, because it doesn't need two background layers.

Teen's game needs parallax backgrounds which is impossible in Mode 7, so he uses one of the regular 2(?)-BG modes that allow for row & column raster effects. It's not rotation as much as X- and Y- shearing.

So a better comparison would be Gynoug/Wings of Wor on the MD.

Anyway, a cool-looking effect!
psycopathicteen

ccovell wrote:Teen's actually doing it a little differently from Septentrion. That game runs in Mode 7 all the time, and it's OK, because it doesn't need two background layers.

Teen's game needs parallax backgrounds which is impossible in Mode 7, so he uses one of the regular 2(?)-BG modes that allow for row & column raster effects. It's not rotation as much as X- and Y- shearing.

Anyway, a cool-looking effect!
Great, now post your explanation on the website, http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/16 ... i-do-this/
tepples

Post by tepples »

ccovell wrote:Teen's game needs parallax backgrounds which is impossible in Mode 7
Unless you fake them out of sprites, as seen in Cameltry/On the Ball. That can work unless you need more than half coverage in the background.
so he uses one of the regular 2(?)-BG modes that allow for row & column raster effects.
So it's the mode used for Tetris Attack and "Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy" of Yoshi's Island, just with X shearing to match the Y offsets. I can sort of see the artifact here: fractional shear values update once every 8 values, just like on TFGD. Perhaps I'm just spoiled by the GBA, which has parallax mode 7 and four times the sprite overdraw but lacks offset per tile.
I believe you're referring to this. Yes, it looks like the MD has offset per 16 pixels, but I'm not sure whether that and horizontal offset per tile/line can be used at once. But how the heck did Sonic 1 do its bonus stage?
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

tepples wrote:But how the heck did Sonic 1 do its bonus stage?
Sprites. Notice how the stages are designed without long straight sequences of blocks, to reduce the number of sprites sharing the same scanlines.
smkd

Post by smkd »

tepples wrote:Slow it down and it'd be a nice effect for a level on a ship.
Like Puggsy demonstrates. although the vertical 16 pixel columns are pretty noticable it still looks pretty good in motion. 8 pixel columns on the SNES would look much nicer.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

Is that how they made the Floating Island in Sonic & Knuckles too?
ccovell

Post by ccovell »

psycopathicteen wrote:Great, now post your explanation on the website, http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/16 ... i-do-this/
Naah, I'll let other people try and figure it out.

By Wings of Wor, I was referring to the first level, yeah, but especially the 5th level: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5OHr9H4yrU#t=0m50s

Gunstar Heroes does it for the helicopter too. Etc. (And, er, Vectorman just totally ripped off GH, didn't it?)
Dwedit

Post by Dwedit »

I think it's really neat that you can accomplish simple affine transformations just by using Offsets Per Tile mode, combined with X scrolling. I never would have thought that this would work so well.

Looks like angles can range between -7.125 and 7.125 degrees before seeing artifacts from being too steep.
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!
Bregalad

Post by Bregalad »

I think it's really neat that you can accomplish simple affine transformations just by using Offsets Per Tile mode, combined with X scrolling. I never would have thought that this would work so well.
It works so well because cos(x) is close to 1 if x is close to 0, and because sin(x) is close to x if x is close to 0. (1st degree taylor devlopment).

I always had the feeling the "offset per tile" mode on the SNES went seriously under-used. Chrono Trigger's title screen, Contra III's first boss, and the elevators in Super Double Dragon's stage 1, it's all I can remember.
Useless, lumbering half-wits don't scare us.
psycopathicteen

I've always felt the same way too. Since it was commonly used on the Genesis but not on the Snes, and tile per offset mode was unknown to the gaming public, people started beleiving the 68000 was so fast that it could rotate large backgrounds pixel by pixel in real time.

It just goes to show you, Genesis got all the badass programmers, Snes got all the dorky programmers.