silly little rotation effect

Discussion of hardware and software development for Super NES and Super Famicom. See the SNESdev wiki for more information.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
  • For making cartridges of your Super NES games, see Reproduction.
tepples

Post by tepples »

psycopathicteen wrote:Since it was commonly used on the Genesis but not on the Snes, and tile per offset mode was unknown to the gaming public, people started beleiving the 68000 was so fast that it could rotate large backgrounds pixel by pixel in real time.
Yet Mode 7 in games like F-Zero didn't have the same effect on public perception of the 65C816.
It just goes to show you, Genesis got all the badass programmers
Or at least the ones familiar with Atari ST or the Amiga (which just turned 25).
psycopathicteen

Post by psycopathicteen »

tepples wrote: Yet Mode 7 in games like F-Zero didn't have the same effect on public perception of the 65C816.
Thanks to Nintendo being open to the public about the Snes's Mode-7 feature, and how the 65816 already had a horribly bad reputation once the Super Nintendo came out.
tepples wrote: Or at least the ones familiar with Atari ST or the Amiga (which just turned 25).
Probably
mic_

Post by mic_ »

Yet Mode 7 in games like F-Zero didn't have the same effect on public perception of the 65C816.
Maybe because Mode 7 was used in marketing, so that it was understood that it was a feature of the video processor. I recall having seen the term "mode 7" in one or more of those brochures they sent out to Nintendo Club members here in Sweden in the early '90s (and those were usually very low on technical details).
psycopathicteen

Konami is one of those companies who used TPO mode on the Genesis hundreds of times, but largely ignored the TPO mode on the Snes.

EDIT: I just did some math.

a 64x64 square "rotated" turns into a parallelagram that is 63.506 x 64.498 and has corners of 89.888 and 90.112 degrees. Pretty close!
tepples

Post by tepples »

Perhaps it's because offsetting had its own buffer on the Genesis VDP (because it's per 2 columns of the whole screen) but required full nametable rewrites on the Super NES PPU (because it's actually per tile).
psycopathicteen

tepples wrote:Perhaps it's because offsetting had its own buffer on the Genesis VDP (because it's per 2 columns of the whole screen) but required full nametable rewrites on the Super NES PPU (because it's actually per tile).
When you write it into the second row of tiles of bg3 with #$20 written between scroll offsets, it scrolls the collumns whole. I don't know why I need to write #$20, it just works with that value but not with #$00. I guess I can do some playing to see what happens when I use other numbers.
kode54

Post by kode54 »

Bregalad wrote:"offset per tile"
There was at least one fortress level in Yoshi's Island that used it for platforms waving in a sinusoidal pattern. At least I think it was using offset per tile, since they froze in place when I switched that off in Snes9x.
psycopathicteen

kode54 wrote:
Bregalad wrote:"offset per tile"
There was at least one fortress level in Yoshi's Island that used it for platforms waving in a sinusoidal pattern. At least I think it was using offset per tile, since they froze in place when I switched that off in Snes9x.
I always wondered if those were sprites or offset-per-tile mode. If it froze in place when deactivating tile-per-offset, then they were tile-per-offset.
Dwedit

Post by Dwedit »

Did anyone yet mention that Tetris Attack makes extensive use of Offsets Per Tile?
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!
tepples

Post by tepples »

Stef

Re:

Post by Stef »

tepples wrote:Perhaps it's because offsetting had its own buffer on the Genesis VDP (because it's per 2 columns of the whole screen) but required full nametable rewrites on the Super NES PPU (because it's actually per tile).
Definitely this. Because the Genesis offers it in a much simpler way, offset per tile mode looks over complicated when you read the SNES doc and using it for simple column scrolling is not as obvious as on the MD.