Anyone good at pixelart? Help me finish this font from MM4!

A place for your artistic side. Discuss techniques and tools for pixel art on the NES, GBC, or similar platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

SatoshiMatrix

Anyone good at pixelart? Help me finish this font from MM4!

Post by SatoshiMatrix »

Can someone here help me with a small project? When I was taking screenshots for my Megaman 4 review, I sort of fell in love with the font used for the "get weapon" screen. I've ripped every letter used by the font in the game, but it omits the lesser used letters of Q, X and Z. I want the complete font for future sprite projects as I happen to really like this font.

If anyone here is up to the challenge, I'm looking for someone who can create these letters using the same sprite style as the rest of the letters.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30701966@N ... otostream/

For ease of use, I've already compiled them into a .png and left space for the missing letters. Opening the image up in even paint and saving it as a .png is fine. The sprite size limit is 7 pixels high and 6 pixels wide.

Thanks!

By the way, my megaman 4 review: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/2010 ... eview-nes/
Kasumi

Post by Kasumi »

No need for a pixel artist. Capcom artists did make those letters even if they were never used them in actual "get weapon" text.

So there they all are. I replaced all the ones you had, because your W wasn't the same. Possibly others. They aren't spaced as you had them because of this.
clueless

Post by clueless »

That font looks very similar to the one in Yar's Revenge (original Atari 2600 version, by Howard Scott Warshaw). The font in Yar's Revenge only contains enough characters for the score (0-9), the word "SELECT" and "HSWWSH", so it won't help you. Just on observation though (especially if you were looking for the decimal digits).

The source code, with the glyphs for the chars, is available at "romhacking.net":

http://www.romhacking.net/docs/495/
Dwedit

Post by Dwedit »

I made a .FON version, so you can use it in anything that supports Bitmap Fonts. (Bitmap fonts work much better in MS Paint or TextPad than Word or Photo editing software)

Download MM4 Font

Contains characters A-Z, lowercase is a copy of uppercase. Numbers and punctuation are still taken from the stereotypical NES Font.

By the way, making FON files is really easy to do, as long as you have made any other FON files. I only ever made one FON file the hard way using Softy. After that, you can use YY-CHR, and open a FON file in 1bpp mode, and copy-paste CHR data in to replace the previous font.
Then re-open the font with Softy, change the font name in the header, and save to a new file.
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!
SatoshiMatrix

Post by SatoshiMatrix »

Thanks guys! I really love this font. I want to use it in a new banner for my blog.

Since I'm going to be updating the banner anyway, do you guys have any suggestions for what I should change the name to?

Here's my blog. I review mostly retro games, post tutorials, editorials and occasionally, hacks and mods.

http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/
SatoshiMatrix

Post by SatoshiMatrix »

Sorry to double post, but I need something else.

Anyone here up to the challenge of adding in the & symbol in this font style? I need it for my new banner. numbers would able be great.
clueless

Post by clueless »

Suitable numbers are available in the Yar's Revenge source code (look near the bottom, starting at line #2685). Note that they are upside down, which is typical of graphics assets in Atari 2600 games (makes them easier to feed into the TIA during hblank).