Forum index

Found an issue with the phpBB system here at NESdev? Use this forum to report problems.

Moderator: Moderators

thefox

Forum index

Post by thefox »

There's a lot of interesting, long threads in the forums (NESdev and NESemdev especially) that get buried under some 2-3 post threads after they're no longer active. Should we make a forum index (a sticky post) of selected threads, organized by topics like algorithms, scrolling, compression, hardware oddities etc?
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

I like the idea. It would possibly even reduce the amount of re-posting if people took a quick look at this thread before posting.
tepples

Post by tepples »

You could make a page on the wiki about notable forum topics. (If you don't have an account, make one and then PM me to get edit privileges.) Ideally, the information in those topics should be distilled into other pages on the wiki.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

The problem is that some people who visit/post here don't even know the wiki exists. I really think that a sticky post indexing the most relevant topics on the board would be great for everyone.
tepples

Post by tepples »

Only one user (and moderators) can edit each post. So would each user who wants to promote a set of forum topics have a post in the sticky topic to promote those topics? If so, that topic could get long.
Banshaku

Post by Banshaku »

Instead of "sticky-ing" all the post that could be interesting (which could be a lot and make quite a mess), you make 1 special sticky per forum that contain one message only. This message will contain links to all messages of interest which a small explanation of that thread to make it even easier.

I think that could be a good compromise.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

Banshaku wrote:Instead of "sticky-ing" all the post that could be interesting (which could be a lot and make quite a mess), you make 1 special sticky per forum that contain one message only. This message will contain links to all messages of interest which a small explanation of that thread to make it even easier.
If I understood it correctly, that was the idea all along... =)
tepples

Post by tepples »

Banshaku wrote:Instead of "sticky-ing" all the post that could be interesting (which could be a lot and make quite a mess), you make 1 special sticky per forum that contain one message only.
But which user would own this message?
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

tepples wrote:But which user would own this message?
The one who feels most like going through the threads and categorizing them.
Banshaku

Post by Banshaku »

tokumaru wrote:If I understood it correctly, that was the idea all along... =)
My mistake. I read the thread too fast.
thefox

Post by thefox »

tepples wrote:
Banshaku wrote:Instead of "sticky-ing" all the post that could be interesting (which could be a lot and make quite a mess), you make 1 special sticky per forum that contain one message only.
But which user would own this message?
I think we should have a thread (this one will work) where people can suggest stuff to be added to the index post, the author of the original message or the mods can modify it based on that. I'll try to come up with an initial categorization the next time I'm bored on a lecture. But if somebody else wants to do it, feel free. :)
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

Am I being dense? Why not have a sticky that goes to the wiki so that we all can update it?
blargg

Post by blargg »

I used to get my lava in a knot over threads getting cluttered, but I realized that the board is strictly for discussion. That is, a chronological log of things people write. The Wiki is the place for organized, relevant information without discussion (though there are the talk pages). As others have said, the Wiki can have links to useful threads here, and eventually distill the information into the Wiki itself. Any stickies here should just have essential information a reader of this forum might find useful about where the Wiki is, how to use the board, where to post, etc.
tepples

Post by tepples »

blargg wrote:As others have said, the Wiki can have links to useful threads here, and eventually distill the information into the Wiki itself. Any stickies here should just have essential information a reader of this forum might find useful about where the Wiki is, how to use the board, where to post, etc.
Agreed with you and lidnariq. Under a plan like this, there would be a sticky topic in each forum linking to a wiki page with a title like "NESdev forum topics" or "NESemdev forum topics". Eventually, bare links from these would get rewritten into programming guides and the like on the main body of the wiki.